• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any LEO's Downriver?

ghostrider

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
Venator wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
Lot's of words....

Written like a true LEO. Listen, there are plenty of LEO's out there that know damn well that OC is legal and still harass OCers. And a PA or judge telling them that OC is legal is not going to stop some of this harassment. Law suits tend to get attention.

The only reason our members send info on OC to their local police is so the local LEO can't say "We didn't know" If I said Oh I'm sorry I didn't know...my ass is still in jail. So say what you want about wasting our time informing the local law enforcement agencies about OC, but for me it's working. Besides if you had taken time to read our info packet to the LEO's you would have seen the comment where we write.."If you have questions please talk with your prosecuting attorney..."
The bottom line is within any Police department and Community court system there is a chain of command. As a citizen you need to understand that and use it to your advantage to actually make a positive impact. Please do not get me wrong as I am NOT an LEO. I do, as I said before support OC. and support this site. There are right ways and wrongs ways of doing things is all I am pointing out. I am no attorney and have very little experience in regards to OC. However I have a lot of experiance with the judicial system and police departments. I am not saying not to send the packets to the police but merely suggesting to make sure the Cheif of police recieves it. Not some poge behind a desk.
Aren't you the one who asked for LEO opinions? I'm very confused.

Who do you think has a negative opinion of law enforcement? I certainly don't, in a general sense at least. On OC, I have seen and heard of many more negative than positive encounters.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That, and I'm also curious about who's been walking around with an LBV or some other tactical vest.

I also don't think the thigh holster is out of line. I personally find it poor fashion, but in winter time it's probably one of the better solutions for OC.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

I did ask, as I wished toknow and understand from a LEO stand point locally how they handle personally while on Duty a OC call? As I am sure there are some either members or viewers of this forum. I really dont think this is a off the wall question?

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Dont get me wrong. Some of the members may have earned the right to have the opinion they do in regards to SOME LEO's. I personally do not agree with all LEO'sand there actions. However that being said I do have a certain respect for LEO's as I have seen first hand what they deal with on a day to day basis. Even though I do not agree with some I do understand. Many people do not. Nor do they care to try too..Nothing wrong with it I am just not one of those people.

ghostrider

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
My personal observation to this forum is that some of the posters due infact seem to issue statements in which one would feel that they have a negative opinion of LEO's.
I have also made that observation, but only rarely. So rare in fact that I can't even remember who or when.

Was it anything specifically that your referring to? What sort of statements were they that left you with that opinion?

My opinion from my personal observation of this forum is that most here don't have any problem whatsoever with LEO's, until those LEO's hassle them for OC'ing. OTOH, there have been other reports of LEO's interacting with OC'ers in a positive way, and those incidents are given equal time.

If your going to come onto this board and state that some people here have issued statements that give the impression of a general negative opinion of LEO's, then it is only fair to back up that statement with examples.

Your new here, so you may not be aware, but around here, people get their "feet held to the fire". Calling on people to substantiate their statements is quite common around here. Actually, it's pretty much a consistent theme.

If your going to imply that people are anti-police (or have just demonstrated a negative attitude toward them), then you, we need for you to point it out.

One of the goals of this group is to build good relationships with LE. Your viewpoint could possibly help us do that. I've heard people on LEO forums state that the people on this board are a bunch of cop bashers. While I have observed some comments from other states members that could have given me that impression, my observation is that it's a rarity. Even still, if you can contribute in this area, it may well benifit us all.

SQLtables

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
Dont get me wrong. Some of the members may have earned the right to have the opinion they do in regards to SOME LEO's. I personally do not agree with all LEO'sand there actions. However that being said I do have a certain respect for LEO's as I have seen first hand what they deal with on a day to day basis. Even though I do not agree with some I do understand. Many people do not. Nor do they care to try too..Nothing wrong with it I am just not one of those people.
I also have a great respect for most LEOs. They deal with a lot of crap that I really don't want to deal with. That's no excuse for harassment and things of that nature by SOME.

As for your question, I don't have any experience in your area, but here in Frankenmuth, my first reply is EXACTLY how LEO reacted to me OCing. Both the chief and some random officer, although the chief was MUCH more polite about it.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
I also have a great respect for most LEOs. They deal with a lot of crap that I really don't want to deal with. That's no excuse for harassment and things of that nature by SOME.

