• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Permitted in Colo.; perspective of a 28 year resident.

Consiglieri

imported post

I'm amazed that the State of Texas does not permit a person to openly carry a firearm. Open carry is permitted in Colorado (Art. 12, Title 18, C.R.S.§ 101 et. seq.) This section shows where open carry is not permitted.

I have lived in Colorado for over 28 years, and very few people avail themselves of this right. Here are a couple of exceptions that make perfect sense.

I have visited two target ranges in Metro Denver where in addition to shooting, firearms, ammunition and other items are sold. By definition, practically everyone who visits these establishments has access to a firearm. Since each business has millions of dollars of inventory in pistols, assault rifles and ammunition, as one would expect, the employees openly carry a sidearm. This makes perfect sense since it is a great deterrent to robbery.

Second, Mountain Lyons sometimes visit hiking trails - and national forests permit carrying and shooting firearms. An aggressive Mountain Lyon approached two people hiking and as a last resort the animal was shot. No charges were filed because of the circumstances. Imagine the outcome had they not been armed. Consiglieri

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! First off, OC is legal both statutorily and constitutionally in Colorado. Unfortunately, OC is not legal in the City & County of Denver per the Meyers decision (check out www.rmgo.org for more info) outside of your home or place of business. If you OC in public in Denver, expect to be arrested. I've OCed outside Denver almost everyday for about 9 months and I cannot recall ever seeing another OCer. I've run into a few LEOs while OCing without an issue. Most people simply don't know it's legal.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Hell Centsi, we live in the same town and I have yet to spot ya!!! I'm lookin tho....LOL

Just the other day I had a CRPD ask me what make of 1911 I was carrying while standing in line at King Soopers. He was totally cool about it too. Young guy who I thought was gonna hassle me, but he was quite civil and decent about it. Maybe there is hope!

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Hell Centsi, we live in the same town and I have yet to spot ya!!! I'm lookin tho....LOL

Just the other day I had a CRPD ask me what make of 1911 I was carrying while standing in line at King Soopers. He was totally cool about it too. Young guy who I thought was gonna hassle me, but he was quite civil and decent about it. Maybe there is hope!
I know it. I figured I'd see you or another OCer by now. If CRPD didn't freak out, there may be hope indeed.