Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Will the Open Carry movement weaken the support for the Concealed Carry right?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    I would strongly urge the administrators to replace the image on the index page of the site. The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it. She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego – “Look at me; I’m carrying a gun!” This is not the attitude that legal gun carriers want to portray whether they be concealed or open carriers.

    I have carried legally in Texas for 5 years. I never go out of the house without being armed. I am even armed when I take out the garbage. But I don’t take pride in that fact. It is just something that I do to protect myself. I like my weapon concealed. It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly. If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. This may give them the advantage. I want to surprise him/her.


    Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards. The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride. Doubt that? Seriously examine your thoughts for a period. Those that don’t carry and those that are opposed to weapons are quick to see this and will use this as a prime motivation to defeat it. We have a great asset in concealed carry. Let’s be satisfied with that. The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    I see no mention of a "concealed carry right."

    For you to question my principles that have led me to open carry is an Obamination.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    376

    Post imported post

    This guy has a problem with hot women wearing guns. Seriously, Mods this man needs help.

    All joking aside, what is wrong with someone having confidence?

    I'm not satisfied with CC. That's like being satisfied to freely speak in a closed room.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    arlington,va, ,
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    ideator :"The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it. She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego"

    I think the picture is great. You may be seeing things in it that you want to, that aren't there at all. I don't see smug or smart-aleckyloaded withego at all.

    ideator : "If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. This may give them the advantage. I want to surprise him/her."

    A lot of us believe that carrying a weapon openly can deter criminals from targeting us. I would rather have a criminal walk away from attacking me after seeing a gun, than attack me and let me "suprise" them with my gun.

    I don't think there is going to beonly one "Right" way to carryfor every situation. Some situations may be better if you are concealing, some situations may be better if you are open carrying. Why not let everyone make the decision of how to carry that works best for themselves, and for their situation? More choices seem to be better than less choices.

    ideator : "Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards. The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride."

    Ibelieve you are wrong on both accounts. How do you know what most of us are interested in?

    ideator : "We have a great asset in concealed carry. Let’s be satisfied with that. The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry"

    The old "If we use our rights, they'll take them away!" argument. If I don't use my rights, what is the purpose of having them? What evidence do you have that suggests that OC "could" weaken public support? It's a pretty broad statement. Your post here "could" weaken public support for concealed carry as well. I don't have any evidence it did however, so I won't pretend it's a fact.

    ideator : "It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly"

    FASTER than open carry? I seepeople say this sometimes and always wonder what they mean. Maybe "as fast as" is accurate, but how can covering your gun, make it FASTER for you to access? Couldn't it be just as fast if you took whatever covering you have, and you didn't have to move it? So what makes it FASTER for you to draw than if you were carrying exactly the same way, except without a cover garment? Do you have a coating of teflon on the inside of your vest that makes your draw faster?



    Stick around and read the site, there are a lot of opinions about the advantage of OCing compared to CCing. There are going to be positives and negatives of both, but shouldn't each person be able to decide for themselves how best to protect themselves?





  5. #5
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    ideator wrote:
    I would strongly urge the administrators to replace the image on the index page of the site. The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it. She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego – “Look at me; I’m carrying a gun!” This is not the attitude that legal gun carriers want to portray whether they be concealed or open carriers.

    I have carried legally in Texas for 5 years. I never go out of the house without being armed. I am even armed when I take out the garbage. But I don’t take pride in that fact. It is just something that I do to protect myself. I like my weapon concealed. It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly. If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. This may give them the advantage. I want to surprise him/her.


    Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards. The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride. Doubt that? Seriously examine your thoughts for a period. Those that don’t carry and those that are opposed to weapons are quick to see this and will use this as a prime motivation to defeat it. We have a great asset in concealed carry. Let’s be satisfied with that. The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry.
    You are incorrect on all accounts. If you want to carry concealed, that's fine. But you have to worry about printing. If this passes, you won't.

    D.C. V Heller says no less than 6 times thatOC is Constitutionally protected, CC is not.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  6. #6
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    Hmm, drive by trolling at it's best......

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    716

    Post imported post

    If a draw from CC can be done faster than from OC, then why aren't people in competition doing it? When I see Leatham and Michulek do it, or any other champions,I'll believe it.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    Ok, I'll bite & cross post here, too.

    ideator, I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of eldeberries!

  10. #10
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    Walleye wrote:
    Ok, I'll bite & cross post here, too.

    ideator, I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of eldeberries!
    I'm not sure if more eloquent words have ever been spoken....written, well, you know what I mean.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Buffalo Valley, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    329

    Post imported post

    ideator wrote:
    I would strongly urge the administrators to replace the image on the index page of the site. The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it. She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego – “Look at me; I’m carrying a gun!” This is not the attitude that legal gun carriers want to portray whether they be concealed or open carriers.

