• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Cincinnati. What should I know?

PAB

imported post

I'm visiting Cincy this weekend for a wedding. I've been looking on the board and through the state's laws and everything seems similar to Kentucky's laws in terms of concealed carry.

Is there anything else that I should know? I will be attending the Festival of the Lights at the zoo and didn't see anything on their website about weapons. No restaurants with liquor, right?

I would appreciate any information everyone may be able to provide....

JSK333

imported post

No CC inside gov't buildings, but on gov't property is okay. OC inside gov't buildings is okay unless previously banned by law (such as courthouses and police stations).

However, as there is a blunder in the law concerning what should be on official signs banning guns in those places, many people believe that OC is not allowed in gov't buildings either. Legally, it is, but you may run into resistance with the uneducated.

The Zoo is owned by the city, so CC in their buildings will be off-limits, but the Park itself is fine.

I've generally had no issues with OC in Cincy, ranging from banks to restaurants to stores.

Enjoy your stay! If you want a good breakfast, check out the First Watch downtown on 7th. I've OC'ed in there several times, including in front of LEOs, without any issues.

PAB

imported post

Thanks for the response. I am a bit confused about the Zoo. You said that it's owned by the city thus concealed carry is prohibited, but the park portion is fine? So as long as I'm not entering any buildings on the premises I'm fine or am I reading that incorrectly?

On the restaurant, is this what your referring to: www.firstwatch.com ?

JSK333

imported post

Yes, you got it. Sorry if I confused you with the "property" part. I meant any grounds or premises apart from the buildings. Such as you could CC on the patio of a public library but not enter the building CC. But, strict letter of the law wise, you could OC on both the property and inside the building.

But as I mentioned above, the way the law is written, it suggests saying "No weapons" on signs forbidding CC inside gov't buildings, even though the law itself only forbids CC of weapons inside gov't buildings. The signs make it appear as though all carry (OC) is forbidden, even though the law does not say that.

And yes, that's the restaurant! It gets pretty busy after 11am or so.