As for your question, I don't have any experience in your area, but here in Frankenmuth, my first reply is EXACTLY how LEO reacted to me OCing. Both the chief and some random officer, although the chief was MUCH more polite about it.
Well Personally I dont see hardly anyone post there positive experiance's with OCing and LEO's? As a group trying to promote OCing wouldnt it be more benificial to promote positive expericance's of OCing instead of everything Negative? With all TV and News articles these are all positive experiance's for everyone involved and OCing in general. With all the members I am sure some have some sort of positive experiance? I may be wrong I dont know? Also I think itwould be helpful if those in the forum actually added a message somewhere in there signature weather or not they have a CCW. Stating information while OCing with or without a CCW I personally feel is a pretty big deal. I am kind of getting off my goal here as I have not read enough of this forum andplanned to be well informed prior to posting.. I may have not read everything. However from what I have read everything seems to be negative? Every experiance from every poster could not be negative could it?

SQLtables

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
Dont get me wrong. Some of the members may have earned the right to have the opinion they do in regards to SOME LEO's. I personally do not agree with all LEO's and there actions. However that being said I do have a certain respect for LEO's as I have seen first hand what they deal with on a day to day basis. Even though I do not agree with some I do understand. Many people do not. Nor do they care to try too..Nothing wrong with it I am just not one of those people.
I also have a great respect for most LEOs.  They deal with a lot of crap that I really don't want to deal with.  That's no excuse for harassment and things of that nature by SOME.

As for your question, I don't have any experience in your area, but here in Frankenmuth, my first reply is EXACTLY how LEO reacted to me OCing.  Both the chief and some random officer, although the chief was MUCH more polite about it.
Well Personally I dont see hardly anyone post there positive experiance's with OCing and LEO's? As a group trying to promote OCing wouldnt it be more benificial to promote positive expericance's of OCing instead of everything Negative? With all TV and News articles these are all positive experiance's for everyone involved and OCing in general. With all the members I am sure some have some sort of positive experiance? I may be wrong I dont know? Also I think it would be helpful if those in the forum actually added a message somewhere in there signature weather or not they have a CCW. Stating information while OCing with or without a CCW I personally feel is a pretty big deal. I am kind of getting off my goal here  as I have not read enough of this forum and planned to be well informed prior to posting..  I may have not read everything. However from what I have read everything seems to be negative? Every experiance from every poster could not be negative could it?

Have you read the experiences thread? The overwhelming majority of posts are positive. You'll know it's a positive experience because it usually ends with "nothing happened"

SpringerXDacp

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
SNIP
Well Personally I dont see hardly anyone post there positive experiance's with OCing and LEO's? As a group trying to promote OCing wouldnt it be more benificial to promote positive expericance's of OCing instead of everything Negative? With all TV and News articles these are all positive experiance's for everyone involved and OCing in general. With all the members I am sure some have some sort of positive experiance? I may be wrong I dont know? Also I think itwould be helpful if those in the forum actually added a message somewhere in there signature weather or not they have a CCW. Stating information while OCing with or without a CCW I personally feel is a pretty big deal. I am kind of getting off my goal here as I have not read enough of this forum andplanned to be well informed prior to posting.. I may have not read everything. However from what I have read everything seems to be negative? Every experiance from every poster could not be negative could it?

Welcome to OCDO Wardog.

1) Have you taken a few minutes to review the Michigan Events Schedule Thread? Please review the "Previous OC Events" listed in the first post.

Link: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15478.html

2) At some point or another, members here mention if they have a CPL or in the process of getting one.

3) That is true andno "...everything...." is not negative.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Yes I have spent the last hour or so reading the experiances thread. I have also added Michigan OC myspace to my personal myspace. I have also posted Open carry information here. Which is the downriver community forum. Along with emailing and calling various freinds and family.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

wardog6d wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
wardog6d wrote:

It's clear you haven't given much time to reading any of the experiences page of which there are 45 with about99%stating apositive experiences. If you do further research you will have seen the poll we did which showed almost 90% of the people that responded that OC have a CPL. The fact that you refer to a CPL as a CCW tells a lot as well. A CCW is a five year felony. A CPL is a Concealed Pistol License which is what Michigan issues.