    <snip>
    I'm a lot more concerned about individual liberties than I am about the attitudes of some who exercise them. The whole idea of "We don't hide our colors, do we?" is fine with me. If the lady in the picture displays a self-satisfied expression because she boldly exercises her liberties, fine by me. I'd like to see more MEN do the same. Dang.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas, USA
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    Walleye wrote:
    ideator, I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of eldeberries!
    Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time! You silly English pig dog. You bent kneed wiper of other people's bottoms. I unplug my nose at you!

  13. #13
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    ideator wrote:
    I have carried legally in Texas for 5 years. I never go out of the house without being armed. I am even armed when I take out the garbage. But I don’t take pride in that fact. It is just something that I do to protect myself.
    That's too bad. I am proud when I leave the house armed just the same as I am when I go to the voting booth. The sweet ambience of freedom is very fullfilling.

    I like my weapon concealed. It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly. If I am in a situation where I might have to use it, I don’t want the opponent to know that I am his/her enemy. This may give them the advantage. I want to surprise him/her.
    If it is your opinion that you may be at a disadvantage for carrying openly, I bet you will have a hard time finding any evidence that backs up that belief, because I have never been able to find any. In fact, I bet you find information to the contrary instead.
    Therefore, I think this whole open carry movement is a step backwards. The prime reason most are interested in it is ego and pride. Doubt that? Seriously examine your thoughts for a period.
    I don't know about ego, but sure pride is a factor. Are you not proud to live in a country that has constitution protections on your right to bear arms? A step backwards from what? We are moving forward from the backwards steps we have taken for 80 years.

    Those that don’t carry and those that are opposed to weapons are quick to see this and will use this as a prime motivation to defeat it.
    They have been trying and they are failing. We can freely open carry in most states and without a permission slip to do so.


    We have a great asset in concealed carry. Let’s be satisfied with that. The movement for open carry could weaken the public support for concealed carry.
    I think concealed carry is fine, but to be satisfied by infringements on your right to bear arms is tantamount to being satisfied on being able to vote, but only being able to vote for one party.
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hodgenville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,261

    Post imported post

    He is exuding a form of "projection" the shrinks allude to. 'Lil feller is scared of himself.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    rodbender wrote:
    D.C. V Heller says no less than 6 times thatOC is Constitutionally protected, CC is not.
    I am going to go out on a limb and disagree. I have seen some evidence in the pastthat suggestsour Founders perceived the word bear to mean carry. It doesn't differentiate how that carry was to be initiated.

    Even our current definition of bear means to hold or carry. It doesn't necessarily mean openly.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bear

    I think if the Founders were concerned about the form of carry, it would have been differentiated in the 2nd amendment, saying something like to keep and openly bear arms... I just think the point was to be able to own and carry them and in whatever fashion we deemed appropriate.

    I think laws that restrict concealed carry are just as much of an infringement as laws restricting open carry.
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  16. #16
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    Flintlock wrote:
    rodbender wrote:
    D.C. V Heller says no less than 6 times thatOC is Constitutionally protected, CC is not.
    I am going to go out on a limb and disagree. I have seen some evidence in the pastthat suggestsour Founders perceived the word bear to mean carry. It doesn't differentiate how that carry was to be initiated.

    Even our current definition of bear means to hold or carry. It doesn't necessarily mean openly.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bear

    I think if the Founders were concerned about the form of carry, it would have been differentiated in the 2nd amendment, saying something like to keep and openly bear arms... I just think the point was to be able to own and carry them and in whatever fashion we deemed appropriate.

    I think laws that restrict concealed carry are just as much of an infringement as laws restricting open carry.
    I agree with you 100%. I was just alluding to the fact as to what was in the decision. I never said I concurred.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    cccook wrote:
    Walleye wrote:
    ideator, I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of eldeberries!
    Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!* You silly English pig dog.* You bent kneed wiper of other people's bottoms.* I unplug my nose at you!
    I blow my nose at you, you silly, English k-nig-ht!

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    Flintlock wrote:
    rodbender wrote:
    D.C. V Heller says no less than 6 times that*OC is Constitutionally protected, CC is not.
    I am going to go out on a limb and disagree. I have seen some evidence in the past*that suggests*our Founders perceived the word bear to mean carry. It doesn't differentiate how that carry was to be initiated.

    Even our current definition of bear means to hold or carry. It doesn't necessarily mean openly.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bear

    I think if the Founders were concerned about the form of carry, it would have been differentiated in the 2nd amendment, saying something like to keep and openly bear arms... I just think the point was to be able to own and carry them and in whatever fashion we deemed appropriate.

