• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the cold, with a coat, without a concealed permit...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

richarcm wrote:
You can conceal your weapon without a permit when it is precipitating can you not?  I think I have read somewhere that you are allowed to protect your firearm from the weather
I think that's like, just for hunters, or something.

ETA: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm
^See #6 under "A Permit is Not Necessary in the Following Circumstances:"

richarcm

imported post

marshaul wrote:
richarcm wrote:
You can conceal your weapon without a permit when it is precipitating can you not? I think I have read somewhere that you are allowed to protect your firearm from the weather
I think that's like, just for hunters, or something.
I'm not sure where I read it but I read it recently. I wish I knew where so I could revisit it.....

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
Most thigh holsters I'm running into are pretty expensive. Do you know any decent, relatively inexpensive ones?
SERPA holster on the Blackhawk thigh platform seems to be IMHO the best option and you would still have a belt /paddle holster for other occasions.
430500%20Serpa%20TAC%20holster.jpg
I will make fun of you if I ever see you wearing that. :p

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

richarcm wrote:
You can conceal your weapon without a permit when it is precipitating can you not? I think I have read somewhere that you are allowed to protect your firearm from the weather
Only when hunting. Va. Code § 18.2-308(B)(6) provides this exemption from the concealed weapon statute:
Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions . . . [.]

richarcm

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Only when hunting. Va. Code § 18.2-308(B)(6) provides this exemption from the concealed weapon statute:
Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions . . . [.]
Hmmm...good thing I have my CHP. I fooled myself into thinking it applied to everyone.

kle

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Well my gun absolutely hates sunlight =)

no carry permit ?

imported post

marshaul wrote:
longwatch wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
Most thigh holsters I'm running into are pretty expensive. Do you know any decent, relatively inexpensive ones?
SERPA holster on the Blackhawk thigh platform seems to be IMHO the best option and you would still have a belt /paddle holster for other occasions.
I want one for Christmas dinner at my anti-gunner sister n laws home.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

marshaul wrote:
longwatch wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
No my partner in crime carries that way, its not as bad as you think. The other option I forgot to mention is to get a coat with a holster cut.

nitrovic

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Have any of you devised a method for this or did you just go ahead and shell out the 50 bucks for the CHL? Problem with that right now though is the up to a 45 day wait. Guess I should have thought of this sooner.

How long is the coat?

Virginian683

nitrovic

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:
Go old school and wear a Sam Browne Belt rig over your coat. MPs and cops in many countries still carry that way.

http://www.stationhouse.com/uniforms/jaypee/sambrowne_belts.htm

I used to carry my 9mm like that while standing gate guard in Germany, it gets very restrictive if you have to take it off while indoors.
Yeah I didn't think of that. But I imagine it would attract some looks. :D

Indeed it does. It also makes you look like some German soldier from the old back/white movies when you wear it with the big, dark rain coats. :lol:

nitrovic

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Yup gotta say it does give you that ready to storm Poland look.
Ellis_1.JPG

It really is horrible. That is exactly what I had in my head.

Tomahawk

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Yup gotta say it does give you that ready to storm Poland look.

Are those guys on the left actually wearing jack boots?

I haven't found a good way to OC in winter. Buying a special jacket for it is too much for me; it means spending money on a coat I don't really want, when I already have a favorite winter coat, which already cost me good money.

So if I really need to OC outdoors, it means layers of sweatshirts, preferably synthetic fleece. But for the most part I just CC and take off my coat when I enter a restaurant.

That said, even CC is hard in the winter, since most coats take forever to unzip or unbotton when you're in a hurry. I have a coach's windbreaker which has snaps on it, and that's about the quickest opening jacket I have, but most heavy coats don't come with snaps. Velcro would work, too.

nova

imported post

When I CC in northern states during wintertime I have a wool coat that easily covers either my IWB or OWB holster. I rarely zip up my coat, I simply keep my hands in my pockets and I naturally keep the coat from blowing open then. I can still quickly draw my gun as well.