• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the cold, with a coat, without a concealed permit...

curtiswr

imported post

Have any of you devised a method for this or did you just go ahead and shell out the 50 bucks for the CHL? Problem with that right now though is the up to a 45 day wait. Guess I should have thought of this sooner.

curtiswr

imported post

Most thigh holsters I'm running into are pretty expensive. Do you know any decent, relatively inexpensive ones?

kle

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Most thigh holsters I'm running into are pretty expensive. Do you know any decent, relatively inexpensive ones?
Well: $$$ for a thigh holster, or $50 for a CHP. And I think the CHP will be a bit more versatile, too.

Or maybe go with a low-ride holster.

Neplusultra

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Have any of you devised a method for this or did you just go ahead and shell out the 50 bucks for the CHL? Problem with that right now though is the up to a 45 day wait. Guess I should have thought of this sooner.
Thermal underwear and layered sweat shirts or other tops/shirts. Unless you're going to be standing outside for long periods a heavy coat is not necessary. Suck it up!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
SERPA holster on the Blackhawk thigh platform seems to be IMHO the best option and you would still have a belt /paddle holster for other occasions.
430500%20Serpa%20TAC%20holster.jpg

Alternatively one could try a bandoleer type chest holster or vertical shoulder rig if you don't plan on taking your coat off much.

AbNo

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Thermal underwear and layered sweat shirts or other tops/shirts. Unless you're going to be standing outside for long periods a heavy coat is not necessary. Suck it up!
This.

My heavy coat is a hooded sweatshirt. :)

usaf0906

imported post

i have a nice fleece pullover that i wear with jeans and my SERPA holster.. keeps me warm, and keeps my glock visible.. :)

KnightSG7

imported post

I use a duty jacket that has zippers on each side to allow the firearm to be there if you need it, just zip it back up behind the weapon, or leave it unzipped.

nova

imported post

I don't have a VA CHP (I'm stillin that awkward age group that they won't issue to )so I have to be careful when open carrying when it's cold out. Normally I wear an undershirt under my polo shirt, and if it's too cold for just that, I'll put my jacket on (which doesn't go far past my waist (belt) line. Then I tuck the jacket behind the holster. This is one situation where I prefer a holster that isn't so high ride and close to the body. Cold doesn't bother me much.

Now, when I go farther north, I have non-resident permits to cover me since I wear a longer wool coat (and either IWB or OWB concealed).

Glock27Bill

imported post

Interesting ideas.

I have my CHP, but as soon as I go into a restaurantI have to take off my jacket.

I think that having a tactical jacket where I'm not concealing would be a lot less obvious...just take off the jacket once I'm seated.

Finally got a Rock River IWB that's not as open as an OWB (worn at 4 o'clock), but still gets some attention.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Or have a zipper put into your coat on the strong side. Close the coat and unzip the side zipper = warm and OC.

Yata hey

mobeewan

imported post

I wear layers as needed. Heavy flannel shirt, hooded zippered sweat shirt thenfor top layer eithera BDU shirt with Virginia tuck or heavy waist length jacket. I also have a CHP soin winter I usually conceal.

richarcm

imported post

You can conceal your weapon without a permit when it is precipitating can you not? I think I have read somewhere that you are allowed to protect your firearm from the weather