    I think laws that restrict concealed carry are just as much of an infringement as laws restricting open carry.
    He was talking about the abominable Heller decision, not reality.

    In reality, the 2nd amendment doesn't specify how I shall carry, only that my right to do so shall not be infringed. Heller claims it doesn't apply to CC, because we permit that (circular reasoning).

    In reality, the 2nd amendment protects "arms", obviously including military-style bearable arms. In Heller, to the contrary, the court decided that "arms" means weapons NOT intended for or used in a military capacity, using similar circular reasoning (automatics are "sophisticated" and "unusual" (because we banned them) and thus the second amendment doesn't protect them).

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    ideator wrote:
    I would strongly urge the administrators to replace the image on the index page of the site. The young lady, though attractive, epitomizes negativity that opponents of open carry associate with it. She displays a smug, smart-alecky attitude loaded with ego – “Look at me; I’m carrying a gun!” This is not the attitude that legal gun carriers want to portray whether they be concealed or open carriers.
    Wow!! You are amazing!

    Although I have tried all my life I have never been able to tell what a woman was thinking by the mere fact that she was smiling. . Tell me your secret! When I openly carry my weapon I am not happy because I have the gun, but because I can now enjoy the time with my family and friends without the fear in the back of my head that something might happen. I don't have to fear anymore...and that makes me happy.

    It is concealed in such as fashion that I can access it faster than if it were carried openly.
    So not only are you highly intuitive with a sixth sense you poses super human speed and can draw faster from concealed than I can openly? I mean...If I were carrying locked, cocked and firearm in the holster I could draw, acquire and shoot in less than 1 second, maybe 2 if I also have to make evasive maneuvers. Is there some sort of magic you drink to get your powers?

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    I love observing people's emotionally fired interactions!
    and what better place or topic than guns!

    At risk of being chastized myself, i will have to say that I completely agree with the original comment about the girl's apparent attitude. I actually thought the exact same thing when I first saw it. Now as to whether or not it would sway anyone's decision on the topic at hand is another matter entirely.. I digress..

    My question -and excuse my ignorance if this is commonly known- If Texas were to pass the OC law, would we still at least have the option to CC if we so desired??
    If that's the case, then I don't see what all the commotion is about.

    Myself, I prefer concealed, but if someone else wants to openly carry... power to ya!

  21. #21
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    ideator, thanks for your opinion. How do you figure you have a 'right' to conceal carry? I believe the state of Texas grants you the privilege.

    You may now take your Ninja like abilities and your gun and go back in the closest and leave Liberty fighting to us.


    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  22. #22
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713

    Post imported post

    xoriu wrote:
    My question -and excuse my ignorance if this is commonly known- If Texas were to pass the OC law, would we still at least have the option to CC if we so desired??
    If that's the case, then I don't see what all the commotion is about.

    Myself, I prefer concealed, but if someone else wants to openly carry... power to ya!


    Absolutely! It would only make open carry legal. You could still CC if you want to.And it has the added advantage that if you want to CC and your gun is showing unintentionally (A breeze pushing your jacket up maybe?), thenyou are no longer breaking the law.


    Welcome to the forum xoriu!




  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran XD-GEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    722

    Post imported post

    xoriu wrote:
    I love observing people's emotionally fired interactions!
    and what better place or topic than guns!

    At risk of being chastized myself, i will have to say that I completely agree with the original comment about the girl's apparent attitude. I actually thought the exact same thing when I first saw it. Now as to whether or not it would sway anyone's decision on the topic at hand is another matter entirely.. I digress..

    My question -and excuse my ignorance if this is commonly known- If Texas were to pass the OC law, would we still at least have the option to CC if we so desired??
    If that's the case, then I don't see what all the commotion is about.

    Myself, I prefer concealed, but if someone else wants to openly carry... power to ya!
    Assuming that you are not the same troll who posted the original (in two threads, may I add) I'll answer this. It will enhance the freedom that CCers have. It will be like we have it in Louisiana where one need not worry thatif they accidentally show their weapon they'll be cited for brandishing. Here in Louisiana, our state constitution makes a clear distinction between the right to carry and the right of the state to regulate concealed carry. While I could argue against the state having such a right, it is the established way here that anyone may OC without a license, but CC requires a license. They are also not mutually exclusive and one may carry either way.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Awesome. Thanks for the answer! I'm all for options

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    935

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

    I see no mention of a "concealed carry right."

    For you to question my principles that have led me to open carry is an Obamination.

    Either we are equal or we are not.* Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.* NRA *******
    For the second time in a year I actually agree with Huffman. Very well said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •