• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond December OC dinner

Repeater

imported post

There are two good choices for a December dinner in Chesterfield.

1) For those who are BBQ lovers, there's a new restaurant that is not a chain that opened in Chesterfield called Q barbeque

George "Tuffy" stone has put his own capital into this restaurant:

Ex-Marine George "Tuffy" Stone began his cooking career in 1987 as an apprentice with acclaimed French Chef Alain Vincey at La Maisonette Restaurant in Richmond, Virginia. During the four years in Chef Vincey's kitchen, Tuffy's passion to learn and Marine-bred work ethic led him to be promoted to Sous Chef and Partner. After leaving to find new challenges, he spent the subsequent years honing his skills at some of the finest restaurants in Virginia and Florida.

In October of 1993, Tuffy and his wife Leslie opened A Sharper Palate Catering Company, which quickly became the premier caterer in Richmond, the caterer of choice for Richmond's elite, including the Governor of Virginia. A Sharper Palate was voted the Best Catering Company by Richmond Magazine year after year, having been included in Richmond's 'Rising 25' three times and in Virginia's Fantastic Fifty for being among the state's fastest growing enterprises.

Style Weekly gave a review:

food48_q_200.jpg

Tuffy Stone wins awards for his barbecue all over the country. With his Cool Smoke Team, he is an undisputed master, and luckily for us he decided to park a couple of smokers in Midlothian and let the locals get a taste.

Q Barbeque is a different kind of animal. Designer Helen Reed overlays a very modern, slick veneer upon the bare bones of the usual takeout place. It’s clearly a prototype for potential Q siblings elsewhere. Stone’s ribbons and trophies from triumphs on the barbecue circuit are everywhere. And very impressive some of them are too, as they tower 6 feet or more. It’s all reds and oranges with the occasional blue. Oversized, arty, black-and-white photos of down-home, quirky pastoral scenes hang on the walls.

Q Directions
1 mile west of Courthouse & Huguenot off of Midlothian Turnpike in the Shops at Stonehenge.

2) Capital Ale House. This restaurant features great hamburgers, steaks, chops, seafood, artery-clogging desserts, and more beer than you could shake a mug at.

Located in Midlothian Village near Rt. 288:
13831 Village Place Drive (off Midlothian Turnpike two miles east of Route 288)
Midlothian, VA 23114
804-780-ALES

Hours of Operation
Monday – Saturday 11:00 AM – 1:30 AM
Sunday 10:00 AM – 1:30 AM

With this being in Chesterfield County, perhaps the VCDL President could be encouraged to attend and perhaps discuss the upcoming session of the General Assembly.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A vote for Q barbecue because the owner is a fellow jarhead.

All three are good places, but only one will get the final nod. I like Capital Alehouse, but usually arrange for a designated driver/bodyguard when I patronize them due to the plethora of choices of beverage. ;)

BTW - it is really good to see other Richmond area OC-ers stepping up willing to get various balls rolling. The monthly dinner has been a tradition of fellowship, but nobody elected/appointed someone to be "in charge" of setting it up. The more eyes, ears and stomachs out there scouting locations the better it is.

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
A vote for Q barbecue because the owner is a fellow jarhead.

All three are good places, but only one will get the final nod. I like Capital Alehouse, but usually arrange for a designated driver/bodyguard when I patronize them due to the plethora of choices of beverage. ;)

BTW - it is really good to see other Richmond area OC-ers stepping up willing to get various balls rolling. The monthly dinner has been a tradition of fellowship, but nobody elected/appointed someone to be "in charge" of setting it up. The more eyes, ears and stomachs out there scouting locations the better it is.

stay safe.

skidmark
At this point, I favor Q Barbeque .

If a meeting/speaker is anticipated, I presume they have such facilities available.

Do you have an exact address for those using a GPS?

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

buster81 wrote:
Date??? Perhaps the 15th???

Historically the OC dinner has been at 7 PM on the 2nd Tuesday of the month. After a long period of not being sure if there would even be a regular monthly OC dinner, that date was settled on.

I would like to hear from those that "regularly" attend the OC dinners to see if there is any desire to change the date or time. I'd also like to hear from folks who have previously said that 7 PM on the second Tuesday of each month is not possible that they still find that to be the case.

