• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dallas Observer Commentary Insults All Gun Owners

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2008-12-04/news/happiness-is-a-warm-gun

Happiness Is a Warm Gun

By Patrick Williams
Published on December 03, 2008 at 10:02am

Draw, pardner: How many times has this happened to you? You're out doing the grocery shopping, picking up the dry cleaning, etc. You get back to your car and realize you left your lights on. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, the lead starts flying. A crazed gunman has opened fire. You reach for your hip, forgetting momentarily that—damn!—you had to leave your hog leg at home because of a pesky Texas law that doesn't generally let citizens walk about the streets strapped. Don't you just hate that? Isn't that inconvenient?

Subject(s):open carry, concealed handguns
Oh, and on top of that, your car battery's dead.

What's that you say? You haven't been in a situation lately in which you felt the need to slap iron, and you don't think a return to the Longbranch Saloon is a good idea? Well, la-dee-dah, Mr. Civilized 2008 Person, you must be one of those types who go about blissfully unprepared for life's exigencies: no spare stamps in your desk, no jumper cables in your trunk and no desire to hang a Peacemaker from your belt.

Lucky for the rest of Texas, a group called www.opencarry.org has started an advertising drive and petition effort aimed at persuading state legislators to get with the times—the times being, apparently, 1870—and pass a law allowing Texans to carry unconcealed weapons. Supporters want the law, one of them told The Associate Press, for "the same reason I wear my seatbelt, carry a spare tire and have a working fire extinguisher." Right-o. Because putting out fires, fixing a flat and driving safely are activities in the same class as plugging one of your fellow men in the spleen with a lead slug. Better safe than sorry!

The effort to have Texas join the ranks of "open carry" states is part of what promises to be an entertaining 2009 legislative session, Second Amendment-wise. State Senator Jeff Wentworth is promising to propose a bill that would allow holders of concealed-weapon permits to carry guns on college campuses. As Wentworth noted in his online column in August, under current law, only people 21 and older can obtain concealed-carry permits except for active or honorably discharged members of the military. So under his proposal, Wentworth wrote, there wouldn't be many guns on campus. Professors and seniors, presumably—those students old enough to legally obtain alcohol and who face graduation into a cold, cold job market—would be those most likely to have permits. That could make for some lively Socratic debates about midterm grades, one imagines, which would potentially reduce the number of snot-nosed punks willing to do your job at half the wages.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Umm...well..yeah... I can't come up with a comment for that piece of ignorance and sadly...some of my peers have this happy go lucky attitude that believe that our society is perfect and doesn't warrant such a bill.

If I could open carry on a campus I would go back to school at the very liberal college I attended. That would be fun.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

This guy is a work of ART! What's this phraise "STRAPPED"? when they carried in the earlier days of statehood the phraise was "HEELED"-simply meant that you were carrying! And this scenerio, he must have been reading some "DIME" Novels.

Someone needs to let him know that "THE LONGBRANCH SALOON" is in DODGE KANSAS, The WHITE ELEPHANT is in Ft WORTH.

rodbender

imported post

We used "strapped" for it in the 60's 70's. Some of us used "heeled" around people we didn't know so they wouldn't know what we were talking about.

Castex1

imported post

This just reminds me why I am glad I don't live in the Metroplex where I might come in contact with this piece of dung newspaper. I have read it in the past and I knew very quickly thatthe slant of this rag wasnot something I would agree with.

ahill9898

imported post

Why do we need to be able to carry on College Campuses?

April 16, 2007.

Thirty-twocivilized college students died that day.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Wait... so if I were willing to shoot a professor because of a midterm grade a law prohibiting me from carrying a firearm would prevent me from committing murder?

4armed Architect

imported post

Whew! I'm relieved that Mr. Williams knows that in his future there will not be a need for him to be "strapped". He and his loved ones are safe. Now, for the rest of us, Mr. Williams, please tell me where I can get one of those crystal balls you have;). I would love to know that I will never have to be concerned about such things as defending myself or my wife.

riverrat10k

imported post

What a complete nimrod. Would love to sit this fella down in the middle of one of our OC dinners here in VA.

He would probably go to pieces and he could then be swept up with the rest of the trash.

Equinox

imported post

This is just another example of an ignorant anti-gunner trying to convince people that open carrying is somehow going to bring back the image of the wild west. It's a pathetic ploy to chisle away at our 2nd amendment rights by painting gun owners in a bad light.

We must stand up to this type of non-sense.

Legba

imported post

Yeah, I do hate that and it is inconvenient, to answer his unfunny rhetorical question. He's obviously never been the victim of a violent crime before - not that I wish that upon him or anyone else. All places and situations are safe, until they aren't. What then, funny man?

-ljp

Miracle

imported post

..........................uh.

Yeah.

Someone should tattoo "black and decker" on that man's butt.

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
You might like this... A shirt that says Do you have a freedom of speech permit?

http://www.cafepress.com/sandbarcreation.335204722#
I do, I think they are great, I saw them the other day, that's where I got the "freedom of speech permit" line. I am going to order three shirts in support oftheir workand give two of them tomy friends. Thanks.