• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New gun for $250?

Nate245

imported post

What kind(if any) handgun can I get for $250? Used is fine but I really want something that is more than a .380ACP or a .22LR I am not finding any really past a .22LR or a .380ACP. I would like something more smaller than a 4" maybe 2.5" or 3"inch what is there out there? Thanks for your help:)

Decoligny

imported post

Check out the Hi-Point C9 9mm. I got mine for just over $200.00 out the door in California. Reliable weapon, not glamorous, but very functional.

I have put about 800 rounds through mine, and after a few slight adjustments (see Hi-Point forum) it performs flawlessly.

AbNo

imported post

Yep. For a sub-$300 handgun, get a C9, or perhaps one of HiPoint's .45 models.

Not pretty, and you'll get some flak from gun snobs (usually people that have never used one, and/or Glock-snobs), but reliable, and if you do break it, you get a fix without a problem. :)

Nate245

imported post

well I went out on Sat. and got a C9 I am happy for the price I think it will do just fine I like it cause it is one gun that I can take and not care if it gets a scratch or not. (not that I want it to or anything) have yet to shoot it but I only have 50 rounds. I got the gun and 50 rounds for $197 that is after tax and background checks. Thanks for letting me know about this gun I had never heard of them before but I did a lot of research and think that for OC or CC it will work just fine:) does anyone know where you can get ammo for cheap?

AbNo

imported post

Well, if Georgia Arms has a table at a nearby gun show, you could try them.

It's kinda hard to recommend places when you don't have a location in your profile. :)

Evil Ernie

imported post

Nate245 wrote:
well I went out on Sat. and got a C9 I am happy for the price I think it will do just fine I like it cause it is one gun that I can take and not care if it gets a scratch or not. (not that I want it to or anything) have yet to shoot it but I only have 50 rounds. I got the gun and 50 rounds for $197 that is after tax and background checks. Thanks for letting me know about this gun I had never heard of them before but I did a lot of research and think that for OC or CC it will work just fine:) does anyone know where you can get ammo for cheap?
Welcome new C9 owner!!! Now right off the bat, polish the feedramp!!! Do some serious break-in on the "Charlie Niner" as well. You'll probably have to tweak the lips on the mags so bring a pair of needlenose pliers with ya to the range. Usually about 500 rounds will break them in nicely. Also, when shooting, keep a FIRM wrist. These are blowback operated and if you limpwrist it, it will definitely jam. I've had one for over a year now and it always comes with me to the range. My wife has taken it as hers and she's brutally accurate with it. She's put almost 1K thru it now and we're very happy with the lil cheapie pistol.
Most of all, do NOT get discouraged!!! It was under $200 so some patience and tweaking will be required. Once its all broken-in and tweaked, she'll run forever and outshoot most glocks!!! LOL!!!
Hi Points are a sweet disease tho. Much like Mosinitis, the addiction to cheap thrills is sometimes to tempting to pass up.
Here's a "therapy" group for your pleasure:
www.hipointtalk.com

JBURGII

imported post

I agree with Evil Ernie, they are adictive. I purchased the JHP .45 by Hi-Point and have a blast with it. Very correct about polishing the feed ramp and tweaking the mag a bit.. had to with mine.. but since then is great.. fun and inexpensive. Next on my shopping list is the carbines..

J

www.bushmanparts.comfor some custom Hi-Point accessories..

Hcidem

imported post

Congrats on the C-9! I was in the same position back in May...decisions, decisions. I finally decided on the C-9 based upon its reliability and the company's warranty policy. These have been well documented in the various forums which discuss Hi-Point (by owners).

I followed the advice shared by C-9 owners. Took it to the range. Shot a few hundred rounds. Made sure the mags fit the cartridges, etc.

Mine was gently used, so I did not have to polish the feed ramp. Within 300 rounds, I purchased a reloading kit to keep my target practice inexpensive. (Now I have another hobby.)

Another few hundred rounds, and I have only had one misfeed. This was from a reloaded casing which should not have been used (in hindsight). For daily carry, I will only use factory loads (and practice with these regularly as well).

Some say it is little better than a brick. I say that a brick can be an effective weapon if you run out of cartridges. ;)

Have fun with it!

Nate245

imported post

OK will do I will polish the feedramp(what is a feed ramp? I know stupid me but I am new) and take it out to the range ASAP! Though I do not live by a range I might take it out in the desert and tweak it that way. how do I tweak the mag? Sorry if this is a no brainer I am still new to this type of gun and all. do I need to use anything to polish the feedramp? sorry for all the questions I just want it to work out for me that is all:) To tell you the truth I kinda like the C9 better than the XD45 I am not sure why but the XD45 seemed..... Well a little much for every day carry it was kinda heavy and fat but the C9 is slimmer and I feel better about it carry wise cause it is not making my hip feel a thousand pounds lol thanks for all the help and stuff happy Ocing to all!

from the sounds of it I got a good gun for the price!

P.S. I am checking out the web sites you all posted:)

I was also wondering about keeping the mag loaded? I would like to keep it loaded all the time for fast grab and shoot if need be is this OK? or should I not leave it loaded? Thanks again for all your help!
moz-screenshot.jpg

Hcidem

imported post

I decided to leave the fluff and buff details to the dedicated Hi-Point forums already listed. Their break-in guidelines are excellent (and we do not necessarily want to share this Highly Advanced Technology (H.A.T.) with the "boutique" gun owners :cool:).

However, you will want to look into conditioning your mags during your break-in period (this is also covered in the fluff and buff details). There have been occasional reports of new mags misfeeding second rounds. I never had this problem, but my mags were gently used.

My used C-9 came with two mags and a Hogue grip (the latter of which I never use). Hi-Point mags are very affordable. I would advocate purchasing a spare so you can keep your primary mag(s) loaded, but also have oneresting its spring. You can then rotate your mags after each training shoot.

Hcidem

imported post

Nate245 wrote:
...To tell you the truth I kinda like the C9 better than the XD45 I am not sure why but the XD45 seemed..... Well a little much for every day carry it was kinda heavy and fat but the C9 is slimmer and I feel better about it carry wise cause it is not making my hip feel a thousand pounds lol thanks for all the help and stuff happy Ocing to all!

Be careful with that! The "boutiqueys" might claim you own stock in Beemiller or something. :D

Now, I know that a .45 will generally be heavier than a 9mm, but heavier than a Hi-Point? Say it aint so!.... You make that XD45 sound like...shall I say it?....a BRICK?

Seriously though, your statement supports my view that a carrier has to be comfortable with his weapon of choice. I like my C-9's simple features, and I do not find it too heavy for the purposes I intend for it. I am sure most owners of "fine" pistols select their weapons for the features they offer rather than any status they might seem to convey to their owners.

I am planning on getting my Michigan CPL (CCW) in the future, and the C-9 will probably be reserved for other purposes. However, that same C-9 will serve as a template and my frame-of-reference in selected a concealed carry pistol.

JBURGII

imported post

Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy my H-P .45 but on occasion accidentally try to put my versapak battery in the mag well... hehe.. (j/k)

The factory mag kinda resembles a rechargeable drill..

Hcidem

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
...but on occasion accidentally try to put my versapak battery in the mag well... hehe.. (j/k)

The factory mag kinda resembles a rechargeable drill..
That's probably better than inserting the mag into the versapak recharger...zzz..zzz..pht!

TechnoWeenie

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Yep. For a sub-$300 handgun, get a C9, or perhaps one of HiPoint's .45 models.

Not pretty, and you'll get some flak from gun snobs (usually people that have never used one, and/or Glock-snobs), but reliable, and if you do break it, you get a fix without a problem. :)
Hey, I own a Glock and I think Hi-Points are Ok.

You see, the Glock looks like a brick, but the Hi-Point IS the brick.

I carry a C9 as a backup gun, because if I run out of ammo for my Glock, I can throw the C9 at him...

:celebrate

J/k

But seriously, other than the aforementioned mag/feed ramp tweaking, I've never heard anything bad about them....