• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

D.C. gun owners will have to re-register every 3 years

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You'll love this one. How creative... From WTOP

The D.C. Council gave preliminary approval to regulations for registering and storing handguns.
The bill calls for owners to recertify their ownership every year, to re-register the guns every three years and to undergo background checks every six years.
Gun owners will have to store their firearms securely if there are children in the home.
The legislation also bans assault weapons and unsafe guns.

"Today's vote puts the District at the forefront of using regulation to reduce gun violence, rather than the simpler, prior approach of hoping that an outright ban will be effective," said D.C. Council member Phil Mendelson.

A final vote is expected Dec. 16.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"Hello, DCPD, yeah, that gun I registered last year, yeah, I still got it. Just wanted to let you know. I know I call every week and only have to register annually but you seemed so concerned I just wanted to keep you up to date. Other people are calling too? Thousands? Every week? Well, they just probably want you to be sure too. Yeah, just doing our part. Well, gotta go, I still have to call all the Council members and let them know too."

Ironic (and disgusting) that the capitol of our nation is one of the least free places in a nation conceived in liberty.

Hcidem

imported post

Well, this is not entirely surprising. Once the city council found out theycould no longerinfringe the right to bear arms, they decided to try and infringe the right to keep arms.

They must think of themselves as a bunch of real geniuses. We already have a good idea of what they think of D.C.'s citizens.

ianto94

imported post

Assault weapons are defined in the Act, but basically the Brady people wrote the Act. Unsafe guns are defined by the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

Alexcabbie

imported post

The City Council of Washington DC is one of the most stupendous collections of mountebanks, charlatains ans shysters in these United States. The most commonly cited reason that the DC "gun ban"did not work has been it is all the fault of the Commonwealth of Virginia's "lax gun laws". Which of course begs te question of why, if we in virginia are so hip-deep in guns and legal carry; why we do not have the problem??

Why does someone who owns a weapon have to register with the police as if he were a child molestor?? Can you imagine the s**tstorm that would come up if people were erquired to register the computers they used on the Internet?? The left does not like government spying on people, so they say. But the truth is they want the government to stay off their case. As for those who do not agree with them, they seek to censor and control.

It is past time for "Home Rule" to be revoked and the old "three Federal Commissioners" to be put back in charge of things. If the people of DC don't like it, nobody is to stop them from moving to Maryland. NOT VIRGINIA PLEASE MY DEAR GOD!

xd.40

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
"Hello, DCPD, yeah, that gun I registered last year, yeah, I still got it. Just wanted to let you know. I know I call every week and only have to register annually but you seemed so concerned I just wanted to keep you up to date. Other people are calling too? Thousands? Every week? Well, they just probably want you to be sure too. Yeah, just doing our part. Well, gotta go, I still have to call all the Council members and let them know too."

Ironic (and disgusting) that the capitol of our nation is one of the least free places in a nation conceived in liberty.
If it is signed into effect, I HOPE all owners would do this. Not only is it funny, but it would bug the hell out of them and maybe they would realize how stupid they are. Well, ok, maybe not, but you can hope, right?

Gordie

imported post

xd.40 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

If it is signed into effect, I HOPE all owners would do this. Not only is it funny, but it would bug the hell out of them and maybe they would realize how stupid they are. Well, ok, maybe not, but you can hope, right?

Even if they didn't realize how stupid it all was, it would still be worth it just to bug them for being so stupid in the first place. Kind of a "you made your bed now lie in it" approach.:celebrate

thorvaldr

imported post

deepdiver wrote:

Heck, I'd be willing to call them weekly to them that I DON'T have a gun registered in DC.

demnogis

imported post

The rights of the people SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

WTF is this crap? We couldn't ban ownership, so let's restrict it to even stronger standards than being a registered sex offender? Or better yet, voluntary probation for owning a gun. That's basically what this is, probation for owning a gun.

Last I check probation was for those convicted of a crime, not for John Q. Public.