• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is your desire for open carry for protection or for your ego?

ideator

imported post

I would strongly urge the administrators to replace the image on the index page of the site. The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it. She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego – “Look at me; I’m carrying a gun!” This is not the attitude that legal gun carriers want to portray whether they be concealed or open carriers.

I have carried legally in Texas for 5 years. I never go out of the house without being armed. I am even armed when I take out the garbage. But I don’t take pride in that fact. It is just something that I do to protect myself. I like my weapon concealed. It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly. If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. This may give them the advantage. I want to surprise him/her.

Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards. The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride. Doubt that? Seriously examine your thoughts for a period. Those that don’t carry and those that are opposed to weapons are quick to see this and will use this as a prime motivation to defeat it. We have a great asset in concealed carry. Let’s be satisfied with that. The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ideator wrote:
I would strongly urge the administrators to replace the image on the index page of the site. The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it. She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego – “Look at me; I’m carrying a gun!” This is not the attitude that legal gun carriers want to portray whether they be concealed or open carriers.

I have carried legally in Texas for 5 years. I never go out of the house without being armed. I am even armed when I take out the garbage. But I don’t take pride in that fact. It is just something that I do to protect myself. I like my weapon concealed. It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly. If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. This may give them the advantage. I want to surprise him/her.

Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards. The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride. Doubt that? Seriously examine your thoughts for a period. Those that don’t carry and those that are opposed to weapons are quick to see this and will use this as a prime motivation to defeat it. We have a great asset in concealed carry. Let’s be satisfied with that. The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry.
Drive by???

You don't have a choice in Texas, you have to conceal since open carry is illegal there.

"Let's be satisfied with that", what the hell kind of logic is that. I only got 6 lashes with the whip, I could have got 12... so I'm happy. Good lord.

Vegassteve

imported post

ideator wrote:
It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly.

I know this asshole is a troll, but really how is that true? How please if you come back explain how you can get it faster.

SANDCREEK

imported post

Cute lil' gal in blue referred to - she's making a statement to any disposed to intrude into her space against her will. She doesn't frighten or threaten me one bit.As a matter of fact I'd like to see every woman so attired. I guess the sight of an armed female threatens some people - huh ?

dodge310

imported post

All I have to say is that any Idiot that actually believes this needs to be run into down town Loisville with Rebel flag on their shoulder...

Seriously, what is wrong with Open carry. It is legal in KY and I have carried open for years. Currently waiting for my License to get here, but I dont have a bit of a problem carrying open. As for the ones that dont like guns and don't like me carrying them, I tell them the same thing I tell my Wife. If you dont like it, Move on. Your not going to stop me, so just STFU about it. (Yes my wife hates guns with a passion and I have 7)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ideator wrote:
If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. This may give them the advantage. I want to surprise him/her.

I thought I just open carried to compensate for my especially small penis, but now that I have seriously examined my thoughts for a period, I realize that I too do not want an opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. Instead of being friendly and OCing, my small penis really requires that I be sneaky, pensive and accusatory and think of myself as the enemy of any opponent rather than just, well, a guy who may be able to peacefully end a confrontation and walk away. Whew! Thanks for clearing that up. My obviously neglected ego and pride thank you as well as my especially small penis which was clearly NOT receiving the emotional nurishment it needed when I OC.

Hcidem

imported post

I, myself, would prefer that the administrators KEEP the image on the index page of the site (not that it was really going to be removed). The young lady displays the confident and self-assured attitude that all carriers should portray.

I believe she portrays afine example of an armed American citizen. I suppose covering her with a parka might please some of the anti-OC crowd. Then again, that would not be open carrying, would it?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
ideator wrote:
If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy.  This may give them the advantage.  I want to surprise him/her.

Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards.  The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride.  Doubt that?  Seriously examine your thoughts for a period.  Those that don’t carry and those that are opposed to weapons are quick to see this and will use this as a prime motivation to defeat it.  We have a great asset in concealed carry.  Let’s be satisfied with that.  The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry.
I thought I just open carried to compensate for my especially small penis, but now that I have seriously examined my thoughts for a period, I realize that I too do not want an opponent to know that I am his/her enemy.  Instead of being friendly and OCing, my small penis really requires that I be sneaky, pensive and accusatory and think of myself as the enemy of any opponent rather than just, well, a guy who may be able to peacefully end a confrontation and walk away.  Whew!  Thanks for clearing that up.  My obviously neglected ego and pride thank you as well as my especially small penis which was clearly NOT receiving the emotional nurishment it needed when I OC.
lol, Idiotor = pwnt

Hcidem

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Good Lord, what next.

Guess he'd hate to see the picture I have of my grandaughter when she was maybe 15 months old, with my Armalite M15A2 Carbine across her small lap, and shooting muffs on her little ears.
Although I can't answer directly for Ideator, I expect that it might depend on whether your granddaughter was "carrying" the carbine for self-defense or for her ego. ;)

Pamiam

imported post

Is your desire for open carry for protection or for your ego?

Speaking as a CC female, the answer is "yes".

I'm pretty danged tired of having to choose and layer clothing for cc. I'd much rather choose the clothes, and then the carry, instead of the other way around.

And I got over big, bulky purses with key locks and cabled straps real quick.

I also wouldn't mind at all not having to practice springing my weapon as a *SURPRISE* on attackers. I'd far prefer they saw it up front and saved both of us the trouble.

So, yes.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

uh.....what's an "ego"?

I OC cuz I'm trying to bring back the spirit of the old Wild Wild West, a period in this country's history when people had grit, self-determination, resourcefulness, and were independant as hell.

VAopencarry

imported post

I also wouldn't mind at all not having to practice springing my weapon as a *SURPRISE* on attackers. I'd far prefer they saw it up front and saved both of us the trouble.

Amen sister! and Welcome to OCDO!!

Hcidem

imported post

Pamiam wrote:

Your reference to an "attacker" makes me think of a one-on-one, "deserted street" type of confrontation. However, the thought of a springing weapon "surprise" makes me think of a situation where others might be present.

A bystander might see an additional weapon as an additional threat if it pops up unexpectedly. If they had seen it before, or noticed it was drawn from a visible holster, they might be less likely to challenge you or yell "gun!" as you are trying to sight in on the bad guy.

This is probably a topic which should be under a tactics thread.