Thread: Police shoots self after giving gun safety training

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I know this happened in OHIO.. but I am asking my fellow Virginia Gun owners to take park in my little quiz. How many and which gun safety rules were violated? Ed
    - - - -

Ohio Police Chief Accidentally Shoots Self
    AP

posted: 20 HOURS 13 MINUTES AGO
    comments: 231
    filed under: National News, Weird News

MONROE, Ohio (Nov. 29) - Police in southwestern Ohio say a police chief mistakenly shot himself in the thigh after giving his daughter a gun safety lesson.
    A police report says 54-year-old Middletown police Chief Greg Schwarber was preparing to clean his Glock .45-caliber pistol on Friday and didn't realize the gun was still loaded.
    The report written by officers from neighboring Monroe says the bullet entered Schwarber's leg just above the knee.
    When officers arrived, they found the chief lying on the floor with a towel covering his leg. Schwarber was taken to a hospital for treatment.
    The hospital had no record of Schwarber being treated or admitted. A home phone number for him couldn't be found.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Every time I do a class, I tell people 2-3 times about making sure that your gun is safely unloaded before you sit down to clean it because your focus tends to be on cleaning and not safety. Usually I get a few folks rolling their eyes because it seems like such a simple concept.

Its sad that we have examples like this that provide classroom fodder for me to talk about.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Only police are responsible enough to have guns.

Glad to see it wasn't serious for the LEO though.

Post imported post

At first I thought this was a repost of Lee Paige.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    I know this happened in OHIO.. but I am asking my fellow Virginia Gun owners to take park in my little quiz. How many and which gun safety rules were violated? Ed
    <snip>

1. Treat every gun as if it is loaded, no matter its actual or perceived condition

2. never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot (i am of course assuming he did not intend to shoot his leg)

3. keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. (again, assuming he was not ready to fire)

4. You don't need to use a loaded gun to teach your kid about gun safety.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER, TARGET

All guns are LOADED until they aren't.

Cover with the MUZZLE only that which you would destroy.

Keep your finger off the TRIGGER. Keep YOUR finger off THAT TRIGGER.

Know and love your TARGET and what's beyond.

Now it appears that a corollary must be added; don't pickup a gun that's smarter than its operator.

Post imported post

My rule of thumb for handling a firearm, especially if I'm going to be cleaning it or otherwise moving / manipulating it...

If I've lost eye / physical contact and cannot be certain of its status (loaded or unloaded), I assume the firearm is loaded and treat it accordingly.

Thus if I've cleared it and set it down, walk to another room to get something for my cleaning kit because I forgot it, I assume the firearm is (magically) loaded upon my return. Never mind that I may have locked the slide open and that I have all its magazines in my pocket.

I will still make sure it's clear and safe.

It always seems like a trite little saying but it is worth repeating... Don't learn gun safety by accident.

Post imported post

There is no excuse with the Glock....if this chief had understood the operation of his weapon, when he saw the trigger was in the forward position, he should have checked the chamber immediately. I assume he pulled the trigger because it has to be in the rearward position for disassembly.

And if I leave a gun lying out, even if I only leave the room for 5 minutes (and I don't live in a house with any children), the action is always open, so when I go to pick it up there can be no mistake about whether ammo is in the gun.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
    ed wrote:
    <snip>

1. Treat every gun as if it is loaded, no matter its actual or perceived condition

2. never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot (i am of course assuming he did not intend to shoot his leg)

3. keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. (again, assuming he was not ready to fire)

That's what I was thinking too.. and
    5. No ammo anywhere near cleaning gun.

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

"I am the only one professional enough to handle this firearm," "BANG.!!!!":shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Harper1227 wrote:
    ed wrote:
    <snip>

That's what I was thinking too.. and
    5. No ammo anywhere near cleaning gun.

I follow that 5th rule as well. It also means I don't have to worry about getting any oil on my carry ammo as an added benefit.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

Now it appears that a corollary must be added; don't pickup a gun that's smarter than its operator.
    YOU SEEM LIKE YOU KNOW A LITTLE BUT LET ME ADD SOME FEW THAT YOU LEFT BEHIND.

-YOUR EXPERIENCE IS IMPORTANT ONLY IF YOU HAVE BEEN DOING IT RIGHT ALL OF THOSE YEARS

-ONLY PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

-LOSE MOMENTUM AND YOU MAY LOSE A LIFE

-MISTAKES HAVE A SNOW BALLING EFFECT AND THAT'S WHEN MURPHY SHOWS UP

-THERE IS NO ROOM FOR MEDIOCRITY; ON YOUR WORST DAY YOU SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THE BAD GUY. THIS CAN ONLY HAPPEN IF YOU ARE A HIGH ACHIEVER TO BEGIN WITH.

-KNOWING WHAT YOU CAN'T DO IS JUST AS IMPORTANT KNOWING WHAT YOU CAN DO.

Post imported post

swatpro911 wrote:

-YOUR EXPERIENCE IS IMPORTANT ONLY IF YOU HAVE BEEN DOING IT RIGHT ALL OF THOSE YEARS

-THERE IS NO ROOM FOR MEDIOCRITY; ON YOUR WORST DAY YOU SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THE BAD GUY. THIS CAN ONLY HAPPEN IF YOU ARE A HIGH ACHIEVER TO BEGIN WITH.

Your caps lock keys seems to be stuck in the LOUD posistion. On theleft of your keyboard, above your "shift" key. . .hit that one and then continue.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I follow The Four Rules.

I picked up DarthMords lose-sight rule along the way.

And Ed's about keeping the ammo separate. Basically, I unload and clear in another room before coming to the cleaning table.

The only thing I can add is that I deliberately declare to myself that I am handling a gun every time I touch one. Turns off any complacency, turns on alertness to the safety rules.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

I'm in the habit of clearing my firearm whenever I come in the house. I'll still keep it empty in the holster, with a full mag in my pocket, but I just don't feel comfortable "inside the wire" with it loaded. Don't know why. Anyway, yeah the Army has made me overly paranoid about weapons safety, so I visually and manually inspect my firearms when unloading to ensure their status, then I point in a safe direction and dry fire as an added measure. Recheck every time you pick your firearm up to ensure that you know what status its on.

Post imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

What the hell are you talking about. Doug and the other poster who stated the "cardinal rules" of firearms safety summed it up. Stop with your senseless babble.

Post imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
    ed wrote:
    <snip>

Jus to add one-

Know your target and what is beyond it.