• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New and alarmed at what I've been reading.

Mungo

imported post

New to the forum. I've been reading around and I am very alarmed at what I've read so far. I've had my CCW license for many years now and the gun safe is getting cluttered with weapons I thought would be good CCW. Not finding a good balance between caliber and size, I'm more interested in carrying open now.

However, I am greatly alarmed at what I've been reading here. Especially since I am a resident of Cary (and NC native). Despite my CCW class, which was long ago, I always thought one could carry open as long as they didn't create a public disturbance. I'm not certain which is more dangerous, my previous ignorance, or these laws that prohibit firearm carry.

While I am ashamed to admit my ignorance, I want to know what can one do to help prevent the further "infringement"?

Gilly

imported post

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but there are no laws that prohibit open carry of a firearm. There are several Cary residents that post here that carry openly on a daily basis. I don't live in Cary, but I carry openly all the time and have never been confronted about it. Welcome to the site!

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

I have my Concealed Carry License. However, I open carry every single day of my life (that is not an exaggeration). The reason is because I don't have any of those "pea-shooters" that you can just slide into a jean pocket, and most of the time I am not wearing a wardrobe that can hide a hip holster. I have been spotted by numerous different police officers on numerous different occasions at numerous different locations. Sometimes I even nod at them, and vice versa. I've never even had one of them give me a strange face, much less say anything. Open carry is legal, and the police respect that.

Dont sweat it so much, you aren't going to get in trouble.

no carry permit ?

imported post

Wilson0351 wrote:
The only issue of carry is they don't allow sub-compacts.

Not illegal to open carry a subcompact in North Carolina. Chapel Hill passed an ordinancebanning open carry of an easily concealed firearm, but the size requirements are met by even a Glock 26/ 27. Kind of a stupid law, no open carry of an easily concealed weapon, LOL.

I open carry in Cary weekly, no problems. My first problem in North Carolina occur-ed this week in Raleigh. I have come to the conclusion that some cops think they can ignore the law andmake up their own. Poor training and officers with little education also contribute to the problem.

The remedy: If you carry know the law, be able to quote it or carry it with you. A pocket recorder is a necessity as officers lie to cover their butt all the time. Then when necessary be willing to litigate for violations of your Rights by law enforcement.

Take no shit from them for lawful conduct. Sure they hate open carry (or many/most do) so what.Who cares, they are Civil servants NOT ruler &King.

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

It's perfectly legal to open carry in Cary. I live in Cary, and I OC EVERY day, without issues...I'm not aware of any limitation on the size of the gun you carry. I carry an XD 9 sub-compact. Chapel Hill has restriction on barrel length, but I'm not aware of one in Cary.

BRobb19

imported post

Wilson0351 wrote:
The only issue of carry is they don't allow sub-compacts.

You either just made this up yourself, or someone else made it up and somehow convinced you to believe it.

There is no law against sub-compact firearms, and I certainly invite you to prove otherwise.

Have a nice day.

BRobb19

imported post

no carry permit ? wrote:
Just be prepared to prove it's legal. The police are 90% bull@#$% artists.

what do you mean? if i choose to carry my firearm with a flaming, flowery, fairy design attached to the grip by a pink rubber band, shall i be prepared to prove that's legal too?

the only thing i would need to prove in that instance would be that i am not actually a flamer.. lol

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why would you even need to prove that? Are homosexuals not allowed firearms? :shock:

Honestly, I'd prefer a cop to mistakenly think I was gay if it got him to leave me in peace. Not that cops actually leave gays alone, or anything. But, if I saw a pink pistol, or a Pink Pistol, I would not assume "violent criminal!" ;)

Mungo

imported post

Thanks for the welcome.

I stumbled on this site looking for open carry regulations. After reading several posts of people being detained, I got a little angry. Like you say, there should be nothing wrong with legal behavior.

Anyway, look for me carrying around here in Cary. And if you guys haven't had that dinner yet, perhaps I'll get a chance to meet some of you.

no carry permit ?

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
no carry permit ? wrote:
Just be prepared to prove it's legal. The police are 90% bull@#$% artists.

what do you mean? if i choose to carry my firearm with a flaming, flowery, fairy design attached to the grip by a pink rubber band, shall i be prepared to prove that's legal too?

the only thing i would need to prove in that instance would be that i am not actually a flamer.. lol

I totally 100% agree !

but after meeting/ speaking with two Sgts & a LT. with Raleigh PD (filed a formal in person complaint with internal affairs this week), I would tell you that the police around here are poorly trained and extraordinarily ignorant of the law. Perhaps they just ignore the law, but I really think they are clueless. Fuquway Varina is another problem spot in our area.

strangewayfarer

imported post

I was eating in a restaurant in Fayetteville 2 months ago and at the table next to mine where two Fayetteville Police Officers. A guy sitting near them started talking to them about a CCW as he was just getting his.

After going over a few things they then told him that having a CCW does not allow you to open carry and that therefore it is illegal. Even went on to describe an incident that happened (I believe they said in Sam's Club, not sure) where they told as much to another guy that was open carrying. Anyway not sure if it was a broad thinking in Fayette-nam PDor just those two guys?

ParaChem

imported post

strangewayfarer wrote:
I was eating in a restaurant in Fayetteville 2 months ago and at the table next to mine where two Fayetteville Police Officers. A guy sitting near them started talking to them about a CCW as he was just getting his.

After going over a few things they then told him that having a CCW does not allow you to open carry and that therefore it is illegal. Even went on to describe an incident that happened (I believe they said in Sam's Club, not sure) where they told as much to another guy that was open carrying. Anyway not sure if it was a broad thinking in Fayette-nam PDor just those two guys?

Could have been those two were new. PD that I spoke with one was a Dectective the other was Senior Traffic Officer.

But then again, just cause the few I spoke to say one thing doesn't speak for the rest.

They are wrong though, it is legal to OC in Fayettenam, unless in a restricted area, like Schools, parades, passes that sell alcohol, &Target, to name a few...