• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on a motorcycle

Mungo

imported post

I read a post on here about funerals and OC. One of the responses was in reference to some motorcycle gang funerals. This brought up a question.

I'm 42, an IT professional in RTP and a motorcycle enthusiast. I suppose I'm more of the "Wild Hogs" type of motorcyclist rather than the "Wild Ones" type of motorcyclist.

However, with the Hollywood induced perception of motorcyclists, would I just be asking for trouble to OC on a motorcycle?

And - could this be perceived as GATTTOTP?

JBURGII

imported post

I too am of the 'Wild Hogs' genre and I OC while I ride. I haven't had the chance to do this too much because of the change in the weather here in Oregon and though I don't consider myself a fair weather rider, I haven't been riding that much this fall. But the point is, I ride a nice Yamaha V-Star and am fairly clean cut so have had no problems whatsoever.. am looking forward to next summer to domore of this kind of PR work for the cause.

J

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Hah, this is an excellent post!

I've pondered the same thing myself.

I have a Suzuki GSX-R 600 and I still have not OC'ed on it. I can only imagine the reaction from grandma in the next car as I am cruising by on the highway in my full armored leather get-up gear and humoungous crackhead skulls on my helmet and a 9mm sticking out of my hip.

The point you make about hollywood's impact on essentially all types of motorcycle riders is a valid one.

As far as GATTTOTP relates, I suppose in my opinion it would be about as much of an issue as, say for example, a "wigger" who is wearing baggy parachute pants hanging around his ass, a kobe bryant jersey put on backwards, a "platinum" chain that says "$$$" and dreaded hair underneathe a sideways cocked NY Yankees baseball cap, with a 9mm hanging off his hip.

I am CERTAINLY not saying that I perceive my own self this way while riding and dressed in protective motorcycle gear, but I could understand why a sheeple person might perceive it just as frighteningly.

What does everyone else think about this?

FogRider

imported post

I have never had any problems while riding my bike, but I'm not sure I would know unless someone started yelling out of the window at me. Really, most drivers seem to barely notice a bike, a handgun is well below their radar.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

FogRider wrote:
.......Really, most drivers seem to barely notice a bike, a handgun is well below their radar.
I'm not sure what type of bike you have, but while this may be the case for you, it is most certainly not the case for me.

I get TONS of attention on my bike. And even if people don't really care to look at me & my sparkling white and blue Suzuki, they can't really help but to look because my aftermarket exhaust screams so loudly that you can hear me coming from over a mile away. Even on the highway with the windows up and music playing, people in their cars hear me approaching.

Unlike yours, my stealth ability is non-existant. :):):)

FogRider

imported post

I ride a not-bright red Honda Shadow in and around Denver, during rush hour. I would get run out of my lane every other week or so. The only time I ever actually got hit though was the time some idiot decided to make a left turn from the right lane while I was in the left lane. That got a little hairy.

JBURGII

imported post

Ooh.. I just had a thought.. I don't want to be mistaken for one of them 'Sons of Anarchy' guys..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

An open carry member that used to live here in NC took multiple trips to the range on a bike with an AR-15 slung on his back. HE never had any problems, so I doubt a handgun is going to be an issue, lol.