• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plaxico Burress Shoots him self...

IrRelevant

imported post

Banged Up -- NY Giants Star Shoots Himself
Posted Nov 29th 2008 12:30PM by TMZ Staff

He's shot himself in the foot all season, and now it appears NY Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg last night -- with an actual firearm!

It all went down in a Manhattan nightclub called The Latin Quarter -- details of the incident are sketchy and so far a police report has not been filed.

Burress' leg injury is being reported as "non-life threatening" and he reportedly left the hospital some time this morning.

It's been a hell of a year for Plax, who was fined heavily earlier this season for ditching a team meeting.

Calls to Plaxico's agent were not returned

Idiot! I hope they charge him with illegal posession of a concealed weapon within the nightclub. AndI hope they charge him with illegal posession of a firearm in NYC anyway. Discuss...

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thiscertainly does not sound like the actions of a law abiding citizen to me. Is there some special dispensation for NFL players?

I was recently telling my daughter how evil guns "go off" and that it usually involves someone's finger being on the trigger. I wonder who's finger was on the trigger.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

cccook wrote:
Thiscertainly does not sound like the actions of a law abiding citizen to me. Is there some special dispensation for NFL players?

Sounds like a typical ND to me. Don't go dancing at the club with a chambered Glock.

PT111

imported post

He did have a FL CHP but may have expired last month. Even if he did it was not good in NY and the article I read made no mention of any other permit, just the councers let him in knowing he had a gun and then when he became drunk tried to isolate him. I am very hesitant to accept the current account of what happened but they may be telling the truth.

Gordie

imported post

Apparently he not only escaped being arrested at the time, but was allowed to give the gun to a friend of his to take away.If it had been any average citizen they would have been arrested on the spot, and thegun would have been confiscated. If the gun had been passed off to a friend, they would have been charged with illegal possession and with interfering with a criminal investigation by removing evidence.

This is ridiculous.New York does not recognize another states CCW permit, so unless he had a NY permit he was breaking the law. Even though most of us believe that we should have the right to carry without the requirement of a permit, going to a club and getting drunk is not something very many of us would advocate while carrying.He was also apparently drunk, just like a car and alcohol don't mix, neither do guns and alcohol. If you have to go out and get drunk, be responsible and let someone else stay sober and provide security.

What a disgrace.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why would we want someone charged with a CCW violation? Wrong direction! We want CCW restrictions changed, if not rescinded completely.

Getting shot in the leg will cure most folks of any casualness about firearm safety. It should be more than enough penalty.

PT111

imported post

Gordie wrote:
Apparently he not only escaped being arrested at the time, but was allowed to give the gun to a friend of his to take away.If it had been any average citizen they would have been arrested on the spot, and thegun would have been confiscated. If the gun had been passed off to a friend, they would have been charged with illegal possession and with interfering with a criminal investigation by removing evidence.

This is ridiculous.New York does not recognize another states CCW permit, so unless he had a NY permit he was breaking the law. Even though most of us believe that we should have the right to carry without the requirement of a permit, going to a club and getting drunk is not something very many of us would advocate while carrying.He was also apparently drunk, just like a car and alcohol don't mix, neither do guns and alcohol. If you have to go out and get drunk, be responsible and let someone else stay sober and provide security.

What a disgrace.

According to the reports that I read the police were not even notified after he went to the hospital soI can't blame the ploice on this. You are correct that the club owner/manager would have had most of us arrested but it seems that this was withheld from the police. Both have now been arrested.

Jizzzle

imported post

Latest reports state that it was a .40 cal which is a "serious gun", Um arn't all guns serious? And also it was reported that the gun went off after it started to slide down the waistband of his pants and he tried to retrieve it... Um, if you are a professional football player can't u afford to get a decent holster of some kind? why tuck it in ur pants? WTF? Thats super retarded.

AbNo

imported post

Jizzle wrote:
Um, if you are a professional football player can't u afford to get a decent holster of some kind? why tuck it in ur pants? WTF? Thats super retarded.
That's not how we wear guns in the 'hood, yo! :quirky

Toymaker

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Why would we want someone charged with a CCW violation? Wrong direction! We want CCW restrictions changed, if not rescinded completely.

Getting shot in the leg will cure most folks of any casualness about firearm safety. It should be more than enough penalty.

I have to agree with Citizen on this one.

What Plaxico Burress did was stupid, carrying while intoxicated, carrying loosely in his waistband and then the negligent discharge.........BUT, the Sullivan Act is also a stupid law and a blatant violation of the Second Amendment.

Burress isn't being charged with reckless endangerment or anything to that effect. He's being charged with carrying a pistol without a license.

I don't care if he's an NFL football player or the average guy at the check-in counter at JFK Airport, the law is still Un-Constitutional.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Toymaker wrote:
Citizen wrote:

I have to agree with Citizen on this one.

What Plaxico Burress did was stupid, carrying while intoxicated, carrying loosely in his waistband and then the negligent discharge.........BUT, the Sullivan Act is also a stupid law and a blatant violation of the Second Amendment.

Burress isn't being charged with reckless endangerment or anything to that effect. He's being charged with carrying a pistol without a license.

