• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone change their habits since the attacks in India?

HardChrome

imported post

I now carry my Hi-Power more rather than my revolver and carry two spare mags for a total of 39 rounds. I'm just waiting for the day when we experience something similar to what just happened and I don't think 5 rounds would be much of a match for anything like that.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

HardChrome wrote:
I now carry my Hi-Power more rather than my revolver and carry two spare mags for a total of 39 rounds. I'm just waiting for the day when we experience something similar to what just happened and I don't think 5 rounds would be much of a match for anything like that.
No.

I always carry 2 trauma kits:

1 to cause trauma and 1 to relieve it.

That will never change.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As I have thought about this question I realized I want to make more of a response.

The point of terrorists is to cause terror. To cause other people to change. To live their lives differently in response to the terrorist acts. I carry for protection against the run of the mill BG I think it most likely to run into. I generally carry an extra mag primarily in case of mag failure rather than because I think I will need more ammo. When I go places that I know are dangerous (getting to my wife's grandmother's requires traveling through a rather unsavory area with a very high crime rate for example) I may carry 2 extra mags just in case as gunfights do happen in those areas. If I travel far from home, I generally take a second sidearm cased and locked in the trunk in case something would happen where my primary sidearm would be seized by LEO, say if I actually had to use it and they seize it for evidence. That way I will not be disarmed for the remainder of my trip. To me, these are just matters of prudence to protect myself and my wife.

But change my daily behavior because of a terrorist? How much would I be willing to change? Will I carry 2, 3, 5 extra mags in case I end up facing terrorists with automatic weapons? How about a ballistic vest? With or without additional ceramic plates? Do I install ballistic weave on the walls of my house in case someone sets off a bomb nearby? Maybe carry an AR and 7-10 extra loaded mags in my car in case I need to fight back there and take up a defensive position against a group of terrorists? Should I have my vehicles bullet/blast proofed to the level I can afford? If I can't afford it should I go into debt to do so anyway just in case?

No. I will not submit. I will not live in fear of terrorists be they foreigners, domestic or run of the mill gang bangers. If circumstances change substantially I will re-evaluate my load out, but as it is now, I will not let these murderers change my life.

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

i have changed.

i now carry my underfolder akm in a backpack with 3 sets of clipped together back to back 30rnd magazines.

nah im joking but i would seriously consider doing that :uhoh:

HardChrome

imported post

I don't consider myself paranoid but whenever something happens locally or nationally like this it makes me do a reassessment of my carrying habits. Sometimes I get lazy when it seems that life is all well and I'll occasionally catch myself not bringing a weapon along for a short errand.

The last time that happened I got in the middle of an "armed" daytime robbery. It turned out that there was no weapon after all but I stood by unarmed, talking to the dispatcher, watching two employees struggle with this guy in the parking lot.

So happenings like this always offer me a wake up call.

protector84

imported post

I don't think people should run scared but I do believe in being prepared. I've always carried two magazines with my pistol. The loaded magazine contains hollow point ammo while the backup magazine in my pocket contains full metal jackets. Hopefully the chances of ever having to shoot someone at all in public are slim but in the event this happened the overwhelming majority of defensive situations would be stopped in just a few rounds fired. The two magazines hold a total of30 rounds so in an unusual situation that should be enough to hold the bad guys off long enough to escape to my home where the real guns are.

Huck

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
No, I haven't changed anything. I'm still working on building up my ammo inventory in preparation for any SHTF event.

Same here. Personally, I'm more concerned about the danger to the USA that's going to be inaugurated on 20 January, 2009than I am about any terrorist attack.

III

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I see no reason to change what I do because of something that happened in India.

Now, had this happened in a place that I frequent I might go buy some gas masks and body armor. . . And actually build the AR lower I have into something.

JBURGII

imported post

I have kept as alert as ever. I might tweak my supplies and thinking just a tad but as previously pointed out, the whole point of terrorism isto cause terror. What I don't think they realize is there is a core group of patriots in this country who are NOT sheep and are well armed and very aware of events and surroundings.

In the mean time, I plan on enjoying life. :cool:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well I still have NO plans to go to India.

So I guess I haven't changed anything either. But really once you are already armed and alert when out and about, what would you have to change?

Regards

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Well I still have NO plans to go to India.

So I guess I haven't changed anything either. But really once you are already armed and alert when out and about, what would you have to change?

Regards

I have no plans to go anywhere outside the US. We live in the most well armed country in the world, and I intend to fight to keep it that way.

When a society is prepared for the worst, it is not easily terrorized.

KBCraig

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The point of terrorists is to cause terror. To cause other people to change. To live their lives differently in response to the terrorist acts.
This is a convenient launching point, so I have to point out our nation's current response to terrorism: "They hate us because we're free! And we're going to fix that!"

Umm, okay. Our foreign policy is obviously not designed to help make "them" love us, what with us invading and bombing their countries and interfering in their internal affairs. So if we can't fix their hatred, that must mean we're going to "fix" our freedom.

1. Patriot Act
2. Homeland security
3. TSA
4. RealID
5. NAIS
6. Continuing the obliteration of the 4th and 5th Amendments, by using the tools of the War On Some Drugs against anyone who looks suspicious.

Feel free to add to the list.

Oh, and no, I haven't changed my daily habits because of Mumbai. I do value my Enfields, though, and I'm thankful that I have more Mk.VII on hand than apparently all of the Mumbai police force.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree KBCraig and I have said numerous times that the terrorists have already won to a great degree. Our gov't's response of limiting the freedoms of Americans was a capitulation and a partial surrender to the whims of our enemies.

AbNo

imported post

Huck wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
No, I haven't changed anything. I'm still working on building up my ammo inventory in preparation for any SHTF event.

