• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

St. Louis City alderman gets it

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

ST. LOUIS— A St. Louis city leader frustrated with the police response to rising crime called Tuesday on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.[/b]

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said police are ineffective, outnumbered or don't care about the increase in crime in his north St. Louis ward. St. Louis has had 157 homicides in 2008, 33 more than last year at this time.

Here's hoping that more leaders begin to realize this sad truth.The link to the full story:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,460725,00.html

AllAmerican

imported post

Fox and Friends had a spot today with Troupe and a Sheeple rep. Once again, her arguments against this were way off. He is asking folks to arm themselves in their homes to prevent crime there. She goes right into the whole "there will be guns in schools and grocery stores" blah blahblah same tired stuff they always spew.

The sheep lady then lets us know that violence begets more violence and she doesnt want her kids to see or hear about it. Blah Blah Blah.

She believes an 8 hour course is not long enough for people to know how to handle a gun responsibly. Ibark at the TV "thats why we continue to go to the range lady".

Then we find out that her husband was gunned down in front of their home. OK I get it now. You dont like guns because your husband was killed by a gun. WRONG!!! Your husband was killed by a person who used a gun.

Allison did a decent job as an interviewer but they never ask ALL the right questions IMO.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
Ibark at the TV "thats why we continue to go to the range lady".
Please do not presume to speak for "we". You watch and bark and "continue to go to the range."

The collective conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

AllAmerican

imported post

Whatever Doug. OK I dont speak for "We" collectively.

Is it me or do you just look for anything in any post on this forum to start on?

FWIW, I agree with you here:

"The collective conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth."

My point wasnt that anyone should continue to train themselves or even that they should have to take the course.
I certainly am not saying folks who do not continue to shoot do not have a right to own or carry guns.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

So what, then, does your continuing to go to the range have to do with responsibility?

The Second Amendment says "shall not be infringed" for a reason and its not to allow each generation of our thousands and thousands of tyrant neighbors to be arbiter of politically correct responsibility. Which would you rather, All American Anony Mouse, one tyrant thousands of miles away or thousands of tyrant neighbors?

There is an essential tension between freedom and community and between orthodoxy and heterodoxy.

Safety is the first act of security theater and the tyrant's tool because no one can be against safety - or responsibility. After all, it's "For the chilldruun!" an invitation to thoughtlessness.

Legba

imported post

As for the OP, the police here admitted as much to our CCW permit class. They respond to crimes, and very occasionally catch one in progress, but ultimately you are responsible for your own safety/security. Too right, as our disarmed Brit cousins might say.

-ljp

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
My point wasnt that anyone should continue to train themselves or even that they should have to take the course.
Then struggle as I do to write clearly and concisely if not for simpletons.

I parse your quoted above statement as;

My point was not that anyone should continue to train themselves or even that they shold have to take the course.

This after agreeing with the invincibly ignorant that there is some politically correct required responsibility met by continuing range time. Continuing training is argued at length here but not continuing education in literacy.

But you have convinced me that you are a good heart and I won't pick at you further in this thread.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

Did someone miss their true calling in life?

210929_f260.jpg

Equinox

imported post

"A North St. Louis alderman's solution to rising urban crime and gun deaths is to arm everybody.
Charles Quincy Troupe, a frequent critic of his city's police force, says more "Show Me State" residents should buy guns and get training, and that if criminals knew they're more likely to meet resistance, they might think twice about their illegal activities."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/12/stlouis-guns-tr.html