I don't care if he's an NFL football player or the average guy at the check-in counter at JFK Airport, the law is still Un-Constitutional.
Ok, sure, it's unConstitutional, but until the law changes, folks have to abide by it. Sorry, thats the way things go. Until folks in NYC, NJ, CA, IL etc., get busy and have the laws changed, we have to deal with it. Unfortunately, these laws have been in place for so long that they've become the "norm". Even the so called "conservative" legislators consistently vote for more gun control. Fighting them will take ALOT of money, time, and resources. Being that as it may, residents of those police states are more worried about their 401's, portfolios, BMW's, and whatever other bullspit they deem important. They cannot be bothered by such trivial things as "rights" and "liberties".

Now, as far as Plaxico (what the hell kinda name is that) is concerned, I only wish that it would have blown his yambag off so he could no further pollute society with his apparent stupidity.

hsmith

imported post

Citizen wrote:

He should be given the same charges any one of us non-"special" class should.

But, he might actually be worse off, the ass Bloomberg would like to string up some high profile person to show they are "tough" on crime - he could end up with a harsher sentence.

Doesn't mean I agree with it. The law needs to be done away with.

yankees98a

imported post

He is going to be arrested and could do 3 yrs in jail for not having a "permit"

Police are still gathering information regarding the incident that left Giants Pro Bowl wide receiver Plaxico Burress with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. However, some details are coming to light.

The latest: New York City law enforcement sources have told FOX Sports that they received word Sunday morning that Burress has agreed to turn himself in with attorneys by Monday. The sources said the police searched areas of New York and New Jersey yesterday looking to locate Burress to question him regarding the shooting at Latin Quarters nightclub early Saturday morning.
The Associated Press reported Sunday that the Giants' receiver will be charged with criminal possession of a weapon, according to Burress' agent Benjamin Brafman, who added that Burress will enter a "not guilty" plea.
Police had gone to his house, the hospital and staked out his car, which was left at the club as late as Saturday night, hoping to question Burress and check out the gun that was used in the shooting. When police went to Burress' house yesterday and attempted to locate him, his wife, through an intercom, insisted he was not home and that she was not with the star wide receiver when the incident took place.
Reports also indicate that Burress had a Florida gun permit but that the permit expired in May. New York law prohibits the possession of a concealed weapon within New York even if one is licensed in an outside state. Mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2006 led the way to stiffen gun laws in New York City making it a mandatory 3½-year sentence for being busted for illegal possession of a firearm within the city.
Sunday Burress' lawyer told the Associated Press that he has been advised the Giants' receiver will be charged with criminal possession of a weapon. According to the New York Post NYPD detectives traveled to Burress' home in Totowa, NJ Sunday evening to seize the handgun and transfer back to the 17th Precinct stationhouse on the East Side, where Burress is to turn himself in Monday.
Burress is not the only Giant who has been implicated by this unfortunate event. Team captain Antonio Pierce brought Burress to the hospital and tried to aid his injured teammate. There have been reports linking Pierce to possible obstruction of justice charges, but police sources contend that Pierce has been extremely cooperative and helpful and have even helped authorities with information to locate the gun. However, police still do not have the gun and may be waiting for Burress to turn it in.
NYPD also went to the club yesterday to view video surveillance video to make sure the story they were getting is the same story that actually unfolded.
Another angle that could arise, but at this point seems unlikely, is that while Burress could face gun charges there is also the possibility of a reckless endangerment charge, which carries a possible seven-year sentence. Luckily for Burress, sources say that at this point they likely won't pursue this route.
In addition to legal ramifications, the NFL has also acted swiftly in trying to gather information.
FOX Sports has also learned that the league office dispatched a senior security official to the Giants team hotel in Washington, D.C. last night to interview Pierce and other Giants players, plus other members of the Giants training staff and organization among others.
Even if Burress' charges are not as stiff as originally reported, the league can still discipline him independently of the law. Commissioner Roger Goodell has been very strict in dealing with off-field issues, and considering this is right in his own backyard he is forced to read about it and hear it every day.
The NFL also has a guns and weapons policy and states: "If you violate this policy on guns and other weapons, you are subject to discipline, including suspension from playing. And if you violate a public law covering weapons — for example, possession of an unlicensed firearm — you are not only to discipline, including suspension from playing, but also subject to criminal prosecution."
As for the Giants, sources say their initial reaction is to go after some of Burress' money in light of the fact that he was injured in a non-football injury incident.
Burress has had a history of disciplinary problems with the Giants, especially this year, that has seen him suspended one game, benched another and fined several other times. The league also looked into domestic disturbance questions that surrounded him in the past.
While the entire affair is unfortunate and sad, Burress got lucky that he only suffered a superficial wound. The bullet did not hit a bone nor an artery, which could have obviously turned this situation from sad to tragic.

Prophet

imported post

I was thinking the same thing. He has the money and celebrities hardly ever get convicted of anything...so why not have good ole Plexi-glass take the 2A all the way to the supreme court. I mean if DC's gun ban is unconstitutional then why not NYC's?