Same here. Personally, I'm more concerned about the danger to the USA that's going to be inaugurated on 20 January, 2009than I am about any terrorist attack.

III
Can you honestly tell a difference between those two events?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Nope haven't changed my carry habits. I figure the active shooters scenario is a worst case scenario and it would be smart to retreat from that kind of threat armed or not. That said I can conceive of having a powerful need for my G23 and 2 spare magazines to get shoot my way through a gunman to get out. That is my daily carry not including some kind of back up piece, which may be used to arm the unarmed. I have fortunately never needed any of it and consider myself over prepared hardware wise for a self defense situation that I am likely to encounter. However, too many gun owners don't even come close to having the gun handling skills that it would take to fight an AK armed man much less a knife armed one but that is a different subject. Basically almost all of us need to prep more in many ways but for the 'mundane' self defense situation that is a more realistic probability.

Now some words from someone who has better ideas than me.

[font="Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"][font="Comic Sans MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif"]PREPARING FOR MUMBAI - IN AMERICA[/font][/font]
[font="Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"] There has been a great deal of discussion about what to carry for an event like Mumbai. Gents, let's think about this.If you happen to be caught up in this at its conclusion, facing a dozen riflemen working together as a unit, and you with your Kel-Tec, what do you think your realistic chances of success are? Being real is not being defeatist, but come on.

Now, at the outset of the event, where there may be only one or two adversaries, it gets a little better in terms of odds. But only a little. You have one advantage and that is the advantage of surprise and one target. They, on the other hand have many avenues of danger to cover, only one which is yours. This will be a rapidly moving fluid situation.

One man was saying that using a cell phone to photograph the bad guys would be good. Pictures of the bad guys on your cell phone? Come on....seriously? If you have the ability to take their picture, you also have the ability to take their life, or GTFOT (get the f*** out of there) so get out of the evidence collecting mindset.

Number two, some guys were discussing carrying a special bag with them with all manner of weapons and gear to facilitate such a fight. Keeping a Bug Out Bag in the office or in the car is a wise move, but I doubt many of us are going to walk around fully kitted out all the time, so I think this will be limited to what you have on your person.Know what....you'll carry your tango bag everywhere until you get sick of it and leave it in the car one day and then, that will be the day and you will fight with what you have on your person anyway.

Those of you with little bitty guns (snubbies and Glock 27s and such), I suggest you rethink your weapon choices. I can run a mini-Glock pretty good, but not as good as a full sized gun. What do I carry? A Glock 22 when at home and a Glock 17 when away. 15 rounds or 17 rounds respectively.

Yes, the bigger gun is harder to hide. Yes, I have to choose my clothing more carefully. Yes, its heavier. All of those things they tell you are true. But when you NEED THE MOTHER F'ING GUN NOW, those uber-comfortable pocket chain guns so popular with the CCW crowd will never allow you to fight as well as a full-sized gun.

Calibers - Please! I will take a 40 or a 9mm over a 45 any day of the week for the simple fact of the matter that I can fight much longer with one than I can with a seven or eight shot weapon. It may have been a caliber edge in 1976 when the only thing going was marginal hollow point ammo, but not today bwana. Ask any of those metro-sexual gun instructors if they want to get shot in the face with my "45 set on stun".
Magazine capacity is not an asset, it is a blessing.

Engagement Dynamics -Short range, run and gun, point shooting is an essential skill and must be prioritized for the urban ambush gunfight. However,for anti-terrorist activity, if you find yourself just outside or arm's length with a doped up, combat-trained AK-armed tango, you have alreadystepped into it. You can still fight, but wouldn't it be far better to be able to ice these monkeys from 25, 50 or even 100 yards?

Read the reports boys. There are folks who had an eye on the action from a distance. "If only I had a gun" was one of the Brit reporters said. The ability to hit out at these distances is not hard at all. But it must be learned and trained.And, your gear must support your ability to do it.

Those uber-court-proof heavy triggers promoted as essential by the lawyer-instructors are trash.Get rid of them. You don't need a hair trigger on your pistol, but you do need a manageable trigger.My Glocks for example all use the standard 5# connector set up and give me a crisp release that is conducive to accuracy. You don't need the 3# target connector, but good heavens don't add one of the abominable New York triggers.

Those big fat close range sights? If you can hit at 100 yards with them, drive on. I cannot, so I use sharply defined black iron sights like the Heines, and the Trijicons. Those of you with eye issues that can't use the irons well enough, invest in one of the Docter red dot sights. Yep....a red dot sight on your pistol. It is small enough to carry around and bright enough that even Mr. Magoo can hit at 100 meters with it.

Another thing - Usually after one of those events I will hear "By golly if I had been there I would have pulled out my custom model 29 and..." That is usually spoken by a guy who hasn't done any physical training since high school, would have a heart attack if he had to run ten feet to cover, and is so out of condition he could not fight his way out of a Sierra Club Tea Party In San Francisco. I'm not trying to offend anyone here but its not just about marksmanship and your ammo choices. If you are already a good shot, you need to get away from the range and into the gym or the street and train your out of shape shooter's body so you will be able to fight not just shoot.

And finally, without which all else is wasted, develop the will to kill. It is hard for some to sneak up on a man and shoot him in the back of the head unannounced, regardless of what the man has done, or is about to do. You need to get over that if you want to be a player at this level. it is not about capturing, or about bringing to justice, or about "stopping the action". it is about getting the drop on a terrorist from a distance, unseen and undetected, putting your sights on his ear, controlling your heartbeat, and then pressing that trigger without a moment's hesitation.
Gabe Suarez[/font]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/E2NhH-oqOjI&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]