• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will shooting to protect a victim end in the victim's death due to involuntary muscle contraction?

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Hcidem wrote:
Walther wrote:
I would think it depends upon where the BG is shot.

One shot to the cranial cavity and all functions should cease. No contrations, no movement (except for dropping to the ground).

I think the most important word hereis "should." Brain functions probably should cease, but will they always? I'd bet not.

I would rather concern myself with the question of whether I should pull the trigger. If its time to pull the trigger, then then its time to shoot. All else will fall into place for better or worse.
The point is you can't decide when it's time to pull the trigger if you don't know what effect that action will cause. I thought that was obvious.

Hcidem

imported post

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
The point is you can't decide when it's time to pull the trigger if you don't know what effect that action will cause. I thought that was obvious.
That action usually causes my gun to go BANG! Silly citizen! :lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In all the "advanced" handgun classes I have taken we were taught the "t-zone" shot (the "t" made by the eyes running down to the upper lip) and had to take it on hostage motiff targets. I have been taught that the ideal t-zone/medulla oblongata shot is between the bottom of the nose and the top of the upper lip.

I would hate to ever be in the position where I had to take that shot IRL.

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
Walther wrote:
I would think it depends upon where the BG is shot.

One shot to the cranial cavity and all functions should cease. No contrations, no movement (except for dropping to the ground).

I think the most important word hereis "should." Brain functions probably should cease, but will they always? I'd bet not.

I would rather concern myself with the question of whether I should pull the trigger. If its time to pull the trigger, then then its time to shoot. All else will fall into place for better or worse.

Very aptly put.

The greater good.

One action....Pull...Fire.

Jizzzle

imported post

which of us have doctorates in physiology? specifically neural physiology? I'd just say it's situational. Are you comfortable taking the shot? No then don't. Yes? then blow his face through the back of his head.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Jizzle wrote:
which of us have doctorates in physiology? specifically neural physiology? I'd just say it's situational. Are you comfortable taking the shot? No then don't. Yes? then blow his face through the back of his head.
And we wonder why some people view us as nuts.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, that struck me as a little excessively violent myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for violence in a "nonfiction" setting, but I would tend to tone it down when discussing real, or potentially real scenarios.

imported post

Jizzle wrote:
lol, i apologise for the harsh language. but, PC language or no,the point remains the same.

Don't appologize.

You called it like you saw it.

I would not have said it exactly that way, but if it works for you, I'm good with it.

darthmord

imported post

He does have a point though. If the situation requires that you shoot the bag guy, you don't want to reach out and coddle him with your firearm. You truly want to make sure he can't do anything again.

It's that whole 'shoot to live' vice 'shoot to wound'. If a bad guy forces me to shoot him/her, I'm not aiming for the knee caps or the elbows.

Walther

imported post

If you are ever in a shooting the PC talk would be to your adavantage.

Like..."I shot to stop the threat" is better for you in court than "I shot to kill the guy".

Same as doing the bobble head dance or the moon walk after shooting someone would not look good in court;)

Still best to let your lawyer do the talking JMHO

Jizzzle

imported post

ya i dunno if you have read the thread about my suit but i have def learned that lesson. I'm not gonna talk or say anything after the shooting.

Walther

imported post

Yes, I have, it looks like they are trying to drag it out as long as possible. Good luck with it and keep us informed.