• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop shoots himself after gun-safety lesson

TechnoWeenie

imported post

MONROE, Ohio - A top cop mistakenly shot himself in the thigh after giving his daughter a lesson in gun safety, police said. Middletown police Chief Greg Schwarber, 54, was preparing to clean his Glock .45-caliber pistol on Friday and didn't realize the gun was still loaded, according to a police report.

Written by officers from neighboring Monroe, the report said the bullet entered Schwarber's leg just above the knee.

When officers arrived, they found the chief lying on the floor with a towel covering his leg. Schwarber was taken to a hospital for treatment.The hospital had no record of Schwarber being treated or admitted. A home phone number for him couldn't be found.

Dom

imported post

didn't realize the gun was still loaded
I can never understand this. Why does anyone have to "realize" the gun was loaded before pointing it at your leg and pulling the trigger? I know the infamous "Glock leg" happens all too often, but come on observe basic firearm safety....muzzle direction, hello? These idiots just provide fuel for the anti's, "guns are dangerous".

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER, TARGET

All guns are LOADED until they aren't.

Cover with the MUZZLE only that which you would destroy.

Keep your finger off the TRIGGER. Keep YOUR finger off THAT TRIGGER.

Know and love your TARGET and what's beyond.

Now it appears that a corollary must be added; don't pickup a gun that's smarter than its operator.

Gordie

imported post

In light of this situation we must all remember what the anti's say, "The average person is not qualified to handle firearms, this should be left to the professionals.":banghead:

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

I found this on msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27963920/) ... all I can say is "ouch" ...

APTRANS.gif

updated 6:17 a.m. ET, Sat., Nov. 29, 2008

MONROE, Ohio - A top cop mistakenly shot himself in the thigh after giving his daughter a lesson in gun safety, police said.

Middletown police Chief Greg Schwarber, 54, was preparing to clean his Glock .45-caliber pistol on Friday and didn't realize the gun was still loaded, according to a police report.

Written by officers from neighboring Monroe, the report said the bullet entered Schwarber's leg just above the knee.

When officers arrived, they found the chief lying on the floor with a towel covering his leg. Schwarber was taken to a hospital for treatment.

The hospital had no record of Schwarber being treated or admitted. A home phone number for him couldn't be found.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Why is it so many AD stories seem to involve cops and Glocks?
Not sure if you're familiar with glocks, but you need to pull the trigger in order to remove the slide and barrel.

rodbender

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Why is it so many AD stories seem to involve cops and Glocks?
Not sure if you're familiar with glocks, but you need to pull the trigger in order to remove the slide and barrel.
The reallytricky part is checking to make damn sure it's been cleared first.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The XDs (excluding the XD(M)) also require that the trigger be pulled for take down, but you don't hear about this happening all the time with them. Granted there are certainly many more Glocks out there than XDs, but the XDs have become quite popular over the last few years and I have yet to hear or read about it happening with an XD (although I have no doubt that it has). Perhaps it is because so many LEOs have Glocks and the media is more likely to report an LEO ND than a non-LEO citizen ND.

Michigander

imported post

I DO think that the requirement to pull the trigger to take it apart is idiotic for this very reason, but this guy needs to come out and tell everyone how it was his fault, and how what he did was stupid. The last thing he should allow to come of this is anti gunner nonsense. He failed to abide by the 4 rules, and it cost him.

PaulG

imported post

I don't think the design of the Glock is a problem at all.

If anyone is so stupid or careless that they can't make sure the gun is unloaded before trying to take it down, they should not handle ANY guns. . . . period.

tito887

imported post

I know I have not been around firearms as long as most of the members of this forum but anytime I carry my pistol anywhere the first thing I do is keep that finger off the trigger and checking the status of the chamber. I don't understand how these things happen with the "professionals."

tito887

imported post

I know I have not been around firearms as long as most of the members of this forum but anytime I carry my pistol anywhere the first thing I do is keep that finger off the trigger and checking the status of the chamber. I don't understand how these things happen with the "professionals."