Welcome to the forum, but do a bit more reading on the site before making sweeping statements. Many of the regular members have been here a while and have heard it all before. They are well equipped to answer and dispel many of the myths in regards to OC. I think all your questions can be answered in the information thread and you will learn much in the experiences thread. So don't take it personally, stay and learn and then OC and relate your experiences on the thread.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

wardog6d wrote:
Yes I plan to... As I stated I planned on doing much more reading before posting. There is alot of information to take in here. My apologize's to anyone I may have offended in my post's.
No worries, I hope you stay around. The site is very informative, even if I....er...I mean some come on strong, many are very passionate about this subject.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
Yes I plan to... As I stated I planned on doing much more reading before posting. There is  alot of information to take in here. My apologize's to anyone I may have offended in my post's.
No worries, I hope you stay around.  The site is very informative, even if I....er...I mean some come on strong, many are very passionate about this subject.

Passionate? You have no idea.. haha... man do my dad and I get into some discussions every time I see him... it's fun though...

wardog, I can't speak for everybody, but you definitely haven't offended me, and what I said before applies to us "veterans" too. Nothing you said was offending. I hope you stick around, read a bunch, and contribute everything you have to contribute to the cause.

ghostrider

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
Well Personally I dont see hardly anyone post there positive experiance's with OCing and LEO's? As a group trying to promote OCing wouldnt it be more benificial to promote positive expericance's of OCing instead of everything Negative? With all TV and News articles these are all positive experiance's for everyone involved and OCing in general. With all the members I am sure some have some sort of positive experiance? I may be wrong I dont know?
Combine that, with this:

wardog6d wrote:
...I have not read enough of this forum and planned to be well informed prior to posting.....
I asked you for specific incidents of posts on this board that gave you an impression of a general negative attitude toward LEO. I explained to you that people get called on such unsubstantiated claims here, and called on you to cite the examples. Instead of doing that, you spout of some mantra about "hardly anyone posting their positive experiences with OC'ing and LEO's." "...instead of everything Negative..." Then, you claim in the same paragraph that you haven't even read enough on this forum. How can you make such a judgement, when you can't cite examples, and haven't even read enough to see that your impression is completely wrong?

Not trying to chastise you here, but just pointing out the bigger picture. If you'd read through the "List your Open Cary Experiences" thread, you'd see many examples of positive experiences. Also, keep in mind that police officer these days rarely talk to citizens on a completely benign basis. Sad fact is that they are just too undermand, and overwhelmed to spend the time to do so. Most of the times, when people have interaction with an LEO, it's because said citizen did something wrong. Since OC is not even reasonable suspicion for a Terry Stop, chances are that an officer stopping someone for OC is going to be reported as a negative encounter. Even so, there are probably just as many positive reports as there are negative reports.

Again, cite the examples of "negative attitude toward LEO's" that you are referring to. Otherwise, your claim just comes off as an unwarranted defensive attitude. Like I said, citing such examples, and explaining the problem with them, would help us work toward a solution. They way your doing it only makes things worse as it's just "slinging mud". What your doing does nothing but stirr up emotion, and sounds like an emotional reaction itself.

Facts please (with sugar on top:D). Cite the examples your refering to. Don't take this personally. We need to know what you are talking about. We need your help. However, if you can't cite specific examples, then it's more harm than help.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
Well Personally I dont see hardly anyone post there positive experiance's with OCing and LEO's? As a group trying to promote OCing wouldnt it be more benificial to promote positive expericance's of OCing instead of everything Negative? With all TV and News articles these are all positive experiance's for everyone involved and OCing in general. With all the members I am sure some have some sort of positive experiance? I may be wrong I dont know?
Combine that, with this:

wardog6d wrote:
...I have not read enough of this forum and planned to be well informed prior to posting.....
I asked you for specific incidents of posts on this board that gave you an impression of a general negative attitude toward LEO. I explained to you that people get called on such unsubstantiated claims here, and called on you to cite the examples. Instead of doing that, you spout of some mantra about "hardly anyone posting their positive experiences with OC'ing and LEO's." "...instead of everything Negative..." Then, you claim in the same paragraph that you haven't even read enough on this forum. How can you make such a judgement, when you can't cite examples, and haven't even read enough to see that your impression is completely wrong?

