• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

legality of OC of a long gun?

Granum

imported post

So I was trying to find out the legality of OC of a long gun such as an AR or shot gun. I don't think Id do it in the city, but the question is can i sling it and walk down the street.

(mainly because during the summer I Like to ride my motorcycle and wanted to do more then shoot my Ruger P85 if i ride to a good shooting spot. Ya know if I had to make a stop I don't want to get fined or to cause a big upset and not be in the right)

Keep up the good fight.

Hammer

imported post

Lemme answer this way-
around here we usually refer to OC as "of a loaded weapon"
You may NOT carry a loaded long arm in or on your vehicle in WA
Now, if I interpret your post a bit, you may be asking if you can transport your long arm via M/C. You can, and I do. As I said above, it must be unloaded. Mine is cased when carried on a M/C. Mainly, then there's no telling what might be inside. It might be my muzzlestuffer, or it might be my Mini-14. No one can tell. Ammo goes in my saddlebags.
I s'pose you could OC a long gun walking, but it'd be a mite inconvenient. I believe that's why pistols were invented. :cool:

joeroket

imported post

Granum wrote:
So I was trying to find out the legality of OC of a long gun such as an AR or shot gun. I don't think Id do it in the city, but the question is can i sling it and walk down the street.

(mainly because during the summer I Like to ride my motorcycle and wanted to do more then shoot my Ruger P85 if i ride to a good shooting spot. Ya know if I had to make a stop I don't want to get fined or to cause a big upset and not be in the right)

Keep up the good fight.
Carrying a longarm is exactly what State vs Casad was all about. you should read it. It was unpublished but it does indicate how the appellate level court thinks.

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile;id=9

bluer1

imported post

"Last, there was no visible CLIP in Casad's firearm."

M-A-G-A-Z-I-N-E, say it with me now folks.... Ma...ga....ziiiiiiine

Sean

imported post

I slung my rifle and rode to the range on my motorcycle one day....didnt make it a mile before I had cops from both directions....the bolt was removed and in one saddlebag and the ammo in the other....but they were responding to multiple 911 calls of a Man with a gun.....this was several years ago....maybe things are different now. They let me go....but asked if I would use an enclosed vehicle in the future.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

You're treading on thin ice with 'warrants alarm' deal...

State Vs. Casad has him holding the rifles, covered in a towel, across his arms much like a pile of wood.

You would NOT be carrying like that, I assume, and as such MOST people, myself included, would pay you extra attention.

There was another case, can't remember, where a gentleman was carrying an AK/SKS style weapon, at night, walking his dog.. He WAS convicted....

Granum

imported post

I think I will get/make a soft carrying case with a sling before I do this. I think that would take out public alarm and getting the cops called on me. Where i live most sheeple would think it is a fishing pole and gear.

bcp

imported post

Granum wrote:
...would think it is a fishing pole and gear.

Add some fishing equipment patches, too.

zebco_medallion_125.jpg

joeroket

imported post

I agree, however carrying it slung on your back is completely different than Spencer. In the Spencer case he was walking fast with the rifle at the ready and had a magazine inserted into the action.

Casad would fit the slung on the back with no magazine inserted closer the the Spencer case would.

bordsnbikes

imported post

grishnav wrote:
bluer1 wrote:
"Last, there was no visible CLIP in Casad's firearm."

M-A-G-A-Z-I-N-E,  say it with me now folks.... Ma...ga....ziiiiiiine
It's just slang. Relax. Enjoy the sunshine. Smile. :)

It's actually not slang, it's incorrect terminology. A clip is used to load a magazine or in some cases a rifle, such as an M1 Garand. Since we are talking legality it is very important to get the terms correct because clip instead of magazine would really make a difference in the ruling.

David.Car

imported post

I remember when that photo first came around... Isn't that a member of OCDO? I believe he said he got home fine, but later some police came by because of some calls.

Dave Workman

imported post

Granum wrote:

Keep up the good fight.

This is what State v. Spencer was all about, not necessarily State v. Casad.
The kicker here is that State v. Spencer IS published, while State v. Casad is not (as noted above)

Mr. Spencer had his AK slung over his shoulder. It was loaded. He was walking his dog in Federal Way. The Appeals court says that's a no-no and the State Supes let that one stand.

State v. Casad was not appealed to the Supreme Court, so the Appeals Court ruling in that one stands, as well...though unpublished.

Presumably, you are talking about transporting your long arm UNLOADED to a target range. this would probably be best done in a case, even if you are on a motorcycle, simply to protect your firearm from the elements, including dust and bug guts on a nice day, if you are cruising along on your 2-wheeler.