• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok, I searched; found nothing - Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 SPL???

Todd Hardy

Opt-Out Members
imported post

http://taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=324&category=Revolver

It's the Taurus Ultra-Lite Model 85 .38 SPL Revolver in Stainless.

85SSUL.jpg

Yes, I know blue steel is prettier but I live in Florida and it will be for concealed carry. Yes, I know it only has a five round capacity; I'm in a nightmare if I need more. Yes, I know a larger caliber has more stopping power but a .38 with +P will do just fine, and it will be my "everything" piece. I will use it for CC and target. Yes, I want an exposed, external hammer, I just like the control. Yes, I know Smith & Wesson builds a better piece but I'm already stretching my budget for this gun, plus I've had good experiences with Taurus in the past. And yes, I want a revolver; semi-auto's are nice but I like revolvers for all the usual reasons.

What I'd like to know is if anyone here owns one and/or knows anything about them that I don't know or need to know? As I stated, I searched and didn't find anything about this firearm. I'm planning on buying one Friday, provided I have the funds, and I wanted to make sure it's the right decision. I figured if anyone would have some unbiased knowledge about this gun, it would be you guys! (and gals) ;)

Thank you in advance,

-Todd

jmlefler

imported post

Todd,

While I don't have this exact gun, I do have a Taurus 650, .357 hammerless snubby.

This weapon, combined with a pocket holster, literally disappears in the front pocket of my jeans. Accuracy at 7 yds. is not bad, but did take about 100 rounds to become comfortable. Remington ammo is more accurate than the WWB for me. I shoot .38s at the range and carry .38+p JHP.

I did buy the pistol used but was told the weapon had <50 rounds through it. After another 300 rounds, I began to have problems with the cylinder release sticking. Subsequently the pistol went into total cylinder lockup and is now at Taurus being 'repaired' under their lifetime warranty program. BTW, it cost $60 to ship under UPS/FEDEX guidlines.

I'm looking forward to the return of my 650; it's a great little gun for throwing in your pocket when I don't wish to carry my 92FS.

Hope this is helpful.

Carry on.

tripledipper

imported post

This is aTaurus 85 vsS&W 637 question. Smith is offering a $30 rebate on theirs right now butit comes with aninternal lock. I too am interested inpeoples experiences with both.

neddis

imported post

I JUST bought that exact gun for my wife - stainless with rubber grips. I have only made it to the range once with it so far, and I couldn't stay long. I found out two things - 1) that thing SNAPS up when you pull the trigger - holy crap, and 2) it is flippin' loud.

Ok, on a more serious note, it was more accurate than I expected it to be. It fits in my pocket. After finding this out, the first words out of my mouth were "I gotta get one of these!"

It doesn't seem like a great gun to just go out and put holes in paper with. Maybe I am a wuss, but the recoil is a little much for just plinking. With a 2" barrel, you are going to have a hard time hitting anything further than 20 feet. It is highly concealable though and quite inexpensive.

I wish I had more info for you. So far, as a CC gun, I recommend it. I haven't had a chance to do any kind of exhaustive test with it though.

squisher

imported post

My wife got me a magazine that had a review of that and the Non-ultralite version of that model.

The reviewer had the same reaction you had to the ultralite. Very snappy recoil, but the non-ultralite didn't seem to have that problem -- it was heavier, so it soaked up the recoil better.

The review also agreed that being light though made it very nice to carry all day, just not as much fun to do much shooting with.

Quality-wise, I own a different taurus product and am very happy with it, so there you have it.

If I were in the market for a snubby, I'd probably pick up a .357 to shoot .38s with (so I would have the option to move up to .357 later if I wanted to). Like the 617SS
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=260&category=Revolver

Honestly, it's only a little more money (~77 more for the 617 .357 in stainless).

Orygunner

imported post

I've owned a few Taurus Semi-autos (Millennium, Millennium Pro, and PT-101), and have always wanted one of their .357 Tracker 8-shot revolvers.

I like Taurus's lifetime warranty, good for the life of the firearm (forever?), whether you're the original owner or not. Haven't had to use it on anything, but nice knowing it's there.

...Orygunner...

rdinatal

imported post

I have the M85 in titanium for everyday carry witha IWB Galco (D819 ST0158) and only notice it when I tie my shoes. With 95gr +P hollow points it does have a good hit right in the web of my hand.For 5-10 rounds I can stand it.

I carry it more than my M19 just because it lighter and smaller.

-R

carracer

imported post

I'm looking at the same for my wife and maybe myself. Being concerned about recoil on her behalf I found some Ten-X 105gr. that shoot at only 600fps.I think they are Cowboy Action loads. VERY pleasant to shoot in a borrowed S&W Airweight. They also make a 130gr load so a person could work their way up to full power loads or keep practicing with low loads and put in the full power for carrying.

wrightme

imported post

I have the blued version, and even with standard .38 spl rounds, it does "snap back" with authority. It is a nice, light, accurate revolver. I have no complaints over my purchase of my used example (price was astoundingly moderate ;)).

clonestar

imported post

Todd: I don't have any experience with that Taurus model, but I taught my wife to shoot with a Colt Cobra over 30 years ago, with regular visits to the firing range. I know that there's a large body of thought these days that prefers to lean toward the ability to have larger amounts of lead to put onto a target, but I've always maintained the opinion that the gun itself is nothing more than a tool and that it's the ability of he or she who operates that tool which makes the greatest difference. The best performance from that revolver, or any gun,is going to come from continued practice. Best regards.

AbNo

imported post

I'm pretty sure Kendo_Bunny has that in a seven-shot.

No wait, she has the Titanium Tracker. Almost the same thing, though.

Hers is a good piece of work, but the grips are TINY for me.