My personal situation is such that I would be OK with just about any date. I'd prefer to keep things as they are if a majority of the "regulars" felt changing the date was not acceptable, because I truely enjoy their company more than I just want to go out to dinner wearing one of my handguns.

On the other hand, if there are enough folks that find 7 PM onthe second Tuesday of each month not to be a good date & time, and can find another date & timethat will become one they can count on when making up their schedules, then I might easily see my way to adding a second monthly dinner to my personal schedule. That way I can meet with two sets of folks whose company I enjoy. If a second OC dinner is to be formed, I want to get in early for suggesting thatearly Saturday night (perhaps as early as 5 PM)be looked at so that more folks can consider the whole family participating.

But until we can discuss this thoroughly, I vote for not changing the date/time. I also vote for taking the discussion of keeping or changing the date/time to a separate thread - like here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/19006.html

stay safe.

skidmark

* edited to fix the link to the new thread.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Repeater Are you coordinating, planning, running with the ball or was your OP only a mega marketing suggestion for a friend? If it was that is fine but there is a little more attention needed if we all are to sit down at the same time and place.

Generally, the OP is expected to follow through having established a lead. In the past, the lack of an up front, fully definitive date, time and place created confusion, debate, 11th hour suggestions and the like.

While there never was an intent to deprive anyone of the privilege of "hosting" a get together, several of us watched past plans flounder and die on the beach - so we stepped up and took up the slack, made plans, posted & coordinated.

What's happening? Who's on first? Are you pitching? My pop corn is running low.

Yata hey

Repeater

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Repeater Are you coordinating, planning, running with the ball or was your OP only a mega marketing suggestion for a friend? If it was that is fine but there is a little more attention needed if we all are to sit down at the same time and place.
It was only a modest suggestion. I'm flexible on the date; Tuesdays have been good.

Whatever the consensus opinion for December is fine.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Repeater wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
It was only a modest suggestion. I'm flexible on the date; Tuesdays have been good.

Not good enough!

You stepped up to the plate to get the December 2008 Richmond OC dinner under way.

Several people have responded by asking if you are going to take on all the tasks associated with organizing the event. (Along the way, side conversations about changing the date/time were shunted to a separate thread.) Oh, yeah! - two folks spoke up and said your suggested location was agreeable.

Now you say "Whatever."

Well, I say, "Not good enough." Either you assume all the duties and responsibilities of the host (possibly getting assistance along the wayfrom some friends) or you step aside. "Whatever" is not going to cut it.

The funny thing is, there were several people who were looking at the possibility of an additional "host" as being a Good Thing[suP]TM[/suP].

I'm ready to vote with my feet, but I'll give you till tomorrow (is 6 PM good for you?) to decide to carry through before I need to drop you as the lead person for the December 2008 Richmond OC Dinner.

I hope you understand this is not directed to you because I am upset that you were trying to usurp the "regulars" who arrange the OC dinners. It's directed at you because you are not willing to carry out what you started.

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Repeater wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

I take that to mean you are not willing to do the coordination/planning. Personally, I have never checked out Q Barbecue nor am I aware of their potential acceptance of our group.

In the past, we have selected a location from previous recommendations and announced the location with details. Opening a thread and offering/soliciting suggestions is not the way to get the package together in a timely fashion - still allowing for decisions to be made by attendees.

While I do not think it was your intention, your post which read like a "plan" had been formulated did disrupt the regular process as we were willing enough to let someone else take the reins for a change. The OP was made (one wk in advance) when others were preparing to post the anticipated information..

My suggestion to any one wishing to set up a second OC dinner, which I would endorse fully, would be to plan/schedule a date separate from the second Tuesday of the month to avoid conflicts.

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

THIS thread is now declared dead. The"new and official"December 2008 Richmond OC Dinner thread is located at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/19097.html

I'd like to compliment Repeater for his first attempt at setting up the event. I just wish he had been able to follow through without getting sidetracked and then blown off course regarding the date issue.

I'm going to nominate him for membership in the "Executive Committee" that has evolved over time for arranging the OC dinners. In case anyone is interested, there is no need for someone to be nominated - just chime in and say you want to help out in setting up these events. The greatest need right now seems to be scouts for new and exciting locations that are not going to kill the family budget or require extensive travel time.

stay safe.

skidmark