Not trying to chastise you here, but just pointing out the bigger picture. If you'd read through the "List your Open Cary Experiences" thread, you'd see many examples of positive experiences. Also, keep in mind that police officer these days rarely talk to citizens on a completely benign basis. Sad fact is that they are just too undermand, and overwhelmed to spend the time to do so. Most of the times, when people have interaction with an LEO, it's because said citizen did something wrong. Since OC is not even reasonable suspicion for a Terry Stop, chances are that an officer stopping someone for OC is going to be reported as a negative encounter. Even so, there are probably just as many positive reports as there are negative reports.

Again, cite the examples of "negative attitude toward LEO's" that you are referring to. Otherwise, your claim just comes off as an unwarranted defensive attitude. Like I said, citing such examples, and explaining the problem with them, would help us work toward a solution. They way your doing it only makes things worse as it's just "slinging mud". What your doing does nothing but stirr up emotion, and sounds like an emotional reaction itself.

Facts please (with sugar on top:D). Cite the examples your refering to. Don't take this personally. We need to know what you are talking about. We need your help. However, if you can't cite specific examples, then it's more harm than help.

I see your point and apologize for my mistatement. I did read something last night that disturbed me but cannot seem to find it. So until I do "SORRY" with that being said I have spent a few hours on here again today. In which I have read some pretty positive stuff.

Also tonight I had dinner with a couple of LEO's to discuss OC ing in the area as suggested, and Iqoute " If we recieve a call regarding you OCing, you will be arrested for disturbing the peace. Your weapon will be confiscated. In which you may not get it back as it may become lost in the evidance room. If anyone is caught OCing in our jurisdication regardless if they have a CPL or not they will be arrested. Open carry in a holster is still considered concealed as some of the weapon is just that concealed and you could be charged with CCW. "Unqoute. This is after I provided all the information regarding OC ingprovided by this site. One of the LEO's basicly told me just get the CPL you know you can. The state has made it very easy. Why would I want to OC when I can get a CPL.

So even though these two were merely patrol officers and I expected no less I still plan on meeting with several officials within the community next week to inform them and discuss the issue.

No I did not have a recorder. Sorry.

One cool thing though I did get "Written" Permission to OC in 2 stores I stop in almost daily today... Cool!

ghostrider

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
Combine that, with this:

wardog6d wrote:

I see your point and apologize for my mistatement. I did read something last night that disturbed me but cannot seem to find it. So until I do "SORRY" with that being said I have spent a few hours on here again today. In which I have read some pretty positive stuff.
No problem. Like I said, it wasn't meant to chastise, but if you can contribute, please do.

wardog6d wrote:
...Also tonight I had dinner with a couple of LEO's to discuss OC ing in the area as suggested, and I qoute " If we recieve a call regarding you OCing, you will be arrested for disturbing the peace. Your weapon will be confiscated. In which you may not get it back as it may become lost in the evidance room. If anyone is caught OCing in our jurisdication regardless if they have a CPL or not they will be arrested. Open carry in a holster is still considered concealed as some of the weapon is just that concealed and you could be charged with CCW. "Unqoute. This is after I provided all the information regarding OC ing provided by this site. One of the LEO's basicly told me just get the CPL you know you can. The state has made it very easy. Why would I want to OC when I can get a CPL.

So even though these two were merely patrol officers and I expected no less I still plan on meeting with several officials within the community next week to inform them and discuss the issue.

No I did not have a recorder. Sorry.

One cool thing though I did get "Written" Permission to OC in 2 stores I stop in almost daily today... Cool!
LOL. Congratulations. You've just contributed to the negative experiences with LEO's on this forum. :p

ETA:

" If we recieve a call regarding you OCing, you will be arrested for disturbing the peace. Your weapon will be confiscated. In which you may not get it back as it may become lost in the evidance room. If anyone is caught OCing in our jurisdication regardless if they have a CPL or not they will be arrested. Open carry in a holster is still considered concealed as some of the weapon is just that concealed and you could be charged with CCW. "Unqoute.
So, whens the OC meet in their jurisdiction going to be planned for?