• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Garland Public Gun Range?

TX6Shooter

imported post

I'm a member there. I live in East Texas now but I shoot at the GPR every time I visit Dallas every couple months.

ironclad

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I'm a member there too. I like this range a lot...the people who run it are friendly and helpfull. This is where I signed up to get my CHL...my instructor was excellent.

But I have to admit...one of the reasons I like it so much is because it is right down the road from me. I have to admit, that since it is a Public Range...there are occasional Nut-Balls who show up. It is normal procedure to just give room to them until they are finished, and gone...they wont be there long because Nut-Balls just want to shoot their wad fast and heavy!? They are, after all...Nut-Balls.

But on the other hand...there is a lot a really professional shooters showing up there. I am always surprised and happy to get a chance to talk to and shoot with some of the people who show up. I remember one day, a "military guy" showed up in full-camo, with a rifle that looked like something from a Hollywood movie... he took the far end spot surrounded by some of the guys who ran the place, and proceeded to tear up his targets, in a way that made me proud of our military men... and our modern gun manufacturers!!

This Garland Public Range is bad when it's bad... and it's real good when it's good. I recommend it, especially if you live close.

BearGFR

imported post

I live near there and love the place. The folks who run it are sticklers for safe firing-line procedures and don't miss much - I like that. I work with boy scouts a lot and have taken some of my merit badge classes out there for live fire practice. I'm an NRA training counselor, instructor, Chief RSO, CHL holder... not that I'm impressed with myself or trying to brag - hopefully that just means I can recognize a safe range when I see one.

Rob

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

BearGFR wrote:
I live near there and love the place. The folks who run it are sticklers for safe firing-line procedures and don't miss much - I like that. I work with boy scouts a lot and have taken some of my merit badge classes out there for live fire practice. I'm an NRA training counselor, instructor, Chief RSO, CHL holder... not that I'm impressed with myself or trying to brag - hopefully that just means I can recognize a safe range when I see one.

Rob
I agree...Out of the 9 or so ranges I have been a member of or used this one is ranked #1 in safety.

jenkins205

imported post

Re: Garland Public Range

My wife and I got range cards shortly after moving to Garland in 1979. I don't recall a single event about which I should complain or warn others against. Go. Enjoy.

jenkins 205