• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UPI: "Gun-rights activists focusing on Texas"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/11/30/Gun-rights_activists_focusing_on_Texas/UPI-21001228071963
Top News

Gun-rights activists focusing on Texas

Published: Nov. 30, 2008 at 2:06 PM

AUSTIN, Texas, Nov. 30 (UPI) -- Gun-rights activists say they hope to earn a major victory in their fight to carry firearms proudly by helping pass an open-carry firearm law in Texas.

Opencarry.org co-founder Mike Stollenwerk said supporters of the proposed state law have begun targeting both state residents and lawmakers in attempt to get the state Legislature to pass the bill in January, the Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram said Sunday.

"We are targeting Texas," Stollenwerk said. "Texas is probably the most pro-gun state, but doesn't have open-carry laws."

An online petition in support of the proposed law has already garnered more than 28,000 names.

Texas resident and gun-rights supporter Ralph Carroll told the Star-Telegram the proposal to allow carrying a firearm out in the open is simply part of his right to defend himself.

"I just simply want to ensure I have self-protection if the need arises," Carroll said. "The same reason I wear my seat belt, carry a spare tire and have a working fire extinguisher."

Carroll also disputed arguments by opponents of such pro-firearm legislation that an increased presence of firearms would lead to increased firearm violence in society.

tashkerra

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just put a C-note in the till. As always, you and OpenCarry.org have my full support.

By the way, I've been getting a lot of positive feedback from my OpenCarry.org bumper stickers! (I imagine Lori has a lot to do with it as well! lol!) :D