• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TX TV News 25 story and video on open carry controversey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.kxxv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9440149&nav=menu509_2_4

"Open Carry" Campaign Takes Aim at Texas

Dec 1, 2008 07:38 PM EST

By Kim Wynne

KILLEEN - Gun rights supporters are asking state lawmakers to pass an "open carry" law, making it legal for Texans to carry their handguns in plain sight.

The campaign will go into full force Tuesday, launching billboards, banners, and radio ads throughout the state.

The controversial campaign hasturned thousands into believers. About 28,000 people have already signed a petition on the campaign's website, opencarry.org, in favor of the legislation.

"Texas is probably the most pro-gun state, but does not have any open carry laws" said Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of the campaign, in an article to the Star-Telegram.

"As Texans realize how restrictive their laws are, there will be an awakening," said Stollenwerk.

The push to pass "open carry" legislation has been met with opposition.

Groups like Texans for Gun Safety say "open carry" laws would be like a "return to the wild west."

For the past 15 years, the state has been under a concealed-carry law, making it legal to carry a gun in public as long as it is not in plain view.

HungSquirrel

imported post

While I understand hesitance to appear on camera for such a controversial issue, I wish some pro-OCers had been willing to interview with the station. Because they didn't, the argument appears one-sided. Mr. "Head-on-a-Swivel" could have been rebutted with an explanation of retention holsters, for example.

Gordie

imported post

When they say that people refused to speak on camera I have to wonder who they asked. I would hope that any of the organizers of this campaign would be willing to speak to the media.

dodge310

imported post

You know. I dont understand being afraid to speak on camera. Why would you support something that your afraid to speak openly about? I hate camera's but I would definately speak up for what I beleive in.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

hmmm, well i concure. Why would you not comment on camera if your for something.

People never seace to amaze me they are so afraid to stand up for anything without fear of someone thinking something bad about them, "Oh boy if this got out oh so-in-so would think bad about me" WAHHHHHHHHHH stand for something or you will fall for anything. Who wants to be a puppet their whole life?

demnogis

imported post

One reason I can see for not wanting to be recorded, is you now give the media source the power to change what you have said. If you say "you can view full comments and statements at this web address..." people can find the whole story.

What is used in the news is just cut together short clips and exerpts. They could literally take 5 seconds out of the 1 minute you used to speak, and that 5 seconds could be the only part of controversy. Without the other 55 seconds, it could throw your whole argument to the wrong bias.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

demnogis wrote:
One reason I can see for not wanting to be recorded, is you now give the media source the power to change what you have said. If you say "you can view full comments and statements at this web address..." people can find the whole story.

What is used in the news is just cut together short clips and exerpts. They could literally take 5 seconds out of the 1 minute you used to speak, and that 5 seconds could be the only part of controversy. Without the other 55 seconds, it could throw your whole argument to the wrong bias.
Nope - trying is better, and almost always, all publicity is good publicity.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

demnogis wrote:

Nope - trying is better, and almost always, all publicity is good publicity.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
While I understand hesitance to appear on camera for such a controversial issue, I wish some pro-OCers had been willing to interview with the station. Because they didn't, the argument appears one-sided. Mr. "Head-on-a-Swivel" could have been rebutted with an explanation of retention holsters, for example.

Comments can be posted without having to register. It's not a bad article, it just needs more cowbell... and MORE COMMENTS!!!

This is agreat opportunity for all of us to argue the issue and rebut everything stupid that was said.

rodbender

imported post

I would talk on camera. I'm going to post and ask them to invite me. Probably asked some local yokels that were afraid some of their friends would recognize them.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I can't believe no OC supporters wanted to be on camera!

Tex

imported post

sorry if this posting seems unrefined, i'm more of a hardware guy than a software guy. i'm responding to HUNGSQUIRREL, lloyd 'head on swivel' is a friend of mine, who has had a complete reversal of position since i first took my concealed class with him years ago. back then it was all about pushing for vermont style carry, but i guess it hit him that if that were to happen, he would be out of a very lucrative job teaching cc classes, i can only hope that he will see the light. i signed the petiion at less than 20,000 and to see it having grown at the phenomenal rate we have seen in the last few weeks gives me a bit more hope for the future of my state and this country.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Still think that we need both-OPEN CARRY and CONCEALED CARRY, this would cover all situations, I think. I'm sure that the Station forgot to ask anyone-afterall 46100 plus have signed the petition so far!

slplatten

imported post

what is the total names do you need i have ben sending out e maills to some 1500.00 people trying to get them to go to the site to sin in how many do you wee need i am catus jach s.a.s.s

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

slplatten wrote:
what is the total names do you need i have ben sending out e maills to some 1500.00 people trying to get them to go to the site to sin in how many do you wee need i am catus jach s.a.s.s

I believe the goal is to get as many as can be informed :)

Thanks for the support!

What could definitely be used now is getting people to contact their state Senator and Representative to sponsor & support an OC bill. As well as any monetary donations to fund Lone Star Thunder, the advertising campaign across Texas!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Cowboy_Rick wrote:
Still think that we need both-OPEN CARRY and CONCEALED CARRY, this would cover all situations, I think. I'm sure that the Station forgot to ask anyone-afterall 46100 plus have signed the petition so far!

There's no reason why you can't have both. Here in Tn, we can carry either way with HCP. The thing about having OC legal, if you want to CC you don't have to worry about getting into trouble if you should inadvertedly "flash" or "print"your weapon.

I added my .02 worth in the comments.