• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

firearm size

ga_repoman

imported post

I am not only new to the area (N.C.) but new to the forum as well .
Prior to living here we (my wife and I) lived in Kommiefornia.
<talk about a non carry state> But befor that we lived in Georgia for several years where I had my ccp and carried mostly everwhere ....

After living in california for sseveral years my permit has expired form georgia and i have just recently gotten my NC DL and have a class on the 6th for my NC pistol permit.

NOW FOR THE QUESTION <that was just a little background>

I have been searching the site and I see a referance to the size of the weapon you can open carry ?...? But i cant find anything on the restriction of the size anywhere ???..>? what is this about??:question::question:

Also being new to the area I was wondering what NC's laws on ASP carry are??

thank you for all your help in advance

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

ga_repoman wrote:
so what are the limitations in chapel hill??

Chapel Hill has a strict ordinance that basically says if you have a gun that is small enough to be easily concealed that you cannot Open Carry it. There is no exact specific list of measurements or barrel length or magazine size that specifically narrow this down. But basically, if your gun is small, don't OC.

Does this mean that I would recommend walking down Franklin St. in Chapel Hill with a big stainless Taurus Raging Bull sticking out of your hip? Certainly not. No point in asking for trouble.

Have a nice day.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

There is a specific ordinance on carrying in Chapel Hill.

They list that you can not OC any weapon shorter then 6''. It does not list how that 6'' is measured though.

I read the statute, but do not remember where. I can see if I can find it though.

You can OC any size firearm though in any other locality.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

Sec. 11-134. Prohibition on display of small handguns.

(a)No person shall display, on any street, sidewalk, alley or other public property any handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed.

(b)For purposes of this article, the term "handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed" shall mean any handgun or other firearm with an overall length of less than six (6) inches; provided, however, that in the case of a handgun or firearm that does not have a handgrip, this term shall mean any such handgun or firearm with an overall length of less than eight (8) inches.

(c)For purposes of this article, the length of a handgun shall be determined as follows:
(1)As the length of a line drawn from the tip of the barrel of the handgun along the length of the barrel to the point where that line intersects with a perpendicular line drawn up from the point on the back of the handgrip farthest from the tip of the barrel; or,
(2)If the length of the handgun measured along the barrel extends back beyond the point where the lines described in (c)(1) above intersect, the length shall be determined by the length of the gun measured straight back from the tip of the barrel for the full length of the gun; or
(3)If the handgun does not have a handgrip, the length shall be determined by measuring the overall length of the weapon by a straight line connecting the tip of the barrel to the point farthest away from the tip of the barrel.

(d)This section shall not apply to persons authorized by state or federal law to carry firearms in the performance of their duties. (Ord. No. 93-11-22/O-1, § 1)

Good find. Thanks, though C.1 would apply to most weapons, which would limit to full size pistols.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

from my understanding, OC is perfectly legal.

You are not allowed to conceal. It was a long time ago that I read the regulations regarding these, so they may have changed, and my memory could be off.

acritical

imported post

I noticed a couple of places across the state that offer ASP instruction, so it seems to me that at least in those areas, some form of carry is legal. I would possibly try to hunt down one of the certified instructors and ask them. I would think that they are required to have this information.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I don't remember ever reading a restriction on asps or batons, all though I've never been specifically looking for one, either. Check out http://www.municode.com and see if you can find anything for your area.

On the top of carrying an asp, be careful. It is VERY easy to kill or permanently injure someone with little effort when using one, especially if you aren't trained. I'd rather be shot with a taser than hit with one of those.