Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories....1d8784b2.html

Group pushes Texas lawmakers for open-carry gun law

06:25 PM CST on Monday, December 1, 2008

By JESSICA VESS
    KVUE News

Open-carry gun law?
    KVUE's Jessica Vess reports December 1st, 2008 > More Local Video View larger E-mail clip More video Search Video:
    > > > You may be used to guns on the range, but are you ready for guns on the hip? According to online at opencarry.org , nearly 33,000 Texans have said "yes."

"It's called a Constitutional right -- not a privilege,” said Ian McCarthy, founder of the Texas open carry petition.

Each computerized signature on the petition is a sign of support for an open carry handgun policy in the state in which gun owners would be allowed to carry their weapons in plain sight. The petition is non-binding, and right now it has no sponsor in the Legislature.

"We shouldn't have to ask the state for permission to exercise that right," said McCarthy.

"I whole-heartedly support it; there's absolutely nothing wrong with that," said Lawrence Taylor, supporter of an open carry handgun law.

Despite public support, any change in gun laws will be up to the Texas Legislature. State lawmakers are not in session right now; however, representatives with opencarry.org say they have spoken with some who say they will push the green button -- voting yes.

Governor Rick Perry says he supports an open carry policy, but some law enforcement officials don't agree.

"It's extremely dangerous for the officers, it's dangerous for the citizens," said President of the Austin Police Association Lt. George Vanderhule.

On Tuesday, opencarry.org will launch a series of radio commercial ads dubbed Operation Lone Star Thunder.

“We believe that law abiding Texans should be free to exercise their rights,” said the commercial.

Opencarry.org hopes the message will change the minds of opponents. Advertisements will also hit the road. Austin Cab Company will have about a dozen taxis with posters supporting the policy change.

Texas is just one of six states that do not have an open carry gun law at all. Most other states have an open-carry law. Some of the states don’t even require gun owners to get a license.

"I don't like it because I don't like guns at all, I think they're dangerous," said Esther Vanhout, opponent.

According to the FBI violent crimes across the nation, including states with open carry laws has gone down over the past year, but those who oppose open-carry fear the law increases accidental shootings. Statistics for those shootings are not available.

For now, a formal open carry bill is not posted to go before the Legislature in its next session, but sources say there is a bill being drafted that should be ready by January.

Post imported post

I wish I could tell everyone in Texas that I open carry regularly in Virginia. I'm a Texan, and when my enlistment in the US Navy is up, I'll be coming home. I'm ashamed that my gun rights will be more restricted in Texas.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Good you are going home but too bad your rights will be so restricted.

Post imported post

Well, Squid you may not be able to tell everyone, but you can get the ball rolling by e-mailing everyone you know in Texas, and have them forward to everyone they know etc. I don't e-mail that often, but I use my store as an information central on Open Carry, and tell everyone that will listen. I have gotten about seventy people to sign on from here and will continue until this passes. We all just have to do a little, and this Will pass!

Post imported post

When a LEO or, for that matter, any anti-gun person says something like, "Open carry is going to make things more dangerous for officers and citizens", why have I not heard a reporter yet ask the obvious followup question? "Is that the experience of the police and citizens in other states that do not restrict open carry?"

It's ok to be "fair and balanced", but when interviewing people having opposing viewpoints, isn't it one of a journalist's core duties to ask obvious questions which challenge the fundamental rationalityof a viewpoint? And that goes for all sides, pro or anti-gun.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Jessica Vess wrote:
    Texas is just one of six states that do not have an open carry gun law at all. Most other states have an open-carry law.
    No, most states do NOT have open-carry laws which is exactly why we can open carry in most states. Laws do not grant rights; they only prohibit conduct.

Post imported post

"I don't like it because I don't like guns at all, I think they're dangerous," said Esther Vanhout, opponent.

I love that sentence... Why would anyone carry a firearm if they weren't dangerous? Why would bad guys (and girls) use them against law-abiding citizens if they weren't dangerous?

No, the only real danger is from people who don't think about the consequences. The Law of Unintended Consequences is a brutal task master that punishes mistakes ruthlessly.

The scary part... change a few words in that sentence to flect on another right...

"I don't like it because I don't like free speech at all, I thinkit's dangerous," said Esther Vanhout, opponent.

Or try this one...

"I don't like it because I don't likeprivacy at all, I think privacy is dangerous," said Esther Vanhout, opponent.

If you don't stand for our efforts to protect our rights, who will stand with you to protect the rights you want?

Post imported post

Esther Vanhout is a prime example of an emotionally crippled,hoplophobic idiot.

Lt. George Vanderhule is a prime example of a disingenious (lying) politically motivated idiot.

As a former cop I'd much rather know who's armed than speculate. CC is already the 'norm' in Texas... so how much 'danger' does an open carrier actually pose to 'officers and citizens'? NONE! He already knows this... He's just another errand boy n the pay of grocery clerks.

I took the time to sign in and leave a comment. 'Also read the opposing views... Rather poorly thought out responses... as usual.

Post imported post

I wonder if this bozo drinks, smokes, has sex or drives a motor vehicle as these persuits are all dangerous as well. Heck, come to think of it, he should just kill himself as it is dangerous to live in these times. What a dolt he is.