• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Cabela's story

arms_libertas

imported post

A friend of mine had a gift certificateto Cabela's from last Christmas and he decided he needed to use it, so we headed down to Lacey this morning.

We arrived at 8:30am or so and began wandering around the store. After an hour of being in the store, hanging out mostly around the firearms section,I had a handful of things that I needed to buy and my friend was trying to get them to come down on a pistol price. As I was waiting for him to complete the negotiation found an assistantmanager about 6ft away from me making a funny face in my direction. Since I hadn't been hassled and had been there for oven an hour, I figured the face was for something else. I said "Good morning" and walked past him to the next gun rack.

A couple of minutes later another manager arrived (James) and the two huddle for a second. I can hear James telling the asst manager that "he is fine, this is an open carry state". Asst. Mgr pushed back a little bit and mention the sign on the front door. James gets him straightened out on the circumstances surrounding the rules for checking a firearm at the front desk and that they didn't apply. The strange thing was that James started getting fairly vocal with his responses, I could have hear him from 30ft away. Everyone in the store who didn't notice that I was carrying definitely did then, but hey... I'm open carrying...

So, these two managers are kind of having a loud confrontation in front of about 20 shoppers and 4ft away from me. The whole time I was the topic of conversation, but neither of them directly addressed me at any point. It was a little bizarre but pretty damned cool too (afterward my friend mentioned that two shoppers made a comment to the sales staff and thatJames' loudness might have been for their benefit). I was beginning to snicker a little bit and didn't want to seem like I was gloating, so Itold my buddy I had my stuff and was ready to go, and we left. I'm going to be sending a nice letter to the store mgr complimenting James on this one.

Mainsail

imported post

It seems like there must be a fairly constant turnover of employees in the store. The last time I was there no less than four employees at the front door told me I had to check my pistol. One even mentioned that he was trained to that effect. Only after the manager was summoned and he came over did they let me enter. The manager seemed irritated at the whole event, and told them that this was an open carry state and that I was fine to enter like I was. If there really is any training, it’s pretty apparent it’s ineffectual.

amlevin

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
The last time I was there no less than four employees at the front door told me I had to check my pistol.
If there really is any training, it’s pretty apparent it’s ineffectual.

Last time I was told I had to check my weapon I did. I reached down to my holster and confirmed that it was still there. Then off and about my business in the store.

This time of year there are a lot of Temporary Help for the holiday season. Too many of them can be real "Block Heads" and no amount of training would sink in. It's too bad that companies like Cabela's don't realize how much ill will is spread by dumass employees. Can't really single out Cabela's, all companies seem to hire fools like this.

In the instance brought up by arms-libertas, if I was the Store Manager and my "subordinate" wanted to argue with me as described he would be on his way out the door. Either for the rest of the day or the rest of his career with the company.

fire suppressor

imported post

Cabela's is a bit of a drive for me, I frequent sportman's warehouse in silverdale often. I OC often and I have never had as much as a raised eye brow. It is The store's policy to alow OC. The only time they ask you to check your gun is if your trying out holsters and even then all they so is put a bright pink sticker on it, they might ask you to unload it if your trying out holster cant remeber, been a while. Its always relaxing to be able to walk into a store and not have to worry about herasment. In many cases I notice i'm not the only one in the store OCing.

jbone

imported post

Same heremade the long trip twice and OC with no problems in the store.