• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield 1911 or Beretta 92?

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

I'm planning my next purchase.

I've been madly in love with the 1911 since the first time I shot one as a kid.

The 92 is also one of my favorites, the ammo is cheaper, and I'd be able to carry twice as much ammo in the mag.

Hrmmm, which would YOU pick between these two and why?:)

partemisio

imported post

I would pick the 1911.

1. I already have a 9mm that holds 17 in the magazine if I feel I need to carry that much.
2. I plan on buying a 1911 next anyway.
3. More knock down power and not as likely to go straight through.

BRobb19

imported post

partemisio wrote:
I would pick the 1911.

1. I already have a 9mm that holds 17 in the magazine if I feel I need to carry that much.
Glock?

also which brand 1911 are you leaning towards..?

Dragon88

imported post

So you want a gun that's fun to shoot, shoots 9mm, and holds a lot of ammo? Go for a Springfield XD(M)-9. 19+1 rounds, and my XD has never malfunctioned, ever.

Between those two, however, the 1911. Why (potentially) have to fire multiple 9mm rounds into a guy when you can drop him cold with a single 45 hallow point?

UtahRSO

imported post

Lots of people must love the Beretta 92, but it's not on my favorites list. The Beretta has a fat grip and too much reach to the trigger to interest me.

The Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded is by far my favorite gun. (But I'd jump at the chance to get another 1911 of any good make, if I had the money.)

If I were going to buy another 9mm, it would probably be an XD(M) or a CZ75B.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I'd go for the 1911 as well. You'll regret it if you don't.

I personally do not like the 92 at all. I shot it in the military, and it's just kinda blah. Not to mention take down is a little TOO easy, and like someone else said, the grip is round and fat. I also don't like the 9mm round as much as others out there. I don't necessarily prefer the .45 either, though. There's nothing stopping you from getting a 1911 in a different caliber. I maypick-up a 1911 in .40 calone day, since that is my preferred round.

Besides, the 1911 looks so much better than the Beretta :D(and they're both better looking than blocks...er, glocks).

partemisio

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
partemisio wrote:
I would pick the 1911.

Glock?

also which brand 1911 are you leaning towards..?
Smith & Wesson M&P9.

I'm probably going to get one of the lower priced Kimbers. One of the ones in the $700-$900 range. If I need to get one that is less than that I will get a Springfield Armory one.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Hrmmm, which would YOU pick between these two and why?:)

ghoststan wrote:

It's that silly, glock-or-nothing attitude that just makes me hate glocks even more. :? Way to not answer his question!

Anyway, I forgot to mention another reason to choose the 1911 over the M9..er, Beretta 92: the sweet, crisp, single-action trigger of the 1911 vs. the double-action/single-action, heavy first pull and not-so-crisp following shots of the 92. Granted, I have nothing against a DA/SA handgun (my primary carry, an SW99, is just that). I just think you'll be much more satisfied with the way the 1911 shoots.

kdcyyz

imported post

I would pick the 1911.

I have a Kimber Tactical Custom 1911, and I love it. It's flat, and conceals well. It's alsobig, and shows well when I open carry. It's light (for a .45) because it's got an aluminum alloy frame which makes carrying it easier.

I never liked the Beretta's grip. It feels like I'm holding a bat by the wrong end.

Keep in mind that there are 1911s out there in 9mm as well.

Or... Buy them both!

BRobb19

imported post

I don't really think that there is any way I would be satisfied with myself unless I do get the 1911. I've been wanting one since I was a kid, so I might as well grow a pair and get it.

Those .45 ACP rounds are so damn expensive though..
:?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

w62cm.jpg

Springfield!!! The Punisher and Tink (the EMP under the Walther) are both SA 1911's.

Mungo

imported post

I absolutely love my Colt Commander 1911. It is by far the best side arm I've ever owned.

However, during stressful situations, you have a 95% chance of missing your target. I've never faced a stressful situation, but if stress has that type of reaction on the body, I'd prefer to have a few extra rounds just in case.

I use to carry my 8+1 1911 religiously, but after I learned this in my CCW class, I swapped over to a double stacked 9mm for more rounds.

Obviously, a 9mm has less knock down than a .45, but if you take two shots, one to head and one to torso, you're going to stop most anything. And you have the back up rounds if you miss.

partemisio

imported post

Mungo wrote:
However, during stressful situations, you have a 95% chance of missing your target. I've never faced a stressful situation, but if stress has that type of reaction on the body, I'd prefer to have a few extra rounds just in case.
It all depends on how you react. If you can stay calm, you can be just as accurate as at the range.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Honestly, that made me laugh.

If you're planning on missing 95% of the time, you better also plan on firing at least 20 shots at the guy, and having at least 19 of them cause collateral damage - gangsta style. :p

Mungo

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Honestly, that made me laugh.

If you're planning on missing 95% of the time, you better also plan on firing at least 20 shots at the guy, and having at least 19 of them cause collateral damage - gangsta style. :p

Would seem prudent to understand the psychology of stress when dealing with tactical defenses. Further prudent to not be firing in a panic.

I'll never claim to be a great marksman. In fact, I'll always claim to be worse than I actually am. That's what keeps me going to the range frequently to practice.

Although - you'll have to admit, there is a huge difference in going to the range and shooting at a silhouette than shooting at a live target which is moving and shooting back at you.

If I could guarantee a 100% accurate shot, then yes, I'd carry my .45 and shoot once.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

...we should also remember that 55% of all statistics are made-up on the spot. :?