• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop shoots himself after gun-safety lesson

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
Any profession can make a mistake.
It is the response to the 'mistake' by the profession that defines it so, no? No effective response, like from LEO or, archly, 'sporting', obviates professionalism.

To be sure, I made mistakes in my professional career but it took hours of investigation by many people to figure what it might have been and how to prevent re-occurrence. I tested nuclear power plants.

rodbender

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
Any profession can make a mistake.
It is the response to the 'mistake' by the profession that defines it so, no? No effective response, like from LEO or, archly, 'sporting', obviates professionalism.

To be sure, I made mistakes in my professional career but it took hours of investigation by many people to figure what it might have been and how to prevent re-occurrence. I tested nuclear power plants.
Did a couple of them melt down while testing?:lol:

rodbender

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I don't know. What do you think? Let's hear your qualified opinion.
Haven't heard anything on the news, so I guess not. But then the liberal broadcastmedia has been so busy kissing Obama's butt the last couple of years, maybe they missed it.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The XDs (excluding the XD(M)) also require that the trigger be pulled for take down, but you don't hear about this happening all the time with them.
People own XDs?

:lol:

Gordie

imported post

Hey, that's a great idea! They could invite that DEA agent that shot himself in a classroom of 4th graders to be on the board of directors.:celebrate

dodge310

imported post

This reminds me of the Cop that was giving a Gun safety lesson in a Grade school class room. He was teaching all the safety tips and telling them to always treat the gun like its loaded.

The he shot hisself in the foot when he holstered the gun.

I watched this a couple years back on Youtube, then watched it again in my Conceal Carry Class.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
XDs just wish that they were born Glocks....
Glocks dream at night of evolving into XDs. :celebrate

As proof of how unhappy Glocks are with their evolutionary state, note how often in despair their shoot their owners. :p

squarepeg

imported post

BGordon42 wrote:
The hospital had no record of Schwarber being treated or admitted.
I bet if this was you or me there would be a record at the hospital. And I hope his daughter didn't listen to his advice. Maybe she should start with a fresh set of instructions.

Devils Advocate

imported post

Jizzle wrote:
ya and the parents of that kid that let a 8? 9? year old shoot an uzi.. Great idea..
That was sad.

Firearm accidents are far greater than we know. The news only reports those that are interesting.

Examples...

• Machine gun and child
  • Police Chief at home
  • Sports Figure in night club
Joe the plumber doing it is not reported. All those accidental discharges at the range are not reported.

It happens and it makes no difference who you are or what you do.

Gordie

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
Jizzle wrote:
ya and the parents of that kid that let a 8? 9? year old shoot an uzi.. Great idea..
That was sad.

Firearm accidents are far greater than we know. The news only reports those that are interesting.

Examples...

• Machine gun and child
  • Police Chief at home
  • Sports Figure in night club
Joe the plumber doing it is not reported. All those accidental discharges at the range are not reported.

It happens and it makes no difference who you are or what you do.

Actually firearms accidents resulting in injury are very rare when you consider the number of firearms in the U.S. Only those resulting in injury or property damage are newsworthy, so these are the only ones reported. A negligent discharge at the range that goes down range is embarrassing but not necessarily dangerous if you follow safety precautions, i.e. keep gun pointed down rangeuntil verified clear. In every case that has made the news the victim was injured due to the fact that someone ignored the rules on safety.

thorvaldr

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
Many of us citizens have made this same error but it seems to be more appalling when done by a police officer. Police officers are people. Theyare not perfect. No matter what job you do we are all human and subject to mistakes.
Oh, hell no.

Cops can carry open places we can't, carry concealed (off duty) places we can't. Practically every gun law on the books has an "except cops" clause and every time one of them pulls a bone-head stunt like this somebody says 'they're only human". That just doesn't fly. If they are "only human" they CAN'T have more rights than me.

Orygunner

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
Many of us citizens have made this same error but it seems to be more appalling when done by a police officer. Police officers are people. Theyare not perfect. No matter what job you do we are all human and subject to mistakes.
Oh, hell no.

Cops can carry open places we can't, carry concealed (off duty) places we can't. Practically every gun law on the books has an "except cops" clause and every time one of them pulls a bone-head stunt like this somebody says 'they're only human". That just doesn't fly. If they are "only human" they CAN'T have more rights than me.

+2!

David Codrea, (See his Blog here: http://waronguns.blogspot.com/)constantly references news articleswhere the people that some claim should be the "only ones" with firearms screw up time and time again, either through criminal actions or negligence.

NO police officershould have any more or any less rights or privileges than any law-abiding citizen, IMHO, and powers given by the Gov't should be kept to an absolute minimum. I understand they have a difficult job to do, and I highly respect the ones that know their proper place as public servants. However,I believe there's too much reliance on them to enforce the law and too little emphasis on private citizens doing so.

Ever wonder what we did BEFORE police departments started in the 1830's? WE CITIZENS were expected to enforce the law ourselves. The law enforcement powersof citizens have been steadily diminished and powers of the police have been steadily increased since then. It's now to the point where the knee-jerk reaction of 99% of the population is to stay back and call the police, no matter what's going on. Look at the guy in California who stomped the toddler to death in front of several people, and the bus in Canada where the psycho decapitated the young man, and the six punks that almost beat to death a father trying to protect his daughter at a carnival... NOBODY DID ANYTHING TO INTERVENE in any of these cases.

...Because people have been brainwashed to think it's the responsibility of only the police to stop a crime...
...Orygunner...

Jizzzle

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
thorvaldr wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
Oh, hell no.

+2!

David Codrea, (See his Blog here: http://waronguns.blogspot.com/)constantly references news articleswhere the people that some claim should be the "only ones" with firearms screw up time and time again, either through criminal actions or negligence.

NO police officershould have any more or any less rights or privileges than any law-abiding citizen, IMHO, and powers given by the Gov't should be kept to an absolute minimum. I understand they have a difficult job to do, and I highly respect the ones that know their proper place as public servants. However,I believe there's too much reliance on them to enforce the law and too little emphasis on private citizens doing so.

Ever wonder what we did BEFORE police departments started in the 1830's? WE CITIZENS were expected to enforce the law ourselves. The law enforcement powersof citizens have been steadily diminished and powers of the police have been steadily increased since then. It's now to the point where the knee-jerk reaction of 99% of the population is to stay back and call the police, no matter what's going on. Look at the guy in California who stomped the toddler to death in front of several people, and the bus in Canada where the psycho decapitated the young man, and the six punks that almost beat to death a father trying to protect his daughter at a carnival... NOBODY DID ANYTHING TO INTERVENE in any of these cases.

...Because people have been brainwashed to think it's the responsibility of only the police to stop a crime...
...Orygunner...
+2 for you too there orygunner. Complacency kills. And we as a countryare complacent as it gets.

Springfield45

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
Oh, hell no.

+1,000 Exponentially

~~Springfield