• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No Guns" signs in stores/motels

Hunt4life

imported post

While in Kansas a few weeks ago I saw many of these signs while in Wichita and Newton. I wrote to Days Inn about the sign and received this from the property manager in Newton...

"...it was not our decision to post the "No Guns allowed" sign.The City of Newton mandated all businesses to post the "No guns allowed" sign on all entrance doors. Infact, the City of Wichita also has the "no weapons allowed" sign posted on all public and private businesses. I am sorry that you found the sign to be offensive. If you need further clarification about the "No weapons allowed" sign postings feel free to contact the City of Newton..."

Is this accurate? Is there no preemption law in Kansas? Can cities mandate this sort of thing?

Here is a copy of the email I sent to Days Inn, btw...

"Kansas has a law allowing properly licenced individuals to carry self-protection weapons (concealed), the state also offers excellent hunting opportunities. That this property does not allow guests to bring their legally owned hunting and personal protection weapons into their rooms is ridiculous and offensive.

1) No one wants to leave their expensive hunting/self-defense weapons in their vehicle and subject to theft - The sign actually makes hunting vehicles in the parking lot targets for gun theft.

2) The sign is offensive, it does nothing to keep guests safe. In fact, quite the opposite.

3) The sign informs criminals that guests have been disarmed and are easy victims.

While I recognise the right of the property owner to make this policy decision I will exercise my right not to stay at this property again and to inform my friends andbusiness associatesof the situation there."

Walleye

imported post

No, Kansas has no preemption of firearms laws. Our governor killed the bill that would have allowed full preemption of all firearm laws. So cities can set their own rules, to a degree. They can restrict carry within buildings, but not on sidewalks, roads, etc. - it must be a building.

As for mandating businesses to put up the signs, I would imagine that depends on the city but it sounds wrong. Private property should not be required to put the signs up if they do not wish to do so, but IANAL so there may be something in Kansas that allows municipalities to regulate private businesses within their borders.

captainamerica

imported post

Here is the thread:

http://www.ksccw.com/site/showthread.php?t=9451

I've read numerous times after new CCW state laws that local LEO in various cities, counties, etc. went throughout their jurisdictions heavily pushing no-ccw signs. And in some cases they acted like it was required. Nothing surprises me with the deep meat hooks the anti-gun agenda has brainwashed America into.

Walleye

imported post

It wouldn't surprise me, given how many idiots are running cities out here in KS. We've got enough idiots running things in this state that it's hard to call KS a midwest state at all.

Gunslinger

imported post

No town can tell businesses to post 'no guns' signs. If the business caves and is a chain, contact the home office. It it's local, don't patronize it and let them know why. If the cops say it's required, they're full of shit. And trying to strongarm someone into posting is abuse of process and actionable. Letters to the editor seem like a good forum to make people aware of this in any given town.

apotheon

imported post

Is there any news on this since December last year? Are the signs still posted all over Wichita and Newton prohibiting firearms inside business establishments?

m151dave

imported post

There are many business in Wichita which do not prohibit concealed carry. There was an "assumption" when the law first passed that it was required, most likely a misdirection by anti-gun folks in or out of the administration. But since then, many signs have come down and a lot of places are open to CCW. I have even seen signs that express CCW folks are most welcome and to come on in.

Open carry is dicey here. LEO's are not well versed in jmy opinion and most likely you will be able to count on being stopped and questioned in not more. If you have the time and money to fight it, jump through legal hoops to get your gun back, etc... then the outcome would be interesting and a certain TV news story here in Wichita.

apotheon

imported post

I wish I had that kind of time and money -- but I don't. I'll have to let someone else fight that battle.