• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Texas News 33 Video Report on Texas Open Carry Movement - plus a poll to hit!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Poll at http://www.the33tv.com/pages/content_landing_page/?WEB-POLL=1&blockID=149621&feedID=460

--

http://www.the33tv.com/pages/content_landing_page/?Group-Pushes-for-New-Texas-Gun-Law=1&blockID=149712&feedID=460

Group Pushes for New Texas Gun Law

s85209225374081
See video

Norris Deajon

December 2, 2008

It wasn't unusual to carry a gun by your side in the wild west. In spite of its western heritage, Texas is one of only six states where the law forbids openly carrying handguns. Some people are working to change that. This week the group OpenCarry.Org is launching a media campaign including billboard and radio ads. The ads say, " We believe that law-abiding Texans should be free to exercise their right. Sign the online petition at Opencarry.org."

So far about 34,000 people have signed the petition asking Governor Perry and the state legislature to start allowing people with pistols to carry them outside their clothes. It's a new law Jeanie Almond would support. Almond trains people to shoot guns at Elm Fork Gun Sports in Dallas. She believes open carrying would be a powerful deterrent to crime, especially for women. Almond said, " If a would be assailant is coming close and he can see that that lady is carrying, first of all he knows that she knows how to use it." Almond also says she would feel safer if she knew that someone was carrying a gun near her.

On the streets of Downtown Dallas today, other Texans weighed in on the open carry question. Ernie Dore said it would be okay with him if the armed person had been licensed to carry. Dore said, "I don't think there should be a major problem if they really do follow up and make sure the right people are carrying weapons." Cherie Little said, " I think it would be more troublesome if they're walking around with it on their hip. Someone could run up and take it from them."

State Representative Lon Burnam of Fort Worth believe the increased presence of guns would lead to more violence, including more children being shot. Burnam said, " We have more guns and more gun deaths than any other industrialized country in the world and there's a direct relationship." Burnam says he would oppose open carry in Texas. However, he says many other Texas lawmakers are afraid to take on the powerful gun lobby. Burnam wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing Texans with sidearms.

BenjaminHare

imported post

This is absolutely amazing. Over the past six months I've been overwhelmed by the negative views of OC in my own life. To see even slightly positive attention being given to the OC cause is extremely empowering. I am glad that this issue is getting so much press. I hope a bill makes it's way into the Texas legislature.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

BenjaminHare wrote:
This is absolutely amazing.  Over the past six months I've been overwhelmed by the negative views of OC in my own life.  To see even slightly positive attention being given to the OC cause is extremely empowering.  I am glad that this issue is getting so much press.  I hope a bill makes it's way into the Texas legislature.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

72 YES, 28 NO now.