Carolina40

imported post

Glocks are the most simple handguns to use. Period.

Want it to fire? Pull the trigger.

Want to clean it? Point in safe direction with finger off trigger, eject magazine, rack slide to eject the +1 round (if there is one), re-rack slide, inspect chamber, pull trigger and disassemble.

Carelessness can kill.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
Glocks are the most simple handguns to use. Period.

Want it to fire? Pull the trigger.

Want to clean it? Point in safe direction with finger off trigger, eject magazine, rack slide to eject the +1 round (if there is one), re-rack slide, inspect chamber, pull trigger and disassemble.

Carelessness can kill.

^this.

Guns don't "went off."

VAopencarry

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The XDs (excluding the XD(M)) also require that the trigger be pulled for take down, but you don't hear about this happening all the time with them. Granted there are certainly many more Glocks out there than XDs, but the XDs have become quite popular over the last few years and I have yet to hear or read about it happening with an XD (although I have no doubt that it has). Perhaps it is because so many LEOs have Glocks and the media is more likely to report an LEO ND than a non-LEO citizen ND.
The XD does have the easy to see, loaded chamber indicator which could help prevent these ND's. BTW, I know someone that shot his leg with an XD in this same situation.

Huck

imported post

Gordie wrote:
In light of this situation we must all remember what the anti's say, "The average person is not qualified to handle firearms, this should be left to the professionals.":banghead:

With all of these NDs happening to "professionals" it appears that the so-called "pros" need to take lessons from us "average, non-qualified" citizens.

BTW Chief Schwarber, that was a memorable "safety" lesson! :what:

III

rodbender

imported post

Huck wrote:
Gordie wrote:

With all of these NDs happening to "professionals" it appears that the so-called "pros" need to take lessons from us "average, non-qualified" citizens.

BTW Chief Schwarber, that was a memorable "safety" lesson! :what:

III
+1+1+1

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
The XD does have the easy to see, loaded chamber indicator which could help prevent these ND's. BTW, I know someone that shot his leg with an XD in this same situation.
And there ya go. I was sure that it had happened at some point.

As to the loaded chamber indicator, the new Glocks have those and some have said that even older generations do also. I don't see what the big deal is to make sure your weapon is clear regardless. I choose to never rely on my loaded chamber indicator excepting at the range. I always verify loaded/unloaded by looking.

When I unload the XD or my friends' Glocks, it is very simple to verify:

1) Point in a safe direction
2) Eject the mag
3) Rack the slide back and lock it back with the slide stop ejecting any round in the chamber
4) LOOK down through the grip and make sure you see the ground/floor.
5) LOOK at the chamber and make sure you see nothing in the chamber (I was taught long ago and now do out of habit, after looking at the chamber, sweep it with the tip of my pinky finger to make sure that I also don't feel anything in the chamber)
6) LOOK again down through the grip and at the chamber.
7) Release, slide and while still pointing in a safe direction pull trigger and remove slide.

If at any point in the process you are interrupted or set down the pistol, start back at step #1. And yes, I do this with all semi-auto pistols, making appropriate modifications as required for that particular sidearm such as no slide lock or no requirement to pull trigger to disassemble.

Devils Advocate

imported post

Any profession can make a mistake. What about that sports figure the other day??

Many of us citizens have made this same error but it seems to be more appalling when done by a police officer. Police officers are people. Theyare not perfect. No matter what job you do we are all human and subject to mistakes.

I can bet he received proper training on firearms and for his age he should have known better. My guess is that hebecame complacent.

Some people do not treat "unloaded" guns with the same care they would if loaded.

I do not care if you know the gun is unloaded when you handle it. You BETTER NOT point it in my direction or I am going to kick your ass. It is a bad habit to get into.

ALWAYS point in a safe direction. Loaded or not!!

As we can see, there is always a chance that what you believed was an unloaded firearm is in fact LOADED!

EDIT: Typo