• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KLTV News story Video - Keep hitting this poll too!

JKTex

Opt-Out Members
imported post

What I don't like about polls set up by the media is the wording they continually screw up.

"Should Texas stay with its current concealed carry laws, or allow open carrying of licensed handguns?"

We're talking about carry, not licensing handguns. I'm sure it's just a bad choice of words, but when I read it, I read the words and have a hard time answering a question I have a problem with worded the way it is.

Zippo

imported post

I tend to agree with you on the wording issue, however, as I understand the proposed law change, it would be open carry for licensed concealed carry individuals. Am I wrong on this, or have I misunderstood it?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Zippo wrote:
I tend to agree with you on the wording issue, however, as I understand the proposed law change, it would be open carry for licensed concealed carry individuals. Am I wrong on this, or have I misunderstood it?

Our proposed pure bill text would make texas like most states - no ban on open carry, and license needed only to conceal.

Interestingly, Texas alrady allows unlicensed CONCELAED carry in your car and to/from.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Zippo wrote:

Our proposed pure bill text would make texas like most states - no ban on open carry, and license needed only to conceal.

Interestingly, Texas alrady allows unlicensed CONCELAED carry in your car and to/from.
Technically, only to, not from, you must beheading directly betweenyour home and car,and there is no mention that the weapon must be concealed while in transit, only while in the car. The spirit is of course exactly as Mike states, but the specific text of the law seems a little hurriedly drafted. Of course, if OC passes, the issue's largely moot.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Liko81 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Zippo wrote:

Technically, only to, not from, you must beheading directly betweenyour home and car,and there is no mention that the weapon must be concealed while in transit, only while in the car. The spirit is of course exactly as Mike states, but the specific text of the law seems a little hurriedly drafted. Of course, if OC passes, the issue's largely moot.
I believe the wording in that statute goes for both ways, in transit. It doesn't specify going from house to car only.

KBCraig

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
Liko81 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Zippo wrote:

I believe the wording in that statute goes for both ways, in transit. It doesn't specify going from house to car only.

Sadly, Liko has it right. It was poorly written, but I suspect it will get cleaned up in January.

Sec.46.02.UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a)A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1)on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2)inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
Liko81 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Zippo wrote:

Sadly, Liko has it right. It was poorly written, but I suspect it will get cleaned up in January.

Sec.46.02.UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a)A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1)on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2)inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
I think what Mike meant was that you can lawfully conceal a Handgun in your car without license.