• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO training bulletins

suntzu

imported post

Does anyone know if normal LEO training bulletins are public domain under a FOIA request OR the Tennessee Open Records Act? I'm not talking about investigative reports--merely the training bulletins issued to officers?

fullauto223cal

imported post

I can assure you that the fact Tennessee allows open carry is taught to new law enforcement recruits. The people who came in to teach about Driver's Licenses even listed it as a test question. If you want confirmation think about contacting the Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy for details.

suntzu

imported post

fullauto223cal wrote:
I can assure you that the fact Tennessee allows open carry is taught to new law enforcement recruits. The people who came in to teach about Driver's Licenses even listed it as a test question. If you want confirmation think about contacting the Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy for details.
Yes, but what I want to see is the training bulletins, or the departmental memos that go out to the officers instructing them on how to approach individuals who are carrying guns...are these documents covered under a FOIA request, or under the Tn. Open Records Act?

Are individual city, and county LE agencies required to present use of force policies upon request?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

suntzu wrote:
Yes, but what I want to see is the training bulletins, or the departmental memos that go out to the officers instructing them on how to approach individuals who are carrying guns...are these documents covered under a FOIA request, or under the Tn. Open Records Act?

Are individual city, and county LE agencies required to present use of force policies upon request?

I suspect this is more a question for the courts. By this I mean, I doubt there is anexplicitclause inany FOIA law that says expressly one way or the other whether this type of record is exempt or not. And I sorta doubt its been the subject of a court opinionone way or the other; and if it has, I'm betting the court ruled in favor of withholding the record.

You may very well receive a "records withheld" letter, citing a tactics security exemption. And as long as they insist on withholding the records, it'll take a court order to pry it out of them.

That's not to say it wouldn't be useful toget a refusal.Check and see ifTN FOIA law includes a clause that, if itwitholds a record, the agencymust tell you the record exists.If so, you can then word a FOIA request very, very carefully.

For example,"Any single training memo that discusses how to investigatively approach a citizen carrying a handgun in a holster where there is no other circumstance prompting the investigation or fact of being approached by an LEO."

Be careful about askingfor plural records andmultiple types of records in one FOIA if you are using this approach. At least one state FOIA law allows a blanket refusal that would then fog up whether such a record exists.

This approach is designed to find out whether such a record exists at all. Now watch this: If the record existsAND it is withheld for security purposes, it automatically tells you the officer is approaching with suspicion on his mind, is being cautious, using tactical methods of some sort,AND he is doing it only because the citizen is carrying a holstered gun. Whamo. You got 'em.

Or, maybe even better, you could request the example record but slightly modified to include, "...discusses or directs the officer toengage the citizen in a non-consensual/involuntaryencounter."A refusal would tell yousomething very interesting indeed.

fullauto223cal

imported post

I would think the department would have had to have had a problem with it before it would go to that level. All I know is what I've learned at my Department. Tennessee has had it's Shall Issue law since '96. The way I was instructed, don't do anything until your sure a crime is being committed. You can only be charged with a crime if it statute law, there is no "common law" in Tennessee.

The few stories I read about before becoming an Officer sounded as if the Officer acted before thinking, and that's always a big risk. We were taught that we better have probable cause or at lease reasonable suspicions for a Terry stop.

I don't know what to tell you about any training bulletin, but it is part of the curriculum for new recruits that open carry is NOT against the law.