• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WKLV TV News Video and Keep hitting this poll too!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9439427

"Group argues for plain view carrying of licensed handguns in Texas

190643_G.jpg

The right to openly bear arms - one group says that ifother states allow their citizens to do it, why not Texas? They're getting the word out andhoping to change that soon.AsKLTV 7's Layron Livingston tells us, the fight to legally and publiclycarry your handgun is heating up, and the idea is gaining support in some circles.

Their website now touts a more than 30,000 petition signatures, all in favor of allowing Texans to wear their guns openly.

Organizers of opencarry.org claim a right 'unexercised, is a right lost'. That's why they hope more people will proudly bear their handguns. We caught up with co-founder Mike Stollenwerk by phone.

"Texas is, oddly, very pro-gun on the one hand, but very restrictive on the carry of handguns. The absolute requirement in Texas to conceal at all times, even if you're at someone else's house, is onerous...what we're saying is you should have the right to choose," said Stollenwerk.

Texas is currently one of six states - along with New York, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Florida and South Carolina where handguns can't be worn in plain view. Under state law, residents can apply for a concealed handgun license.

"When we first cast the concealed carry bill here in Texas, people thought the world was going to end...here in Texas, they thought you were going to have shootouts in every city...and of course, this hasn't happened," said Stollenwerk.

State Representative Leo Berman says he doesn't know of any specific bills which have been filed, but he says it's something he would consider.

"In the past, there isn't a gun bill that I haven't supported," said Berman."I believe very strongly in our second amendment rights."

And so does local gun store owner Mack Woods.

"I don't think they necessarily meant they had to be concealed when they said keep and bear arms," said Woods.

Gun owner Marsha Smith disagrees.

"If you haven't gone to the classes and you're not a certified officer, you shouldn't just be walking around with your gun showing," said Smith.

And the battle continues.

Tell us what you think of the concealed carry vs. open carry argument by taking the poll above or on our homepage at kltv.com.

Layron Livingston, reporting. llivingston@kltv.com

falcon1

imported post

Voted. Current results:

"Texas is one of six states in which you can't carry a licensed handgun in plain view. Should Texas stay with its current concealed carry laws, or allow open carrying of licensed handguns?

Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far.
Stay with the current concealed carry law 41%
Change the law to allow carrying in plain view 59%

smash29

imported post

I know the economy is hitting everyone hard but i didn't think someone like Tiger Woods would have to resort to becoming a reporter writing under a nom de plume to make ends meet.

TONYGMANUSA1

imported post

ALLOW OPEN CARRY.

WE ARE REQUIRED TO PAY GOV.STATE AND LOCAL TAXES WHICH PAY FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT. IN OTHER WORDS PROTECTION MONEY JUST LIKE THE MAFIA. HOWEVER YOU CAN NOT SUE CITY, STATE OR GOV. WHEN THEY DO NOT PROTECT YOU. ACCORDING TO LAWS THE GOV STATE AND CITYS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PROTECT ANYONE. BUT ONLY TO CONTROL THE PEOPLE. THE SAYING "PROTECT AND SERVE" IS ONLY MEANT TO DECIEVE THE PUBLIC INTO BELIEVING WE ARE GETTING OUR MONEYS WORTH. ONLY YOU CAN PROTECT YOU. SO AS A LAW ABIDING TEXAN/AMERICAN I SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY OPENLY TO ENABLE MY RIGHT TO PROTECT MYSELF IN A COUNTRY THAT WILL NOT PROTECT ME. WHICH IS OBVIOUS BY OUR OPEN BORDERS AND SANCTUARY CITIES WITHIN OUR STATE.

ALLOW OPEN CARRY.

rodbender

imported post

TONYGMANUSA1 wrote:
ALLOW OPEN CARRY.

WE ARE REQUIRED TO PAY GOV.STATE AND LOCAL TAXES WHICH PAY FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT. IN OTHER WORDS PROTECTION MONEY JUST LIKE THE MAFIA. HOWEVER YOU CAN NOT SUE CITY, STATE OR GOV. WHEN THEY DO NOT PROTECT YOU. ACCORDING TO LAWS THE GOV STATE AND CITYS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PROTECT ANYONE. BUT ONLY TO CONTROL THE PEOPLE. THE SAYING "PROTECT AND SERVE" IS ONLY MEANT TO DECIEVE THE PUBLIC INTO BELIEVING WE ARE GETTING OUR MONEYS WORTH. ONLY YOU CAN PROTECT YOU. SO AS A LAW ABIDING TEXAN/AMERICAN I SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY OPENLY TO ENABLE MY RIGHT TO PROTECT MYSELF IN A COUNTRY THAT WILL NOT PROTECT ME. WHICH IS OBVIOUS BY OUR OPEN BORDERS AND SANCTUARY CITIES WITHIN OUR STATE.

ALLOW OPEN CARRY.
Why are you screaming at us?

Evil Ernie

imported post

smash29 wrote:
I know the economy is hitting everyone hard but i didn't think someone like Tiger Woods would have to resort to becoming a reporter writing under a nom de plume to make ends meet.
LMAO!!!!!! I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!!!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gun owner Marsha Smith disagrees. "If you haven't gone to the classes and you're not a certified officer, you shouldn't just be walking around with your gun showing," said Smith.
If you haven't completed at least a bachelor's degree and haven't specifically studied a certain issue in academia, you shouldn't be walking around voicing your opinion. Oh wait, that would be a constitutional infringement ....

stay with current 25
allow OC 75

roofman02

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am not surprised by this person's opinion, most uninfromed people think the same way. A gun is just another tool, it takes common sense and just a little thought to operate it safely. I was taught firearm safety by my dad and grandfather, Unfortunately other folks have not had the same teaching. Just because you have been thru the classes doesn't mean you're any more qualified to carry a gun, it just means you abided by the state law to do so. The classes do not teach basic firearm safety, it just teaches you where you can and cannot carry you're weapon. Maybe we should make a basic firearm safety course available to these uniformed folks at no charge so they can understand that "guns don't kill people,people kill people" usuallywith any weapon readily available. To these uninformed folks I say get the facts, then speak.

sprat

imported post

hey you got my vote

oh the other states you can't open carry is florida and PRNJ, PRMD

sprat