Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Cop shoots himself after gun-safety lesson

  1. #1
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    MONROE, Ohio - A top cop mistakenly shot himself in the thigh after giving his daughter a lesson in gun safety, police said. Middletown police Chief Greg Schwarber, 54, was preparing to clean his Glock .45-caliber pistol on Friday and didn't realize the gun was still loaded, according to a police report.

    Written by officers from neighboring Monroe, the report said the bullet entered Schwarber's leg just above the knee.


    When officers arrived, they found the chief lying on the floor with a towel covering his leg. Schwarber was taken to a hospital for treatment.The hospital had no record of Schwarber being treated or admitted. A home phone number for him couldn't be found.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    150

    Post imported post

    didn't realize the gun was still loaded
    I can never understand this. Why does anyone have to "realize" the gun was loaded before pointing it at your leg and pulling the trigger? I know the infamous "Glock leg" happens all too often, but come on observe basic firearm safety....muzzle direction, hello? These idiots just provide fuel for the anti's, "guns are dangerous".

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER, TARGET

    All guns are LOADED until they aren't.

    Cover with the MUZZLE only that which you would destroy.

    Keep your finger off the TRIGGER. Keep YOUR finger off THAT TRIGGER.

    Know and love your TARGET and what's beyond.

    Now it appears that a corollary must be added; don't pickup a gun that's smarter than its operator.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    716

    Post imported post

    In light of this situation we must all remember what the anti's say, "The average person is not qualified to handle firearms, this should be left to the professionals."

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    I found this on msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27963920/) ... all I can say is "ouch" ...


    updated 6:17 a.m. ET, Sat., Nov. 29, 2008

    MONROE, Ohio - A top cop mistakenly shot himself in the thigh after giving his daughter a lesson in gun safety, police said.

    Middletown police Chief Greg Schwarber, 54, was preparing to clean his Glock .45-caliber pistol on Friday and didn't realize the gun was still loaded, according to a police report.

    Written by officers from neighboring Monroe, the report said the bullet entered Schwarber's leg just above the knee.

    When officers arrived, they found the chief lying on the floor with a towel covering his leg. Schwarber was taken to a hospital for treatment.

    The hospital had no record of Schwarber being treated or admitted. A home phone number for him couldn't be found.

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Why is it so many AD stories seem to involve cops and Glocks?

  7. #7
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Why is it so many AD stories seem to involve cops and Glocks?
    Not sure if you're familiar with glocks, but you need to pull the trigger in order to remove the slide and barrel.

    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  8. #8
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Why is it so many AD stories seem to involve cops and Glocks?
    Not sure if you're familiar with glocks, but you need to pull the trigger in order to remove the slide and barrel.
    The reallytricky part is checking to make damn sure it's been cleared first.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    The XDs (excluding the XD(M)) also require that the trigger be pulled for take down, but you don't hear about this happening all the time with them. Granted there are certainly many more Glocks out there than XDs, but the XDs have become quite popular over the last few years and I have yet to hear or read about it happening with an XD (although I have no doubt that it has). Perhaps it is because so many LEOs have Glocks and the media is more likely to report an LEO ND than a non-LEO citizen ND.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  10. #10
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    I DO think that the requirement to pull the trigger to take it apart is idiotic for this very reason, but this guy needs to come out and tell everyone how it was his fault, and how what he did was stupid. The last thing he should allow to come of this is anti gunner nonsense. He failed to abide by the 4 rules, and it cost him.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    I don't think the design of the Glock is a problem at all.

    If anyone is so stupid or careless that they can't make sure the gun is unloaded before trying to take it down, they should not handle ANY guns. . . . period.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    I know I have not been around firearms as long as most of the members of this forum but anytime I carry my pistol anywhere the first thing I do is keep that finger off the trigger and checking the status of the chamber. I don't understand how these things happen with the "professionals."

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    I know I have not been around firearms as long as most of the members of this forum but anytime I carry my pistol anywhere the first thing I do is keep that finger off the trigger and checking the status of the chamber. I don't understand how these things happen with the "professionals."

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    96

    Post imported post

    Glocks are the most simple handguns to use. Period.

    Want it to fire? Pull the trigger.

    Want to clean it? Point in safe direction with finger off trigger, eject magazine, rack slide to eject the +1 round (if there is one), re-rack slide, inspect chamber, pull trigger and disassemble.

    Carelessness can kill.



  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    Carolina40 wrote:
    Glocks are the most simple handguns to use. Period.

    Want it to fire? Pull the trigger.

    Want to clean it? Point in safe direction with finger off trigger, eject magazine, rack slide to eject the +1 round (if there is one), re-rack slide, inspect chamber, pull trigger and disassemble.

    Carelessness can kill.

    ^this.

    Guns don't "went off."

