• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Read this if you are against open carry...

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Ok..I see a few posts around here from people that don't support open carry..

1) We are glad you are here. We hope you are here with an open mind and willing to review our positions and arguments for the open carry bill and ask any questions you may have.

2) Youshould be thinking about the principle of this issue. We are simply fighting for our rights. The more rights citizens have, the better. It doesn't matter if you are tall, short, skinny, fat, white, black, city, country or ANYTHING, you SHOULD carry once this bill passes simply because it is a right. If you don't utilize a right the government will find a way to take it away. I'm far from being a radical but I base 99% of my decisions on my principals.

It will be a sad day for Texas if I go out after the bill passes and don't see anyone carrying. I would hope that the majority of Texans that properly know how to use a handgun are carrying.

People simply fear the idea because they lack education and familiaraity.

I know I seem fairly confident in this passing, but a lot of work still has to be done.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Well, even if every person is not in favor of OC now, at least they are here and interested in seeing what the fuss is about. It might take time, they may change their minds or view based on a thread they click in on day.

When I joined here, I hadn't yet decided what my position on OC was, but I was curious and I came here with an open mind with the intention of learning and making a sound decision.

If not everyone comes around or understands, that's their business. But we should welcome those stepping in, even if they can be a bit antagonistic or unpleasant. The responses to them should reflect that we are all the same, gun owners who want our rights. We can't act like jerks to those who come looking for a fight. The best we can do for them and us is treat them proper and do our best to educate without alienating.

Remember, OCDO is going to get a lot of new members due to the ad campaign, both pro OC, ambivalent and antiOC. It would best serve the cause and us to put our best foot forward to all newcomers.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I agree...We have a great opportunity to educate and inform here. Thanks for that. I have made changes to my original post to reflect that.

sheepdog

imported post

SilentKTexan...great post...whether I duck hunt or not...I'd best support the duck hunters...whether I will often or seldom open carry...I'll support the Bill, because the more clear we make it to our legislators that they do our bidding, instead of us doing theirs, the better off we are...at state and Federal level...those who want to open carry have just as much right to be heard as those who wanted to conceal... and who'd'a'thunk it that we'd get so far in as short a time as we have...why not finish the course......at the end of the last Legislature, Gov. Perry said that he felt that any carry permit holder should be able to carry anywhere in the state....I think we oughta write it up and get it passed...won't overrule Federal law, but I have to drop my gun before I pay my water bill...because in the same building, are offices used by the municipal court...I used to not be able to go into the police station armed...but we changed that...with some restrictions.....we can make a change happen when we're reasonable, loud, and right....we can get this passed, too...don't let the naysayers win you over, folks...we're gonna win this!!!