• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

At Best Buy today, my first OC "Encounter"

Ninelivez

imported post

I was looking at GPS units while OCing (I have a CCW but OC a lot also.) when some 300lb+ cow says to me "I hope your not planning on shooting everybody here.":X. I looked over and before my brain could stop my mouth let slip with "I hope your not planning on eating everybody here if you can't get to a snack quick enough, Moby Dick.":D. She gave me as dirty a look as I was giving her before she blew my mind and said "I'm sorry, I guess I deserved that". We ended up talking for a few minutes and explained CCW and OC and our 2A rights. She said she learned a few things and though she is from a non-gun house she thinks people should be allowed to own them and that she just made a BAD joke.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

+1
I would have made the comment my bullets won't go through that much padding
so 2/3 of the store is safe, except for the masked man over there.:shock:

Ninelivez

imported post

After some thought about it, I mad an idiotic move:banghead:. The comment really pissed me off, and even though we talked about OC and 2A rights, it could have gone worse. I WILL be more diplomatic in the future so as not to risk creating another anti.

gravedigger

imported post

Ninelivez wrote:
I was looking at GPS units while OCing (I have a CCW but OC a lot also.) when some 300lb+ cow says to me "I hope your not planning on shooting everybody here.":X.
I'd have said, "Oh no, ma'am. If I were planning to shoot everybody here, I'd have brought a whole lot more ammunition."

scorpioajr

imported post

gravedigger wrote:
Ninelivez wrote:
I was looking at GPS units while OCing (I have a CCW but OC a lot also.) when some 300lb+ cow says to me "I hope your not planning on shooting everybody here.":X.
I'd have said, "Oh no, ma'am. If I were planning to shoot everybody here, I'd have brought a whole lot more ammunition."
ROFL - :celebrate

HighNoon

imported post

I saw a guy open carrying in Albertsons a while ago and almost went up to him and thanked him. Next time I will.

It might have helped if he was paying attention enough to see me looking though...
icon_rolleyes.gif
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg

MT GUNNY

imported post

Darn thats Funny, I'm surprised it ended that way. I don't think I could have said that, I generally cant come up with Witty remarks. You did apologize after she did right?

hammer6

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
+1
I would have made the comment my bullets won't go through that much padding
so 2/3 of the store is safe, except for the masked man over there.:shock:

or eaten :celebrate

FogRider

imported post

gravedigger wrote:
Ninelivez wrote:
I'd have said, "Oh no, ma'am. If I were planning to shoot everybody here, I'd have brought a rifle whole lot more ammunition."
FIFY

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I'll be the odd man out here and say that I am not enamored at all by the thought of someone, while OC'ing, insulting someone in public for any reason and regardless of the outcome.

Seriously, not to beat you over the head with it, but, well, OK I am beating you over the head with it. I see this as poor judgment and temper. Two things not conducive of "good" OC. :X

I hope you see the error in your reaction and how it can cause more harm than good, for all of us.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

Ninelivez wrote:
I was looking at GPS units while OCing (I have a CCW but OC a lot also.) when some 300lb+ cow says to me "I hope your not planning on shooting everybody here.":X. [snip]
Several more possible responses:

"Wow. That was rude. Have I said or done anything to give you the impression that I planned on shooting everyone here?"

"Why would you even THINK that?!"

"Wow, that was rude. Are you being deliberately rude, or are you just an accidental a$$hole?"

"Planning? Heck, no. I'm more of the spontaneous type, myself."

"Oh, like I would tell YOU!"

Ninelivez

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
I'll be the odd man out here and say that I am not enamored at all by the thought of someone, while OC'ing, insulting someone in public for any reason and regardless of the outcome. 

Seriously, not to beat you over the head with it, but, well, OK I am beating you over the head with it.  I see this as poor judgment and temper.  Two things not conducive of "good" OC. :X

I hope you see the error in your reaction and how it can cause more harm than good, for all of us. 

Miss my second post, did ya?:?

Ninelivez

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Ninelivez wrote:
Miss my second post, did ya?:?

Actually, no.  I didn't.
But my comment was also made before your edit... But good on ya' anyhow. :?

Lets see, my post was made Nov. 30th, the second post and edit were on Dec 2nd and you responded Dec. 21st. I suck at math but how is your responce BEFORE my edit????:shock:

no carry permit ?

imported post

That was really arrogant and ignorant. She could have walked up to management and said I'm out of here & not coming back if people like that guy are allowed to carry guns in here. Result: we might end up with a national chain posting NO GUN SIGNS.

Another possible result could have been a unneeded 911 call and you getting a uneducated cop to deal with.

When open carrying we must be cool, calm and polite regardless of the comments made to us. My standard response to comments like that is, " believe me I'm the last guy you need to worry about, have a nice day."

Smart ass comments to the public is a lousy reflection on open carry. Some people are already scared of us, lets not piss them off on purpose. There is nothing to gain in doing so.

Ninelivez

imported post

no carry permit ? wrote:
That was really arrogant and ignorant. She could have walked up to management and said I'm out of here & not coming back if people like that guy are allowed to carry guns in here.  Result: we might end up with a national chain posting NO GUN SIGNS.

Another possible result could have been a unneeded 911 call and you getting a uneducated cop to deal with.

When open carrying we must be cool, calm and polite regardless of the comments made to us. My standard response to comments like that is, " believe me I'm the last guy you need to worry about, have a nice day."

Smart ass comments to the public is a lousy reflection on open carry. Some people are already scared of us, lets not piss them off on purpose. There is nothing to gain in doing so.

As I said to PA. Patriot, "Miss my second post, did ya?". I know messed up but thanks for another lecture.

ChinChin

imported post

I too suffer from the "mouth before brain" syndrome, so I can't rail on you for something Ialso am guilty of.

You realize you did bad, so no need to lecture you (as others seem want to do. . .s'up with that anyway???? Glass houses and stones, seriously!)

The way I managed to get Mr. Mouth to hush and listen to Mr. Brain first wasto pre-practice some witty banter for the next time it happens.

Rather than my canned response of "Mind your F*&%'n business" I'm now ready to bust out with:

"No [sir/ma'am],I purchased the reactive model, the proactive firearms are simply too expensive for me."

or

"I used to carry my own privatepolice officer, but isn't outsourcing so much better?"

or my prized response for those truly offensive & rude people:

"I respect that you take offense by me exercising my rights, and I promise that should an armed gunman start shooting people like at VA tech; I'll continue to respect your opinion and only defend my own life. Enjoy your shopping."

shad0wfax

imported post

Ninelivez wrote:
I was looking at GPS units while OCing (I have a CCW but OC a lot also.) when some 300lb+ cow says to me "I hope your not planning on shooting everybody here.":X. I looked over and before my brain could stop my mouth let slip with "I hope your not planning on eating everybody here if you can't get to a snack quick enough, Moby Dick.":D. She gave me as dirty a look as I was giving her before she blew my mind and said "I'm sorry, I guess I deserved that". We ended up talking for a few minutes and explained CCW and OC and our 2A rights. She said she learned a few things and though she is from a non-gun house she thinks people should be allowed to own them and that she just made a BAD joke.
I'm glad your retort wasn't received poorly. It sounds like the encounter ended up going very well, but it sure could have gone south quickly.