• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plaxico Burress Shoots him self...

tito887

imported post

I don't know all the circumstances, but why did he turn himself in. Did He give them the pistol or did they search his place?? How are they able to prove he had a gun at all. Also was he carrying? I'd like to know more. I hope he fights it all the way to scotus. I had just posted yesterday pondering how long it would take to achieve gun rights in NY. Maybe it will be shorter then we all thought?

Gordie

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Gordie wrote:
Apparently he not only escaped being arrested at the time, but was allowed to give the gun to a friend of his to take away.If it had been any average citizen they would have been arrested on the spot, and thegun would have been confiscated. If the gun had been passed off to a friend, they would have been charged with illegal possession and with interfering with a criminal investigation by removing evidence.

This is ridiculous.New York does not recognize another states CCW permit, so unless he had a NY permit he was breaking the law. Even though most of us believe that we should have the right to carry without the requirement of a permit, going to a club and getting drunk is not something very many of us would advocate while carrying.He was also apparently drunk, just like a car and alcohol don't mix, neither do guns and alcohol. If you have to go out and get drunk, be responsible and let someone else stay sober and provide security.

What a disgrace.

According to the reports that I read the police were not even notified after he went to the hospital soI can't blame the ploice on this. You are correct that the club owner/manager would have had most of us arrested but it seems that this was withheld from the police. Both have now been arrested.
Aren't gunshot wounds supposed to be reported to the police by the hospital?

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I Heard on the News this morning that he was "unloading for security at the club when it went off":shock:

Sarcasm ON! my hero... Sarcasm off.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

James

imported post

The article I read said he had the weapon in his waist band. He had a drink in his hand when the weapon fell out. He grabbed for it and it went off. Others could be charged. He was with a team-mate who hid the gun. The bar workers cleaned up the blood and the hospital, which is supposed to report gun shot wounds were asked not to and they didnt report it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...giants_receiver_plaxico_burress_accident.html

Gordie

imported post

I would agree that this could be used as a test case if it weren't for the fact that he screwed up in several ways. If the only law broken was one against the carry of a gun that would be great, but it would appear that more than this went on.

He also violated several rules of common sense dealing with the handling of firearms. This is evident in the fact that he shot himself. If you want to make a test case you need to find a better example. This is embarrassing to responsible gun owners everywhere. We don't want to hold him up as an example of who we all are. The anti's already try to portray gun owners as ignorant dolts, don't let us help them in this by making Plaxico our poster boy.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gordie wrote:
I would agree that this could be used as a test case if it weren't for the fact that he screwed up in several ways. If the only law broken was one against the carry of a gun that would be great, but it would appear that more than this went on.

He also violated several rules of common sense dealing with the handling of firearms. This is evident in the fact that he shot himself. If you want to make a test case you need to find a better example. This is embarrassing to responsible gun owners everywhere. We don't want to hold him up as an example of who we all are. The anti's already try to portray gun owners as ignorant dolts, don't let us help them in this by making Plaxico our poster boy.
+1

Xeni

imported post

Obviously a big story in NY but I can't understand why a sports editorial writer is giving HIS opinion about guns and who should be 'allowed' to have them.

The Second Amendment isn't going to be abolished any time soon. That should not prevent the NFL -- and all sports leagues -- from taking handguns away from their players. It is no more unconstitutional to say players can't own guns than it is to say they must be subjected to drug testing when there is no evidence they have used drugs, or saying they can be fined for speaking their mind about officiating.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/01/AR2008120101335.html?hpid=topnews

Lots of the comments on the website are pretty scathing already.

Gordie

imported post

I would sooner support a law that forbids sports casters/writers from talking about anything but the sport in which they participated, than take away a persons right to defend themselves.

What an idiot!:banghead:

Legba

imported post

Umm... yes, it is "more" unconstitutional to say they can't have guns, since they can't have illegal drugs. The constitution does not enumerate the right to have illegal drugs. Duh. Game, set, match, so to speak. As for drug testing, they don't have to submit to that either - they can get straight jobs any time.

-ljp

LeagueOf1291

imported post

We have at least a half-century (more, really) of precedent in which rapists, murderers, and scoundrels of every stripe reach the Supreme Court with their test cases. The ACLU and their like-minded fellows always tell us to "consider the principle" they're defending, and not the character of the appellant. So excuse me if I'm fresh out of embarrassment just because this guy was a doof who shot himself. I've been a doof at times myself. I say attack the unconstitutional statutes in NY and "consider the principle."

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
We have at least a half-century (more, really) of precedent in which rapists, murderers, and scoundrels of every stripe reach the Supreme Court with their test cases. The ACLU and their like-minded fellows always tell us to "consider the principle" they're defending, and not the character of the appellant. So excuse me if I'm fresh out of embarrassment just because this guy was a doof who shot himself. I've been a doof at times myself. I say attack the unconstitutional statutes in NY and "consider the principle."
That is an interesting perspective to which I do not have an immediate thoughtful response. I'm going to have to mull over your thoughts.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Just read the article. What an ignorant idiot!! First off, the Second Amendment cannot be repealed. At least according to Jefferson and Madison. It's cast in stone just like the other nine Amendments.

Secondly, can you imagine the affect of something like this? Suppose you are offered a position with Lockheed-Martin and one of the stipulations is that you not own any handguns. Not only would this be illegal, but it would also be a host of other things.. such as immoral , un-American, assinine.

Flintlock

imported post

Well, obviously the draconian gun laws of NYC have had little to no effect on stoppingcrime. Even millionaire, superstar football players carry guns but the problem is thateveryone knows that it is a felony to do so in NYC and his Florida permit would be laughed at there.

I believe in his right to do so, but that's not the point here... Why do these football players always need to hang out at nightclubs? Nothing good happens in the middle of the night at a club.

Don't put yourself in those types of situations and always be aware of your surroundings. An lastly, learn how to handle your weapon without shooting yourself for goodness sakes.