• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is your desire for open carry for protection or for your ego?

Statesman

imported post

I would strongly urge the administrators to replace the image on the index page of the site. The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it. She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego – “Look at me; I’m carrying a gun!” This is not the attitude that legal gun carriers want to portray whether they be concealed or open carriers.

Good point to consider. We should be concerned about public relations with respect to the OC movement. Even if we do, OC opponents will find something to complain about regardless. I've often worried about how OC is perceived by the masses. Frankly, the lady in the blue shirt is sporting more of a sexy look if you ask me. Even if she is interpreted in a negative way towards OC, we have three other OC people in similar images on the site. To your point, the others are not on the main page.

I have carried legally in Texas for 5 years. I never go out of the house without being armed. I am even armed when I take out the garbage. But I don’t take pride in that fact. It is just something that I do to protect myself. I like my weapon concealed. It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly. If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. This may give them the advantage. I want to surprise him/her.

OC and CC is a preference, and neither option should be eliminated from choice. Some situations, as interpreted by individual thought, call for OC, some do not.

Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards.

How is it a step backwards? What if non-aggressive, responsible gun owners that OC, have a positive effect on society as a whole? Then again, with Obama in office, I'm sure he'll do a good job of convincing his blind followers that a gun on the street is a bad one, and we should have less. I think conveinient store clerks should OC, and their managers should encourage it. Customers would get used to seeing them OC, and would understand it is for their own protection.

The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride. Doubt that? Seriously examine your thoughts for a period. Those that don’t carry and those that are opposed to weapons are quick to see this and will use this as a prime motivation to defeat it.

Do police officers OC because of ego and pride? Armed security guards? Do they appear egotistical? It's more likely they do it because it portrays a desired effect on those who would harm them or others when in their presense. Compare that effect to the same police officer in plain clothes, concealed carrying. The deterrent effect on crime would simply not exist. I believe this freedom was guaranteed to the people, in many states, for that reason alone.

We have a great asset in concealed carry. Let’s be satisfied with that. The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry.

Here, you may be mistakenly confusing permission to do something, with freedom. The two are polar opposites. What we generally have with CC is government permission. I believe it is an asset only for specific situations where OC would clearly not be well received, and the property owner(s) would reject it outright. That is the main purpose of CC, in my view.

Satisfied? Hell no! I will not be satisfied with licensed activities in place of God given rights. A license is permission to own a specified thing, or perform some activity that would otherwise be unlawful. Open Carry is a right in many states, and it needs no permission from an arbitary authority who [eventually] abuses its powers.

MirkoCrocop

imported post

Statesman wrote:
jeeper1 wrote:
Is your desire for open carry for protection or for your ego?
Protection. More from animals (dogs) than people.
Dogs don't shoot or knife people. Why not use pepper spray as a first line of defense against a dog?
You know I agree with you a lot on that issue that is why when I opencarry I also sometimes carry a kimber guardian pepper shot in my back pocket for situations such as this when lethal force isnt necessary, but some form of self-defense is also helps in situations when someone is in your face threatning you olding a gun is brandishing possibly, but readying pepperspray in case in my mind is justified as it is not lethal

jeeper1

imported post

Ever been attacked by a pack of dogs? I have and bitten. More than once.

Blkwdw86

imported post

Protection. Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD, what an apt acronym) works for more than just nuclear proliferation. It boils down to criminal behavior control. Do I want to hide my gun and have the criminal attempt his crime assuming I'm unarmed and easy pickings, putting me in a position where I have little choice but to take a life and defend my freedom, family's well-being, and everything I've worked for from the whims of a government who may not see the shooting as justifiable as I did in the heat of a panicked moment? Or is it preferable for me to communicate to the criminal up front that I'm not such easy meat, best to move on to greener pastures, and leave me out of all that trouble? It's not my job to stop crime, that's what police are for. My job is to stop crime against ME, and anyone around me, and the best way by far to do that is prevent it before it happens, not after (the major failing point of police and the need for carrying weapons in the first place). Ego? I'd be lying if I said wearing a gun doesn't provide a feeling of self-sufficiency, and a bit of bravado. But it's not the motivating factor. Everyone going home tonight and sleeping in their own beds is my motivating factor.

Statesman

imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
No, however, pepper spray may be sufficient to fend off several dogs at once. If you are in a large city and got attacked by a pack of dogs, I would be surprised. However, if you're talking about wild dogs in the woods, I would not hesitate to blow a hole through coyotes or wolves that are stalking me.

I have five dogs myself, and I prefer their company to the vast majority of people. I'm not PETA member, however as a first line of defense, I would rather spray a stray dog rather than kill it. This should not be construed to impugn your choice of OC as a first line of defense against dogs. I'm merely making a suggestion that killing a dog that is protecting its territory (that you are in), may not warrant killing it if you have a more humane way of handling the situation.

Save the poochies!! :p

jeeper1

imported post

I didn't mean shooting dogs in their yard. I live in a semi rural area and meant while riding my electric scooter on the local trails and roads. Lots of people around here ignore the leash laws.
I have even seen bears during the day in the area.

nitrovic

imported post

ideator wrote:
I would strongly urge the administrators to replace the image on the index page of the site.  The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it.  She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego – “Look at me; I’m carrying a gun!”  This is not the attitude that legal gun carriers want to portray whether they be concealed or open carriers. 

I have carried legally in Texas for 5 years.  I never go out of the house without being armed.  I am even armed when I take out the garbage.   But I don’t take pride in that fact.  It is just something that I do to protect myself.   I like my weapon concealed.  It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly.  If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy.  This may give them the advantage.  I want to surprise him/her.

Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards.  The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride.  Doubt that?  Seriously examine your thoughts for a period.  Those that don’t carry and those that are opposed to weapons are quick to see this and will use this as a prime motivation to defeat it.  We have a great asset in concealed carry.  Let’s be satisfied with that.  The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry.

First off, have you had any training in regards to weapons (specifically weapon retention)? If you have, you would know that it is actually pretty hard to get a weapon from an alert, trained persons holster.

Second, if somebody already has a gun out, they have the advantage, period. It is very tough under stress to draw and get " the drop" on an armed assailant while CC'ing

Third, what's with the "ego" thing? It's people doing what is allowed under the constitution. Nothing to do with "ego".

JBURGII

imported post

Statesman wrote:
jeeper1 wrote:
No, however, pepper spray may be sufficient to fend off several dogs at once. If you are in a large city and got attacked by a pack of dogs, I would be surprised. However, if you're talking about wild dogs in the woods, I would not hesitate to blow a hole through coyotes or wolves that are stalking me.

I have five dogs myself, and I prefer their company to the vast majority of people. I'm not PETA member, however as a first line of defense, I would rather spray a stray dog rather than kill it. This should not be construed to impugn your choice of OC as a first line of defense against dogs. I'm merely making a suggestion that killing a dog that is protecting its territory (that you are in), may not warrant killing it if you have a more humane way of handling the situation.

Save the poochies!! :p

I OC for defense. I have to for lack of permit to conceal. I believe once I get the requisite permit I will OC anyway and carry the concealed bug. (excuse to purchase another pistol).

I have dogs and horses.. point is I am an animal guy.. I think what the assumption is that the dogs in question are not protecting 'their' territory but loose. A dog protecting its domain is a bit different from the pack mentality of loose animals. We run into all sorts of interesting situations while working for public utility here in Oregon. Having legal access to private property the renter/owner has to control any dogs in the yard or I have permission to disable. I would prefer to use non-lethal methods for sure.. Dang, now I have to plan my 'Batman' utility belt..

Primary sidearm.. b.u.g.. fixed blade.. folder backup.. pepper spray.. trauma kit.. micro filament winch gun.. er wait, do they actually make those?

