• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

s & w mp40

nickbeam775

imported post

Doesanyone have any input on the simth and wesson m&p 40 the gun just feels really good in my hand and i am thinking of getting one for oc use, but befor i do i want to get a little more info any input would be great thanks.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You must mean the M&P 40.

I don't think S&W make one of these:

mp40et1.jpg

:p

smash29

imported post

I have a M&P9 and I really like it. The interchangable grips work well and allow you to fit the gun to your hand and I've put 500+ rounds through mine without a hiccup. Not the greatest trigger, but that can be fixed.

buster81

imported post

smash29 wrote:
I have a M&P9 and I really like it. The interchangable grips work well and allow you to fit the gun to your hand and I've put 500+ rounds through mine without a hiccup. Not the greatest trigger, but that can be fixed.

I have an M&P9 as well. I've never had any problems with the trigger. What's up with yours?

The Hartford Whalers had the best uni in the league.

ETCS

bcbrown2

imported post

The M&P is a great pistol. I've shot them in .45 and 9mm and both are fantastic weapons. They fit both my and my wife's hands the best -- much better by far, than everything else we've held. It's solid, reliable, and shoots very, very accurately.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

the M&P pistols work if you can't go with a Glock. There have been few issues that S&W has more or less worked around.

Is there a specific reason you need a .40 cal?

nickbeam775

imported post

i just like the caliber it does all i need and more 9 is ok but after shooting a 40 or 45 9just feels like a 22 to me but again that is just what i like and may not be for everyone

smash29

imported post

nickbeam775 wrote:
what problems do you see with the trigger and what can be done about and have you done anything to yours
I don't really have a "problem" with the trigger, it's just that of the guns I own and have shot it's not my favorite.

I don't really know the specific terms to describe it but I find that it's fairly smooth for the first part of the trigger pull until it hits a noticable (to me) "stop", then it's another distinct pull to the break. In my admittedly limited experience it seems that most guns with a "safe action" type trigger (M&P, Glock, XD) behave in a similar way but when I slowly dry fire the gun I can see that the pressure involved to get from the "stop" to the break causes the gun to "move" more (based on the movement of the front sight) when compared to my Glock and XD. I really wouldn't have noticed it all that much, if at all, had I not done the comparison with those 2 guns but after doing so I did see a difference. I've considered taking it in for a trigger job in the hopes of getting a smoother, ideally more continuous trigger pull but honestly it's not objectionable enough to really justify that.

It's a minor quibble and preference more than anything so take what I say for what it's worth. Of my M&P, XD, and Glock the M&P feels the best in my hand and that is more important to me than a minor, subjective difference in trigger pull. If you like the feel of the M&P then I say go for it.

smash29

imported post

buster81 wrote
The Hartford Whalers had the best uni in the league.
It's been 11+ years but I still bleed blue and green and I'm just as bitter today as I was in April 1997 when I saw their last game in Hartford. :cry: I can only hope the Hurricanes lose every game for all eternity and Peter Karmanos spends a like amount of time rotting in H E double hockey sticks. :cuss: