• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY IN Oregon? NEW MEMBER

SpizyChicken

imported post

I'm a brand new member here. This is my first post. I have looked around a few sites and even checked out Oregon's OC laws, but they don't make much sense.

Can you OC in Oregon? Or can you only OC in Oregon with a CCL?

I have a Sig Sauer p228 for self defense. It's a bit large for CC, but will if I have to.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I'm no expert on Oregon law, but I think the rules vary by county and locality.

I know where I passed through in Malheur County open carry was legal without a permit.

According to the map on this site, those with a permit can carry openly and ignore local bans, but unless if there is a local ban I think open carry is legal without one.

In the Oregon specific forum you can probably find all the rules that would apply in Oregon.

adamsesq

imported post

Spizy - feel free to drop by the Oregon forum and introduce yourself. We don't bite and are happy to have more locals.

-adamsesq (NW Oregon)

JBURGII

imported post

Yes you can OC in the state of Oregon without a permit. If you search the Oregon specific threads you will run across tons of info including the list of cities here that ban loaded OC, although if you do have said permit you are exempt. Like I said though, do some reading in the Oregon section.. all of your questions will be answered.

Welcome to the board!

J

p.s. You want to talk too large to OC, try a Hi-Point .45.. yikes!

SpizyChicken

imported post

I actually read that although OREGON is a OC state, most of the major cities, PORTLAND, BEAVERTON, TIGARD, etc have BANS on OC unless you have a CC permit.
But what does a CC permit have to do with exposing your sidearm?

I want to make sure everything is clearly understood and followed by the law.

See, it's not people like US you need to worry about. It's the crack head nut job that stuffs his stolen .45 into his baggy pants and shoots at anything that he wants to.

That's why the country needs people like US!

SpizyChicken

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
SpizyChicken wrote:
I have a Sig Sauer p228 for self defense. It's a bit large for CC, but will if I have to.
I frequently CC my P228 both IWB and OWB depending on what I am wearing.
What do you use to carry IWB and OWB? What would you recommend? I'm a noobie here.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry my P228 OWB in a Blackhawk SERPA CQC using the paddle attachment and I usually carry IWB in a Minotaur MTAC and carry both on a 5.11 gun belt. I am happy with my primary holster choices, but not sure that I will buy another 5.11 belt.

The Blackhawk does well for OC and is pretty easily covered for CC with a jacket, sportscoat or heavier sweater unless you are someplace like Texas where even accidental printing can get you busted by LEO. The Minotaur is fully tuckable so how well you can CC the P228 is really going to depend on your build and preferred manner of dress.

If you have any other questions specific to the P228 I'm happy to answer as best I can.

ETA: More detail for the newbie.

SpizyChicken

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I carry my P228 OWB in a Blackhawk SERPA CQC using the paddle attachment and I usually carry IWB in a Minotaur MTAC and carry both on a 5.11 gun belt. I am happy with my primary holster choices, but not sure that I will buy another 5.11 belt.

The Blackhawk does well for OC and is pretty easily covered for CC with a jacket, sportscoat or heavier sweater unless you are someplace like Texas where even accidental printing can get you busted by LEO. The Minotaur is fully tuckable so how well you can CC the P228 is really going to depend on your build and preferred manner of dress.

If you have any other questions specific to the P228 I'm happy to answer as best I can.

ETA: More detail for the newbie.
Yes, can you explain what CQC and IWB, are? I'm a bit new to the abrvs.