James :cool:

2a4all

imported post

ideator wrote:
I would strongly urge the administrators to replace the image on the index page of the site. The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it. She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego – “Look at me; I’m carrying a gun!” This is not the attitude that legal gun carriers want to portray whether they be concealed or open carriers.
How about this guy?

attachment.php

Blkwdw86

imported post

Now that this has been pointed out, pay attention to how long it takes for the movie to play on TV with the "offending" piece of equipment digitally airbrushed out.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Perhaps by ego he means that we have more ego than him?

I am egotistical enough to think that my family is worth protecting...if you don't feel the same way then maybe you have self esteem issues or need to explore why your family is not in worthy of your protection.

What I don't get is over protective parents. . . they don't want them to get hurt, always wash their hand and use the sanitizer and all the things they think they can do to "keep them safe" except carry a defensive weapon!

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

ideator wrote:
... The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it.

That's the best you could come up with against OC? lol
I'm never short of amused at what some self serving anti-OC know-better-than-anyone-else type come up with :lol:

ideator wrote:
I have carried legally in Texas for 5 years. I never go out of the house without being armed. I am even armed when I take out the garbage. But I don’t take pride in that fact. It is just something that I do to protect myself. I like my weapon concealed. It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly. If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. This may give them the advantage. I want to surprise him/her.

Well congrats on your choice!
However, jut because others have found reasons to choose to carry in a legal manner other than yours does not equal an ego problem on their part as you suggest. That's ego-driven bullshit on your part.
For a primer on some of the reasons folks choose OC, read this:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/12053.html

ideator wrote:
...Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards. blah bla blah ...The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry.

Sorry, strike 3 for you :lol:
If you actually do some research relative to states that have been re-normalizing OC you'll find the exact opposite of your speculation.

JBURGII

imported post

Yukon HAS to carry! Imagine the LE response time to his house? I for one can imagine Santa pulling a Stoeger Coach gun out in the event of a sleigh-jacking..

I don't see any ego in her stance.. I see confidence and the ability to enjoy life with a little less fear..

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well I am afraid I can't comment on the beautiful young woman on the home page. She certainly does not offend me, and I would be proud to be seen in public with her. That said, too many people who know my age will accuse me of being an old reprobate if I go on. While that accusation is true, I don't need to hear it again.

:celebrate

As to open carry, there is an honesty in the practice that simply cannot be denied. The firearm is out in the open. There is NO attempt to sneak about. There is NO intention to take others by surprise.

A person in OC mode is expressing a fearless willingness to defend himself and those around him or her, from harm. Usually that harm comes from a criminal who CONCEALS his weapon precisely to take others by surprise.

So where does that leave us? Well it leaves me wondering why a person who Carries in the OPEN would have to justify ANYTHING to others. The fact is, people who insist on CONCEALED CARRY ONLY, need to explain to the rest of us why they need to hide their intentions from honest members of the community. What do they have to hide that necessitates hiding the fact that they are armed.

Oh yea. It is in fact Concealed carry only states that have taken a big step backwards, not the more progressive OC states.

Regards

Alexcabbie

imported post

I open carry to send a message to the BGs that the citizenry is ARMED and dangerous to eff with. I have had a couple instances where a shady carachter shadowed me to my left but suddenly decided to go elsewhere when I turned and my weapon was visible. There is a convenience store I go to where the bums agressively panhandle. When I started OCing, they stopped; and now I don't even need to be armed, they just leave when they see my car pull up. Ego ain't got a thing to do with it; and if you carry for show you better be ready to have that firearm taken away ands shoved up your rectal orifice. My "desire" for open carry stems more from the fact that sometimes it is more convenient to just shove a padle holster int my waistband and noit worry about covering up. And if you don't like it, then I have exactly two words for you; and it is NOT "Happy Birthday", either. Get Lost.