• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pearce Finger Groove Grips

richarcm

imported post

I found these on Ebay for about $15 and figured I'd give them a try. They fit underneath of your side panels which I prefer over the others that replace the side panels.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the look. They provide a REALLY good grip on the gun without looking too gaudy.

Definitely worth $15 in my opinion!

799381.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I'm surprised you didn't replace the ugly taurus grips to begin with :Dand is that tape on your gun?

richarcm

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't replace the ugly taurus grips to begin with :Dand is that tape on your gun?
I bought grips as well but when I got them I didn't like them because they were smooth and not checkered at all. I had to send them back for the company to checker them. They are pretty nice looking so I can't wait to get them back.

And yes that is tape covering the serial just for caution...

bcbrown2

imported post

I was running with the Hogue finger groove 1911 grips before my Kimber had to go back to NY so they could finish building a running gun. For casual range shooting I found them to be very comfortable, but during a 300-round tactical shooting class I found the extra volume up front made it feel a bit chunky after countless holster/shoot/re-holster drills.

If it winds up actually being a keeper (aka if I don't try to find someone willing to give me a good trade toward a S&W 1911PD) I'll look into a checkering job up front. I'm OK with that classic 1911 grip -- I just need something less slippery after I've run 200 rounds through the gun and the instructor's getting ready to start Phase 3 of the class or, worse yet, that stress-crazed sweaty-palmed moment I actually have to put the training to the test.

Shoot the heck out of them, I hope you enjoy using them. It's just my $.02. I'll never argue the finger grooves aren't comfy and the Pearce product seems to have a leg up on the Hogues as you get to use any grip you want. For the record, plain Jane rubber grips work awfully well -- are the stock Taurus grips plastic or rubber?

richarcm

imported post

bcbrown2 wrote:
I was running with the Hogue finger groove 1911 grips before my Kimber had to go back to NY so they could finish building a running gun. For casual range shooting I found them to be very comfortable, but during a 300-round tactical shooting class I found the extra volume up front made it feel a bit chunky after countless holster/shoot/re-holster drills.

If it winds up actually being a keeper (aka if I don't try to find someone willing to give me a good trade toward a S&W 1911PD) I'll look into a checkering job up front. I'm OK with that classic 1911 grip -- I just need something less slippery after I've run 200 rounds through the gun and the instructor's getting ready to start Phase 3 of the class or, worse yet, that stress-crazed sweaty-palmed moment I actually have to put the training to the test.

Shoot the heck out of them, I hope you enjoy using them. It's just my $.02. I'll never argue the finger grooves aren't comfy and the Pearce product seems to have a leg up on the Hogues as you get to use any grip you want. For the record, plain Jane rubber grips work awfully well -- are the stock Taurus grips plastic or rubber?
The Pearce grips weigh next to nothing. They do not significantly change the balance of the gun. If you look at the top picture you can see that they are just flimsy rubber pieces that fit under the side panels. The grip itself is just rigid and heavy enough to be firm in your hand. They are definitely the best $15 I spent on the gun.

The stock Taurus grips are plastic. You can buy the PT-1911 in all sorts of shades and variations now. Some of them look pretty darn nice. But I bought mine when you had two options....blue or stainless.