  16. #16
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    deepdiver wrote:
    The XDs (excluding the XD(M)) also require that the trigger be pulled for take down, but you don't hear about this happening all the time with them. Granted there are certainly many more Glocks out there than XDs, but the XDs have become quite popular over the last few years and I have yet to hear or read about it happening with an XD (although I have no doubt that it has). Perhaps it is because so many LEOs have Glocks and the media is more likely to report an LEO ND than a non-LEO citizen ND.
    The XD does have the easy to see, loaded chamber indicator which could help prevent these ND's. BTW, I know someone that shot his leg with an XD in this same situation.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  17. #17
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647

    Post imported post

    Gordie wrote:
    In light of this situation we must all remember what the anti's say, "The average person is not qualified to handle firearms, this should be left to the professionals."

    With all of these NDs happening to "professionals" it appears that the so-called "pros" need to take lessons from us "average, non-qualified" citizens.

    BTW Chief Schwarber, that was a memorable "safety" lesson! :what:

    III

    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  18. #18
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    Huck wrote:
    Gordie wrote:
    In light of this situation we must all remember what the anti's say, "The average person is not qualified to handle firearms, this should be left to the professionals."

    With all of these NDs happening to "professionals" it appears that the so-called "pros" need to take lessons from us "average, non-qualified" citizens.

    BTW Chief Schwarber, that was a memorable "safety" lesson! :what:

    III
    +1+1+1
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    VAopencarry wrote:
    deepdiver wrote:
    The XDs (excluding the XD(M)) also require that the trigger be pulled for take down, but you don't hear about this happening all the time with them. Granted there are certainly many more Glocks out there than XDs, but the XDs have become quite popular over the last few years and I have yet to hear or read about it happening with an XD (although I have no doubt that it has). Perhaps it is because so many LEOs have Glocks and the media is more likely to report an LEO ND than a non-LEO citizen ND.
    The XD does have the easy to see, loaded chamber indicator which could help prevent these ND's. BTW, I know someone that shot his leg with an XD in this same situation.
    And there ya go. I was sure that it had happened at some point.

    As to the loaded chamber indicator, the new Glocks have those and some have said that even older generations do also. I don't see what the big deal is to make sure your weapon is clear regardless. I choose to never rely on my loaded chamber indicator excepting at the range. I always verify loaded/unloaded by looking.

    When I unload the XD or my friends' Glocks, it is very simple to verify:

    1) Point in a safe direction
    2) Eject the mag
    3) Rack the slide back and lock it back with the slide stop ejecting any round in the chamber
    4) LOOK down through the grip and make sure you see the ground/floor.
    5) LOOK at the chamber and make sure you see nothing in the chamber (I was taught long ago and now do out of habit, after looking at the chamber, sweep it with the tip of my pinky finger to make sure that I also don't feel anything in the chamber)
    6) LOOK again down through the grip and at the chamber.
    7) Release, slide and while still pointing in a safe direction pull trigger and remove slide.

    If at any point in the process you are interrupted or set down the pistol, start back at step #1. And yes, I do this with all semi-auto pistols, making appropriate modifications as required for that particular sidearm such as no slide lock or no requirement to pull trigger to disassemble.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    166

    Post imported post

    Any profession can make a mistake. What about that sports figure the other day??

    Many of us citizens have made this same error but it seems to be more appalling when done by a police officer. Police officers are people. Theyare not perfect. No matter what job you do we are all human and subject to mistakes.

    I can bet he received proper training on firearms and for his age he should have known better. My guess is that hebecame complacent.

    Some people do not treat "unloaded" guns with the same care they would if loaded.

    I do not care if you know the gun is unloaded when you handle it. You BETTER NOT point it in my direction or I am going to kick your ass. It is a bad habit to get into.

    ALWAYS point in a safe direction. Loaded or not!!

    As we can see, there is always a chance that what you believed was an unloaded firearm is in fact LOADED!

    EDIT: Typo

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Devils Advocate wrote:
    Any profession can make a mistake.
    It is the response to the 'mistake' by the profession that defines it so, no? No effective response, like from LEO or, archly, 'sporting', obviates professionalism.

    To be sure, I made mistakes in my professional career but it took hours of investigation by many people to figure what it might have been and how to prevent re-occurrence. I tested nuclear power plants.

  22. #22
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Devils Advocate wrote:
    Any profession can make a mistake.
    It is the response to the 'mistake' by the profession that defines it so, no? No effective response, like from LEO or, archly, 'sporting', obviates professionalism.

    To be sure, I made mistakes in my professional career but it took hours of investigation by many people to figure what it might have been and how to prevent re-occurrence. I tested nuclear power plants.
    Did a couple of them melt down while testing?
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    I don't know. What do you think? Let's hear your qualified opinion.

  24. #24
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    I don't know. What do you think? Let's hear your qualified opinion.
    Haven't heard anything on the news, so I guess not. But then the liberal broadcastmedia has been so busy kissing Obama's butt the last couple of years, maybe they missed it.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  25. #25
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    deepdiver wrote:
    The XDs (excluding the XD(M)) also require that the trigger be pulled for take down, but you don't hear about this happening all the time with them.
    People own XDs?


    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •