• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter ...

Repeater

imported post

by David Codrea

Gun Rights Examiner readers who have been here since the beginning, lo, these many weeks ago, will recall one of my first concerns involved police arresting gun owners who open carry--a legal practice that can still result in dangerous encounters with law enforcement officers who may not know that (or may know and act anyway). To that end, I wrote a letter to Attorney General Nancy H. Rogers,

putting her on notice that Ohio law is being violated by those we rely on to enforce it, that it is public knowledge she knows of this, and that it is her duty to use the powers of her office to ensure all public officials are in compliance with Ohio laws. Basically I'll be asking her to formally notify every police official in the state that open carry is legal, that liabilities exist for continued interference with it, willful and otherwise, and to put the ball in their court to ensure their officers are trained...

ScreenHunter_01_Dec__01_06_57.jpg

The above graphic is my USPS Domestic Return Receipt, proof that her office received my letter.

Will it do any good? Well, not at forcing action out of her. She's been as effective at setting up precautions against abuses as she was in the "Joe the Plumber" affair--and held to even less account for it. As she's in the final days of her term, I wouldn't expect to see her shake up the status quo.

Which doesn't mean it's been a wasted effort. A wall is built of many bricks, and this one may yet prove useful should a gun owner needlessly suffer while the state knows danger exists yet fails to act. Plus, along with earlier actions, it provides a foundation for continued efforts that may yet bring needed change.

One guy who does promise a shake-up is Rogers' successor, Attorney General-elect Richard Cordray, who...

said he hopes to conduct a review of the Ohio Constitution, which hasn't been done in over three decades, to see if any of the state's guidelines are outdated or nonconforming.
Have I got an opportunity for him. I'm going to send him a similar letter to the one I sent his predecessor. It will be interesting to see if a politician given an "A" rating by NRA will be more responsive, don't you think?