• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone change their habits since the attacks in India?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Longwatch-

Good post. I have always been of the school of thought that says you should be fighting your way out of such situations. In my view survival becomes paramount and all other bets are off. I will not be returning fire with a cell phone camera under ANY conditions.

I don't know what your post means where it takes us to task for being out of shape.

I for one have become resigned to the fact that ROUND is a shape.:what:

Regards

protector84

imported post

We have to realize that carrying a gun obviously doesn't make you Superman. In the overwhelming majority of defensive situations a gun will help out but nothing is 100% guaranteed. As someone else mentioned, if the fight is between you with a pistol and 10-15 men armed with fully automatic rifles acting in a group, you've got a problem. Likewise, carrying a gun to work may save you in case of someone going postal but it won't help if someone runs a truck full of dynamite through the front doors. Guns make you safer but nothing will ever make anyone 100% safe 100% of the time. Life has its risks and to some degree we have to learn tolive prepared but live without fear.

bordsnbikes

imported post

HardChrome wrote:
I don't consider myself paranoid but whenever something happens locally or nationally like this it makes me do a reassessment of my carrying habits. Sometimes I get lazy when it seems that life is all well and I'll occasionally catch myself not bringing a weapon along for a short errand.

The last time that happened I got in the middle of an "armed" daytime robbery. It turned out that there was no weapon after all but I stood by unarmed, talking to the dispatcher, watching two employees struggle with this guy in the parking lot.

So happenings like this always offer me a wake up call.

This is a very good point that that needs further discussion. Threats are ever changing. If we are not constantly reassessing and, if need be, changing then we have become complacent. Complacency kills. That is an absolute fact. I have seen it first hand time and time again. From people falling asleep on guard duty to not realizing they don't have a round in the chamber all the way to forgetting their gun at a friends house. I have been complacent in the past also. It is very hard not to when nothing of significance has happened. So if your habits have not changed since then, then there is a very good chance you have become complacent. If you didn't re-evaluate your habits then you ARE complacent and need to snap out of it.

I have seen thoughts on here that say I'm not going to India so it doesn't matter and I am already armed so why do I need to change. You are complacent. Please, re-think that frame of mind in your quest for personal security because right now, you are failing.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
HardChrome wrote:
I don't consider myself paranoid but whenever something happens locally or nationally like this it makes me do a reassessment of my carrying habits. Sometimes I get lazy when it seems that life is all well and I'll occasionally catch myself not bringing a weapon along for a short errand.

The last time that happened I got in the middle of an "armed" daytime robbery. It turned out that there was no weapon after all but I stood by unarmed, talking to the dispatcher, watching two employees struggle with this guy in the parking lot.

So happenings like this always offer me a wake up call.

This is a very good point that that needs further discussion. Threats are ever changing. If we are not constantly reassessing and, if need be, changing then we have become complacent. Complacency kills. That is an absolute fact. I have seen it first hand time and time again. From people falling asleep on guard duty to not realizing they don't have a round in the chamber all the way to forgetting their gun at a friends house. I have been complacent in the past also. It is very hard not to when nothing of significance has happened. So if your habits have not changed since then, then there is a very good chance you have become complacent. If you didn't re-evaluate your habits then you ARE complacent and need to snap out of it.

I have seen thoughts on here that say I'm not going to India so it doesn't matter and I am already armed so why do I need to change. You are complacent. Please, re-think that frame of mind in your quest for personal security because right now, you are failing.
I don't think that is necessarily true although it may be a matter of semantics. Certainly when I read of an event that is possible in my world and would be a threat to myself and loved ones if it did occur, I do re-evaluate to the extent of thinking about what I might or should do differently. Usually, my answer is that the risk is such that I am not prepared to further fundamentally change the way I live and let the bastages win.

So yes, I am already armed. I am not willing to start carrying a bunch more extra mags "just in case"; unless a threat becomes much more imminent I am not carrying a rifle and/or shotgun and extra ammo in my trunk. I also have no plans to purchase or wear body armor or tacticool gear. I continue to seek out training as time and finances allow and am especially looking forward to the tactical handgun class in the early spring.

So where is the failure? What should I be doing differently? Should I carry at least 4 extra mags, keep a scoped AR with a least 7 mags, a scoped .308 and a shotty with an extra box of shells in my trunk along with body armor, helmet, electronic muffs, cargo pants, combat boots, a medic kit, flares, duct tape, walkie-talkies, an emergency frequency scanner, handcuffs, collapsible baton, pepper spray, MREs, a few gallons of water, a water purifier, and a change of clothes in my trunk? And if I did, where the heck would I put my groceries??

Should I stay in condition orange instead of yellow? Or how about just staying at red? Granted, research shows that such people die early of stress illnesses such as heart attacks, but hey, until I die early I'll be safe and won't be failing in my personal defense.

Or maybe I should put sandbags around my house, set up a perimeter, dig some foxholes, set up dog runs along the fence line, put in motion sensors, video surveillance, audio survellience, gates, fences and warning signs all around my home.

Yeah, I think I am just going to remain at condition yellow, continue my shooting practice and training when I'm able, carry my sidearm and an extra mag and leave open the possiblity that there may some day be an imminent or viable threat such that the above ideas don't sound paranoid or extreme. But that day is not today.

bordsnbikes

imported post

Deepdiver, You just said that you re-evaluated yourself. So your doing fine.

Being prepared doesn't always mean having everything you listed. You don't necessarily need to be prepared to attack, in which case you would like to have those things. You should be prepared to get you and your family out of the situation if at all possible, and keep them alive.

How about your firearm of choice, likely a handgun, locked and loaded with an extra mag, maybe two if you have something with a low round count like a Glock 36. A first aid kit with stuff to stop bleeding, a tourniquet, some quikclot, maybe open an airway, or decompress a collapsed lung. A CPR mask wouldn't be a bad idea either. A flashlight because those are always handy. I think that is a very reasonable selection of things to have. I can't tell anyone how they need to be prepared, but to sit by and not say that you need to re-evaluate yourself because your complacent would be wrong. Now is not the time to ruin your life being "over" prepared though. That day may come though.

As far as distance to the threat goes. 9-11 was on our soil. India wasn't, but what about the next one? A gun wouldn't have done a bit of good during 9-11, but your flashlight and first aid kit could. The next incident may be on American soil and your gun might be the ticket.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Deepdiver, You just said that you re-evaluated yourself. So your doing fine.

Being prepared doesn't always mean having everything you listed. You don't necessarily need to be prepared to attack, in which case you would like to have those things. You should be prepared to get you and your family out of the situation if at all possible, and keep them alive.

How about your firearm of choice, likely a handgun, locked and loaded with an extra mag, maybe two if you have something with a low round count like a Glock 36. A first aid kit with stuff to stop bleeding, a tourniquet, some quikclot, maybe open an airway, or decompress a collapsed lung. A CPR mask wouldn't be a bad idea either. A flashlight because those are always handy. I think that is a very reasonable selection of things to have. I can't tell anyone how they need to be prepared, but to sit by and not say that you need to re-evaluate yourself because your complacent would be wrong. Now is not the time to ruin your life being "over" prepared though. That day may come though.

As far as distance to the threat goes. 9-11 was on our soil. India wasn't, but what about the next one? A gun wouldn't have done a bit of good during 9-11, but your flashlight and first aid kit could. The next incident may be on American soil and your gun might be the ticket.
I understand your point and it was a matter of semantics or perhaps of degree, as to what "re-evaluate" entails. I think it is generally just a matter of considering the possibilities and thinking about whether or not you are as prepared as you could be or, as I said above, willing to be. I thought that perhaps you intended in a more complex, involved sense hence my comments.

I think that the vast majority of people on OCDO and most firearm forums take these matters seriously and evaluate/re-evaluate on a regular basis even if the recent attack in India didn't spur them to do so.

HardChrome

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I understand your point and it was a matter of semantics or perhaps of degree, as to what "re-evaluate" entails. I think it is generally just a matter of considering the possibilities and thinking about whether or not you are as prepared as you could be or, as I said above, willing to be. I thought that perhaps you intended in a more complex, involved sense hence my comments.

I think that the vast majority of people on OCDO and most firearm forums take these matters seriously and evaluate/re-evaluate on a regular basis even if the recent attack in India didn't spur them to do so.
I started this thread so I'll chime in here after a number of different responses. I am guilty of being complacent from time to time. I have been carrying for over 25 years so I am bound to get set in my ways and routines. Every now and then something happens to make me reevaluate my habits and this was one of them, mainly because so many public places were hit all at once. It made me realize that one of my local malls could be an easy target or some other place where I may happen to be and carrying my 5-shot may not be enough to even consider engaging if I were in a position to do so.

For that reason I have been carrying my Hi-Power more and sometimes even an extra magazine. I'm not anywhere near being paranoid but as some have suggested here, I've just done a reevaluation of my habits and my routines. Good conversation here.

LcCPL fatherdeath

imported post

changed my habits na but I did add to them after my xmas instead of carrying my 10rd kali clips for my beretta i upgraded to 12 rds and put my 2 new 20rd in my glove box

bourneshooter

imported post

If anyone doubts that this could happen in America, look to our border with Mexico. Wide open and the .gov is doing nothing to close it. The few BP officers who try to do what their job is get sent to prison - Ramos and Compeonos. (Continued prayers for them and their families.)

Its been released several times by various media sources - not the Liberal ones: MSNBC, CNN, FOX, Etc. - that muslim terrorists have been caught crossing the border. A few times RPG's, AK-47's, etc have been found as well. Couple that with Beslan and this report that Glenn Beck did... You will be carrying extra ammo, and be in condition yellow at the very least.

The Perfect Day
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TO4cgBdJ2g

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/updates/2007/09/12/glenn-beck-the-perfect-day-are-terrorists-planning-an-american-beslan/

BESLAN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4YKxBFUlMI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_hostage_crisis

Pictures from Mumbai: http://www.suarezinternational.com/mumbai1.ppt

*edited to add the Pictures from Mumbai*

neddis

imported post

Ok, so I have never heard of "The Perfect Day". Thanks for scaring the piss out of me.

So that gave me a lot to think about as far as re-evaluating my preparedness. Could be Interesting... I spend a lot of time at a school.

Thanks for the info. Lots to think about.

shad0wfax

imported post

I carry a .45 ACP with 12+1 and an additional 3 spare 12-round magazines.

If I seriously have to stop 49 different threats and I'm all alone I probably won't be able to stop 49 threats.

I carry more than I probably need to carry, but it can't hurt. Be prepared.

bordsnbikes

imported post

For the people who didn't change, did you look at what you were doing and ask yourself if there is something more you could be doing? Or did you just think that because you have a gun your doing fine?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Well... I really had no plans to visit India... butI haven't changed a thing. WhereI live...I don't have to. That's somethin' you townies can concern yourselves with. I'll watch it go down on the tube.

sipowicz

imported post

There's no reason to change, The chances of a group of terrorists coming into my area is non-existant.

TatankaGap

imported post

I've been carrying every day since last October - not so much because of Mumbai but because of the underlying threat represented by acts like those at Mumbai -

Since I do travel alot, I have to spend much time in local law compliance in states that don't recognize my CC permits - relying on locked bags and locked cases and the federal law re: travel.

Every state I go to, even if they don't respect my CC permit, has a law allowing you to carry if you perceive an immediate threat to your safety.

If I am ever there when some Mumbai event hits, if I'm OC or CC, I'll take appropriate action and if I'm in a non-carry state, I'll invoke my self-defense rights and OC or CC to protect my life. If that happens, no one is going to be around giving out tickets for carrying -

There is a reason the 2A protects, as interpreted by Supremes in Heller, our inalienable right to self-defense and SCOTUS recognized that as able bodied males, we are part of the citizens militia automatically which means if a Mumbai situation hits, we are automatically there to respond.

So, I've changed to the extent that not a day goes by where I am not in easy reach of my weapon of choice.

And, my wife had a dream (before Mumbai) that we were in a city at an Art Show downtown Seattle when terrorists came and took over the office we were in, took us hostage, we escaped down an alley from a back door, one of the terrorists came running after us - then she woke up. I told her not to worry, if she hadn't woken up, I would have capped the bugger (because I'm always near my pistol) -

Since that dream of hers, I've never had any arguments (with her) about carrying and she has gotten pretty good with my .357 J frame - :)

bordsnbikes

imported post

"If I am ever there when some Mumbai event hits, if I'm OC or CC, I'll take appropriate action and if I'm in a non-carry state, I'll invoke my self-defense rights and OC or CC to protect my life. If that happens, no one is going to be around giving out tickets for carrying"

Very well observed. If your doing the wrong thing by carrying, and save your life and others lifes, they aren't gonnna hang you for it. I would say it could even take us a step towards more people thinking carrying guns are a good idea. If the cards are played right.

Look into getting multiple carry permits. Florida covers a lot of states, same with Utah. If you get those two it will cover a lot of the states. I think there's a third one to get that if you get it also will cover like 46 states or something like that.

TatankaGap

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
"Look into getting multiple carry permits. Florida covers a lot of states, same with Utah. If you get those two it will cover a lot of the states. I think there's a third one to get that if you get it also will cover like 46 states or something like that.
Thanks, I do have multiple permits; there are some states where your permits don't count, as I'm sure you know - but where you are allowed to be in possession of an unloaded, firearm in a locked compartment; just as when you travel to the range, etc. - if major Mumbai style BGs get going, then you have a full self-defense right to unlock, load and figure out your best steps to safety -

I was not suggesting that I would illegally carry; rather that I would be carrying legally precisely because of the exigent circumstances -

PS - ever been to the Tatanka Cafe in Tacoma?