Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCing in the cold, with a coat, without a concealed permit...

Post imported post

Have any of you devised a method for this or did you just go ahead and shell out the 50 bucks for the CHL? Problem with that right now though is the up to a 45 day wait. Guess I should have thought of this sooner.

Post imported post

Carry with a thigh holster =)

Post imported post

Most thigh holsters I'm running into are pretty expensive. Do you know any decent, relatively inexpensive ones?

Post imported post

Meh, thigh holsters are too Tacticool for my taste.

Take a look at this thread:
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/15479-3.html

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    Most thigh holsters I'm running into are pretty expensive. Do you know any decent, relatively inexpensive ones?
    Well: $$$ for a thigh holster, or $50 for a CHP. And I think the CHP will be a bit more versatile, too.

Or maybe go with a low-ride holster.

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    Have any of you devised a method for this or did you just go ahead and shell out the 50 bucks for the CHL? Problem with that right now though is the up to a 45 day wait. Guess I should have thought of this sooner.
    Thermal underwear and layered sweat shirts or other tops/shirts. Unless you're going to be standing outside for long periods a heavy coat is not necessary. Suck it up!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    SERPA holster on the Blackhawk thigh platform seems to be IMHO the best option and you would still have a belt /paddle holster for other occasions.

Alternatively one could try a bandoleer type chest holster or vertical shoulder rig if you don't plan on taking your coat off much.

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Thermal underwear and layered sweat shirts or other tops/shirts. Unless you're going to be standing outside for long periods a heavy coat is not necessary. Suck it up!
    This.

My heavy coat is a hooded sweatshirt.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

i have a nice fleece pullover that i wear with jeans and my SERPA holster.. keeps me warm, and keeps my glock visible..

Post imported post

I use a duty jacket that has zippers on each side to allow the firearm to be there if you need it, just zip it back up behind the weapon, or leave it unzipped.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Don't wear a coat.. wear a jacket. Then you can do the Virginia tuck with your jacket. I did last night.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I don't have a VA CHP (I'm stillin that awkward age group that they won't issue to )so I have to be careful when open carrying when it's cold out. Normally I wear an undershirt under my polo shirt, and if it's too cold for just that, I'll put my jacket on (which doesn't go far past my waist (belt) line. Then I tuck the jacket behind the holster. This is one situation where I prefer a holster that isn't so high ride and close to the body. Cold doesn't bother me much.

Now, when I go farther north, I have non-resident permits to cover me since I wear a longer wool coat (and either IWB or OWB concealed).

Post imported post

Interesting ideas.

I have my CHP, but as soon as I go into a restaurantI have to take off my jacket.

I think that having a tactical jacket where I'm not concealing would be a lot less obvious...just take off the jacket once I'm seated.

Finally got a Rock River IWB that's not as open as an OWB (worn at 4 o'clock), but still gets some attention.

Post imported post

I just wear a jacket that's waist length.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    I just wear a jacket that's waist length.
    +1
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Or have a zipper put into your coat on the strong side. Close the coat and unzip the side zipper = warm and OC.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Or have a zipper put into your coat on the strong side.* Close the coat and unzip the side zipper =* warm and OC.

********** Yata hey
    5.11 Tactical 5-in-1 Field Jacket - BROWN - CLOSEOUT

:P

Post imported post

I wear layers as needed. Heavy flannel shirt, hooded zippered sweat shirt thenfor top layer eithera BDU shirt with Virginia tuck or heavy waist length jacket. I also have a CHP soin winter I usually conceal.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I never wear a coat. They're much too uncomfortable for driving, carrying, and just about anything else. In fact, I'm sure I don't even own one. All I have are jackets of varying types. They suit my needs just fine.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

You can conceal your weapon without a permit when it is precipitating can you not? I think I have read somewhere that you are allowed to protect your firearm from the weather

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    You can conceal your weapon without a permit when it is precipitating can you not?* I think I have read somewhere that you are allowed to protect your firearm from the weather
    I think that's like, just for hunters, or something.

ETA: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm
    ^See #6 under "A Permit is Not Necessary in the Following Circumstances:"

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    You can conceal your weapon without a permit when it is precipitating can you not? I think I have read somewhere that you are allowed to protect your firearm from the weather
    I think that's like, just for hunters, or something.
    I'm not sure where I read it but I read it recently. I wish I knew where so I could revisit it.....

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    curtiswr wrote:
    SERPA holster on the Blackhawk thigh platform seems to be IMHO the best option and you would still have a belt /paddle holster for other occasions.
    I will make fun of you if I ever see you wearing that. :P

State Researcher

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    Only when hunting. Va. Code § 18.2-308(B)(6) provides this exemption from the concealed weapon statute:
    Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions . . . [.]
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    Only when hunting. Va. Code § 18.2-308(B)(6) provides this exemption from the concealed weapon statute:
    Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions . . . [.]
    Hmmm...good thing I have my CHP. I fooled myself into thinking it applied to everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast