• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harrassed by Jackson County Sherrif at local Quick Trip

warlocke

imported post

prophettm wrote:
Flyer22 wrote:
I would have handed him a copy ofa pamphlet with the state laws on it (you do carry one, right?) and simply ignored him after that.The actual law has the best chance of shutting up somebody like that.

Where can I get a copy of this?? We live at 69th and Prospect and OC 24/7, but I was told the other day that we were "breaking the law, only the police can OC" by a DA officer (DA meaning dumbass) and when I told this moron that jackson county was OC he said next time I'll be hauled off on a felony gun charge, "pregnant or not.." So, I got a 2nd beltholster for my other 9mm, and plan on carrying double now. Not gonna get raped or mugged in my own neughborhood, and definitely not going to be intimidated by a rogue cop. Needless to say, I filed a stack of formals on him and his sgt. who backed him on the issue..

I wasn't worried about any of that until I went to Denny's Guns yesterday and some former employee who claimed to live in KCMO got in a heated argument with me about how KC isn't OC now.. I called the city and county and they all said OC is just fine as long as it stay holstered..

agreed, where can i get a copy of the laws on a pamphlet?

i will carry around a printout of the city ordinances regarding public safetey, in lees summit its ordiance 17-162.

kerbos5

imported post

You don't by chance remember the name of the officer and the Sgt. thatbacked himdo you, being very closeto the KCMO PD, I would be curious to here thereargument to this incidentand even run this by a few friends that I know have more experience and rank than the above. I have done some research on your incident and I can't find any K.C. statute or subthat might apply to there argument. By doing this we may or may not learn something new about the laws of KCMO, on the other hand maybe we can teach this officer and his "boss" something new, after all they don't sit around and read all the laws of K.C., and I wouldnt expect them to, they have more important things to do.

Richieg150

imported post

after all they don't sit around and read all the laws of K.C., and I wouldnt expect them to, they have more important things to do.HMMMMMMMMMMM,well I for one,think thats the least a LEO should do is the KNOW the laws they are SUPPOSED,or TRYING to enforce!I know in my line of work,I have to know different laws and codes to perform my job......I was once told by a judge that ignorance of the law is no excuse ,the same standard should hold true for LEO's.If they are REALLY trying to do their job in a professional manner.

TLNEditor

imported post

If any of y'all have a problem in the Henry, Benton or St. Clair County areas, I would like to know.

Also feel free to drop us line if you know of any good stories in the Truman Lake Area.

Pat

Lead_Dog

imported post

I notice your post is pretty old but I'm taking a chance here. Do you know how long a county department has to respond to a public information request? I need the laws and the Freedom of Information statutes in Missouri. I live in Carthage and am having problems getting things accomplished. I appreciate your help.

aadvark

imported post

Sounds to me that He Violated your 2nd, 4th, and 14th Amendment Rights.

Superlite27

imported post

Lead_Dog wrote:
I notice your post is pretty old but I'm taking a chance here. Do you know how long a county department has to respond to a public information request? I need the laws and the Freedom of Information statutes in Missouri. I live in Carthage and am having problems getting things accomplished. I appreciate your help.

Here is the text of Revised Missouri Statute Chapter 610 straight from the Mo government web site:

http://ago.mo.gov/sunshinelaw/chapter610.htm#header11

You might want to peruse this nifty little document for your own benefit just to see if you can uncover some neat little gems, but just during a cursory read through, I came up with this:

Pay particular attention to 610.023, subparagraph 3:

3. Each request for access to a public record shall be acted upon as soon as possible, but in no event later than the end of the third business day following the date the request is received by the custodian of records of a public governmental body.

The neat thing about this site from the Missouri Government, is that it also explains procedures and fines for government officials failing to comply. So you can use this info to perform a FOIA request, and if a government agent fails to follow the procedures in the "sunshine law" as it is called in Missouri, it also spells out the procedures to make the "slacker" government official pay through the nose if they don't follow the procedures outlined.

Hope this helps!