Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: TX TV News 25 story and video on open carry controversey

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    http://www.kxxv.com/Global/story.asp...av=menu509_2_4

    "Open Carry" Campaign Takes Aim at Texas

    Dec 1, 2008 07:38 PM EST


    By Kim Wynne

    KILLEEN - Gun rights supporters are asking state lawmakers to pass an "open carry" law, making it legal for Texans to carry their handguns in plain sight.

    The campaign will go into full force Tuesday, launching billboards, banners, and radio ads throughout the state.

    The controversial campaign hasturned thousands into believers. About 28,000 people have already signed a petition on the campaign's website, opencarry.org, in favor of the legislation.

    "Texas is probably the most pro-gun state, but does not have any open carry laws" said Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of the campaign, in an article to the Star-Telegram.

    "As Texans realize how restrictive their laws are, there will be an awakening," said Stollenwerk.

    The push to pass "open carry" legislation has been met with opposition.

    Groups like Texans for Gun Safety say "open carry" laws would be like a "return to the wild west."

    For the past 15 years, the state has been under a concealed-carry law, making it legal to carry a gun in public as long as it is not in plain view.



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    341

    Post imported post

    While I understand hesitance to appear on camera for such a controversial issue, I wish some pro-OCers had been willing to interview with the station. Because they didn't, the argument appears one-sided. Mr. "Head-on-a-Swivel" could have been rebutted with an explanation of retention holsters, for example.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    716

    Post imported post

    When they say that people refused to speak on camera I have to wonder who they asked. I would hope that any of the organizers of this campaign would be willing to speak to the media.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    16

    Post imported post

    You know. I dont understand being afraid to speak on camera. Why would you support something that your afraid to speak openly about? I hate camera's but I would definately speak up for what I beleive in.

  5. #5
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vernon, Wilbarger county, Texas, USA
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    hmmm, well i concure. Why would you not comment on camera if your for something.

    People never seace to amaze me they are so afraid to stand up for anything without fear of someone thinking something bad about them, "Oh boy if this got out oh so-in-so would think bad about me" WAHHHHHHHHHH stand for something or you will fall for anything. Who wants to be a puppet their whole life?



  6. #6
    Regular Member demnogis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    912

    Post imported post

    One reason I can see for not wanting to be recorded, is you now give the media source the power to change what you have said. If you say "you can view full comments and statements at this web address..." people can find the whole story.

    What is used in the news is just cut together short clips and exerpts. They could literally take 5 seconds out of the 1 minute you used to speak, and that 5 seconds could be the only part of controversy. Without the other 55 seconds, it could throw your whole argument to the wrong bias.
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    demnogis wrote:
    One reason I can see for not wanting to be recorded, is you now give the media source the power to change what you have said. If you say "you can view full comments and statements at this web address..." people can find the whole story.

    What is used in the news is just cut together short clips and exerpts. They could literally take 5 seconds out of the 1 minute you used to speak, and that 5 seconds could be the only part of controversy. Without the other 55 seconds, it could throw your whole argument to the wrong bias.
    Nope - trying is better, and almost always, all publicity is good publicity.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    demnogis wrote:
    One reason I can see for not wanting to be recorded, is you now give the media source the power to change what you have said. If you say "you can view full comments and statements at this web address..." people can find the whole story.

    What is used in the news is just cut together short clips and exerpts. They could literally take 5 seconds out of the 1 minute you used to speak, and that 5 seconds could be the only part of controversy. Without the other 55 seconds, it could throw your whole argument to the wrong bias.
    Nope - trying is better, and almost always, all publicity is good publicity.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Posts
    138

    Post imported post

    HungSquirrel wrote:
    While I understand hesitance to appear on camera for such a controversial issue, I wish some pro-OCers had been willing to interview with the station. Because they didn't, the argument appears one-sided. Mr. "Head-on-a-Swivel" could have been rebutted with an explanation of retention holsters, for example.
    Comments can be posted without having to register. It's not a bad article, it just needs more cowbell... and MORE COMMENTS!!!

    This is agreat opportunity for all of us to argue the issue and rebut everything stupid that was said.

  10. #10
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    I would talk on camera. I'm going to post and ask them to invite me. Probably asked some local yokels that were afraid some of their friends would recognize them.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Grass Roots Gun Rights South Carolina used to maintain a list of 'certified community volunteers' that could be depended upon for interviews and that had practiced the rhetoric and sound bites. I have been on a live call in show twice and that I thought successful.

  12. #12
    Lone Star Veteran Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    712

    Post imported post

    I can't believe no OC supporters wanted to be on camera!

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Ianmtx wrote:
    I can't believe no OC supporters wanted to be on camera!
    In PA and VA is hard to get OCers OFF camera!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    sorry if this posting seems unrefined, i'm more of a hardware guy than a software guy. i'm responding to HUNGSQUIRREL, lloyd 'head on swivel' is a friend of mine, who has had a complete reversal of position since i first took my concealed class with him years ago. back then it was all about pushing for vermont style carry, but i guess it hit him that if that were to happen, he would be out of a very lucrative job teaching cc classes, i can only hope that he will see the light. i signed the petiion at less than 20,000 and to see it having grown at the phenomenal rate we have seen in the last few weeks gives me a bit more hope for the future of my state and this country.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233

    Post imported post

    Still think that we need both-OPEN CARRY and CONCEALED CARRY, this would cover all situations, I think. I'm sure that the Station forgot to ask anyone-afterall 46100 plus have signed the petition so far!

  16. #16
    Regular Member slplatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , , TYLER TX
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    what is the total names do you need i have ben sending out e maills to some 1500.00 people trying to get them to go to the site to sin in how many do you wee need i am catus jach s.a.s.s

  17. #17
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , Texas, USA
    Posts
    161

    Post imported post

    slplatten wrote:
    what is the total names do you need i have ben sending out e maills to some 1500.00 people trying to get them to go to the site to sin in how many do you wee need i am catus jach s.a.s.s
    I believe the goal is to get as many as can be informed

    Thanks for the support!

    What could definitely be used now is getting people to contact their state Senator and Representative to sponsor & support an OC bill. As well as any monetary donations to fund Lone Star Thunder, the advertising campaign across Texas!

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    Cowboy_Rick wrote:
    Still think that we need both-OPEN CARRY and CONCEALED CARRY, this would cover all situations, I think. I'm sure that the Station forgot to ask anyone-afterall 46100 plus have signed the petition so far!
    There's no reason why you can't have both. Here in Tn, we can carry either way with HCP. The thing about having OC legal, if you want to CC you don't have to worry about getting into trouble if you should inadvertedly "flash" or "print"your weapon.

    I added my .02 worth in the comments.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •