Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: nbc 5 news dallas article

  1. #1
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bedford, Texas, USA
    Posts
    834

    Post imported post

    http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Pus...its-Texas.html

    Since 1996, people who want to carry a gun in Texas have had to apply for a license and conceal it in public, but some said the rules are too strict for a state known for its love of arms.

    Now, there is a new push to loosen gun laws in Texas. A group of gun advocates are hoping the next legislature will consider a bill that would allow people to carry guns out in the open.

    Texas is one of just six states requiring people to carry their handguns concealed. The law means people have to be licensed and pass a training course.

    It's something gun advocates like Duane Suddeth don't like.


    "So, for aperson to exercise their right to self-defense, theyneeds to shell out about $225 or more," said Suddeth.

    Suddeth is fighting for an open carry law in Texas; something 44 other states already have.

    It would do away with all the fees and mean you could carry a gun on your hip for all the world to see.

    "Criminals are not going to want to target a person who has the ability to fight back with lethal force," said Suddeth.

    "Ever since this country was founded, the legitimate way to carry was open, so people knew what you were doing was legitimate, you had a gun and you're not trying to hide anything," saidDaniel Vanhoose, employee at DFW Gun Range,

    Most gun owners obviously support the law, but some said they won't benefit much from it.

    "Ithink I would still conceal mine, because I think I would feel more safe," said Crystal Ellenbrook.

    For many, like Louis Alexander,who don't carry guns, there's a concern that an open carry law would mean a return to the wild west.

    "People walking around with guns in the wide open, they're just ready for a challenge.You know? I'm going to get you before you get me," said Alexander.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    "People walking around with guns in the wide open, they're just ready for a challenge.You know? I'm going to get you before you get me," said Alexander.
    Yeah, that's right Alexander! My openly carried gun tells the bad guys that if they want to start something in my presence, I'm fully prepared and equiped to finish it.

    Well punk.........do you feel....lucky?


  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    People watch too much tv and too many movies. The "wild west" was not as wild as people think, at least not as far as firearms are concerned. The really wild part was trying to eek out a living in a harsh environment without modern health care, sanitation or goods distribution networks. We all hear about the gun fighters, Indian fighters, scouts, miners and such because they are exciting, make a good story and did and do sell books. How exciting is a movie showing a husband and wife waking up every morning, feeding livestock, tilling the tough prarie soil, digging wells, raising a sod house, milking cows, etc. Little House on the Prarie is closer to the lives of the average person in the wild west than Tombstone. It was a harsh existence. And even where there were a lot of guns, most gunfights more resembled modern urban gang shootouts than anything from The Quick and the Dead.

    These references to bringing back the wild west remind me of books and journals written by easterners about the wild west rather than those written by those who actually lived in the wild west. It is a perception of a reality that never existed to any great degree or for very long. Invoking it's imagery shows a great ignorance of history.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,128

    Post imported post

    ++1

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    deepdiver wrote:
    People watch too much tv and too many movies. The "wild west" was not as wild as people think, at least not as far as firearms are concerned. The really wild part was trying to eek out a living in a harsh environment without modern health care, sanitation or goods distribution networks. We all hear about the gun fighters, Indian fighters, scouts, miners and such because they are exciting, make a good story and did and do sell books. How exciting is a movie showing a husband and wife waking up every morning, feeding livestock, tilling the tough prarie soil, digging wells, raising a sod house, milking cows, etc. Little House on the Prarie is closer to the lives of the average person in the wild west than Tombstone. It was a harsh existence. And even where there were a lot of guns, most gunfights more resembled modern urban gang shootouts than anything from The Quick and the Dead.

    These references to bringing back the wild west remind me of books and journals written by easterners about the wild west rather than those written by those who actually lived in the wild west. It is a perception of a reality that never existed to any great degree or for very long. Invoking it's imagery shows a great ignorance of history.
    I'm with you 100% deepdiver. It's my belief that some peoples fear of the "old wild west" goes deeper than gunfights in the streets. The spirit of the people in those days is hard to find today. Back then, folks were independant, resourceful, self-reliant, and didn't need guvment to do anything for them but stay the hell out of the way. Much of society has become a pack of whimps that can't seem to do anything for thenselves. I'd love to see that old wild wild west spirit return.

  6. #6
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    deepdiver wrote:
    People watch too much tv and too many movies. The "wild west" was not as wild as people think, at least not as far as firearms are concerned. The really wild part was trying to eek out a living in a harsh environment without modern health care, sanitation or goods distribution networks. We all hear about the gun fighters, Indian fighters, scouts, miners and such because they are exciting, make a good story and did and do sell books. How exciting is a movie showing a husband and wife waking up every morning, feeding livestock, tilling the tough prarie soil, digging wells, raising a sod house, milking cows, etc. Little House on the Prarie is closer to the lives of the average person in the wild west than Tombstone. It was a harsh existence. And even where there were a lot of guns, most gunfights more resembled modern urban gang shootouts than anything from The Quick and the Dead.

    These references to bringing back the wild west remind me of books and journals written by easterners about the wild west rather than those written by those who actually lived in the wild west. It is a perception of a reality that never existed to any great degree or for very long. Invoking it's imagery shows a great ignorance of history.
    I'm with you 100% deepdiver. It's my belief that some peoples fear of the "old wild west" goes deeper than gunfights in the streets. The spirit of the people in those days is hard to find today. Back then, folks were independant, resourceful, self-reliant, and didn't need guvment to do anything for them but stay the hell out of the way. Much of society has become a pack of whimps that can't seem to do anything for thenselves. I'd love to see that old wild wild west spirit return.


    Props to both of you gentlemen.


    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    I'd love to return to the Wild West. There were several orders of magnitude less violence then. Maybe it had something to do with people walking around with guns all over the place with a desire to challenge criminals... An environment like that makes being a bad guy very hard. Duh!

    Not only does it sound right, it has always worked very well in practice too.

    Hehe, remember those Hyundai "Duh!" advertisements on TV about a year ago?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  8. #8
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Post imported post

    ixtow wrote:
    I'd love to return to the Wild West. There were several orders of magnitude less violence then. Maybe it had something to do with people walking around with guns all over the place with a desire to challenge criminals... An environment like that makes being a bad guy very hard. Duh!

    Not only does it sound right, it has always worked very well in practice too.

    Hehe, remember those Hyundai "Duh!" advertisements on TV about a year ago?
    And justice was QUICKLY delivered once the Dirtbag had his day in court and was found guilty!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  9. #9
    Regular Member KansasMustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Herington, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,005

    Post imported post

    Truth is, as many of you know, that the "Wild West" was not really that wild. It was in fact a very polite society. Gun fights in the streets seldom ever happened, and most killings were "dry gulches". I too would prefer a more polite society. And a return to civility where a person can expect to be treated with respect. AND,,also,,the ignorant ones do not realize that one in every four cowboys was black?
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    KansasMustang wrote:
    Truth is, as many of you know, that the "Wild West" was not really that wild. It was in fact a very polite society. Gun fights in the streets seldom ever happened, and most killings were "dry gulches". I too would prefer a more polite society. And a return to civility where a person can expect to be treated with respect. AND,,also,,the ignorant ones do not realize that one in every four cowboys was black?
    Your right. The current generations of today don't have a clue as to the degree of politeness that was practiced in the old days. Men tipped their hats to a woman in passing or took it off completely when conversing with them. They didn'tcome tothe dinner table with their hats on either. Today it seems that meeting someone "hat inhand" has some how become a self-demeaning act.

    Folks greeted each other as "sir" or "Mam/madam", "Mr" or "miss/Mrs" if the name was known. Men opened doors for the ladies and helped them on/off carridges/wagons, gentlemen were the last to be seated for dining after they pulled chairs back for the women folk and got them seated(boy wouldn't that piss off the femi-nazi's today).

    There were a whole bunch of polite and curtious acts that were common in the old "wild wild west" days that are rare to see today. Maybe we OC'ers need to learn about these old acts of etiquette and start practicing them again. Let's show the publicwhat the real "Wild west" was like. It may SHOCK some folks , but.......... anything for the cause, right?

    I'm aware that there were many blacks that cowboyed back then. IIRC, wasn't it a black cowpoke that invented "Steer Wrestling"? Another thing epople don't know is that a cowboys job was dangerous. Scrub cattle (long horns) were notorious for charging, especially when they had calves. Even today a mamma cow will get you if you aren't carefull, and that goes for all breeds.

  11. #11
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , Texas, USA
    Posts
    161

    Post imported post

    Nice read


    As for the wild west, I think if we hear it we should point out the states that, by their thinking, should be personifying the wild wild west with OC now; AZ, VT, VA, UT...etc.




  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    Shorts wrote:
    Nice read


    As for the wild west, I think if we hear it we should point out the states that, by their thinking, should be personifying the wild wild west with OC now; AZ, VT, VA, UT...etc.


    Yes, and that they don't suffer from "shootouts in the streets", however, places like Chicago, urban California, that have some of mosts restrictive gun laws on the books have them nearly on a daily bases.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •