• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pawn Shop Owner Fires Shots At Robber

Repeater

imported post

WRIC report:

Richmond Police say that just before 2:30 Tuesday afternoon, a masked gunman entered the Superior Outlet and Pawn Shop with the intention of robbing it, but the gunman got much more than he bargained for.

"I can't believe somebody would put their lives in jeopardy for a few dollars and that is exactly what he did," said store owner, Mike Shaban.

Surveillance cameras caught the whole thing on tape. The tape shows the suspect holding a gun at the store owner, Mike Shaban's side and with a store full of customers forced him to the back of the store to steal money from the register. The suspect then closed the owner in a back room, but he did not stay there for long.

"I had my gun with me so I was listening and waiting for him to leave. He didn't expect me to come out shooting," said Shaban.

But that is exactly what Shaban did as soon as he saw the suspect raise his gun. Shaban said he told the suspect to freeze before firing three rounds, leaving his store riddled with bullet holes that go straight through stereo speakers, hitting walls and shattering glass, and possibly even hitting the suspect who took off on foot during the hail of gunfire.

"I'll defend myself and my store. I am not going to let anybody try to hurt me or one of my family members," said Shaban.

tsannicolas

imported post

Repeater wrote:
WRIC report:

Richmond Police say that just before 2:30 Tuesday afternoon, a masked gunman entered the Superior Outlet and Pawn Shop with the intention of robbing it, but the gunman got much more than he bargained for.

"I can't believe somebody would put their lives in jeopardy for a few dollars and that is exactly what he did," said store owner, Mike Shaban.

Surveillance cameras caught the whole thing on tape. The tape shows the suspect holding a gun at the store owner, Mike Shaban's side and with a store full of customers forced him to the back of the store to steal money from the register. The suspect then closed the owner in a back room, but he did not stay there for long.

"I had my gun with me so I was listening and waiting for him to leave. He didn't expect me to come out shooting," said Shaban.

But that is exactly what Shaban did as soon as he saw the suspect raise his gun. Shaban said he told the suspect to freeze before firing three rounds, leaving his store riddled with bullet holes that go straight through stereo speakers, hitting walls and shattering glass, and possibly even hitting the suspect who took off on foot during the hail of gunfire.

"I'll defend myself and my store. I am not going to let anybody try to hurt me or one of my family members," said Shaban.
i'm glad he's okay. but i hope this makes the man realize that he has to go to the range to perfect his shot

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
i'm glad he's okay. but i hope this makes the man realize that he has to go to the range to perfect his shot

You are exactly right.

One of the things that I always stress to my students is that they need to go to the range and practice. If you are not proficient with your handgun, take a shooting lesson. Sometimes I go to the range to do a lesson and see too many folks shooting with some really awful habits.

I saw this girl a few weeks ago - she was right handed, shooting with the lower portion of her body in a weaver stance, with the right foot forward, instead of the left. Her upper body was in an isosoles stance. She was leaning back, and holding the gun so high that she was trying to raise her eyes to the level of the gun....and she never hit the paper one time.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don't flame me, Bro, but if you practice a lot, point shooting has its merits. I practice at the range and also use an air-soft at home. It works wonders.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Don't flame me, Bro, but if you practice a lot, point shooting has its merits. I practice at the range and also use an air-soft at home. It works wonders.

:? Did I miss a post about point shooting?

Point shooting is fine, everyone should practice that....along with your other skills. In my example, the girl was not point shooting.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Absolutely, Pro. My point (no pun intended) is that all should practice the proper skills. If you do not know the skills, have someone like yourself, teach them to you. However, point shooting really has some advantages. There are some that do not believe in point shooting and call it BS.

danbus

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Absolutely, Pro. My point (no pun intended) is that all should practice the proper skills. If you do not know the skills, have someone like yourself, teach them to you. However, point shooting really has some advantages. There are some that do not believe in point shooting and call it BS.
I am a firm believer in point shooting. My groupings with sighted aim all seem to go lower left of the X in a wide spread pattern, however with point shooting, I can attain smaller groups at what I'm pointing at.

ODA 226

imported post

danbus wrote:

I am a firm believer in point shooting. My groupings with sighted aim all seem to go lower left of the X in a wide spread pattern, however with point shooting, I can attain smaller groups at what I'm pointing at.

Snicker, snicker, giggle, giggle...:D;)

tripledipper

imported post

Point shooting today using.38'swith asteel4" service, steel 2" chiefs special and a 1-7/8" airweight revolver. Readsome expert whosaid it worksbest witha snubby, wood grips better than rubber,and itis less effective with longer barrels. I hit the target using this methodwith low recoil ammobut +p probably would make it more difficult.

Shaban

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but Mike Shaban is actually my father. I noticed everyone saying how he needs to go to the range. At the time he had been going to the range quite frequently. At the range he was actually VERY accurate. It was just the heat of the moment that caused his misses. He did hit the guy in the shoulder one time though.

Marco

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but Mike Shaban is actually my father. I noticed everyone saying how he needs to go to the range. At the time he had been going to the range quite frequently. At the range he was actually VERY accurate. It was just the heat of the moment that caused his misses. He did hit the guy in the shoulder one time though.

I'm glad it worked out for him.

IMHO, this shows why static targets and practicing on a square range isn't enough.
Folks need to be able to move and shoot and shoot moving targets.

I would sincerley hope everyone that chooses to take responsibility for their safety would consider taking a firearms course at least once from a qualified (qualitity!!!) instructor, some maybe be qualified but many lack the quality.

IMHO, those who carry should also look into active shooting sports (Pins/Steel/IDPA/IPSC) as it adds a level of stress that isn't there during target practice, using your carry gear you probably won't win but you'll know if you and your gear are up to snuff.

AIRSOFT/Air guns allow folks to practice drawing and other skills basic to complex without having to leave the home/backyard.
The law changed take advantage of it, daily. It may save your life or the life of your loved ones.

Last edited:

Ric in Richmond

IMHO, this shows why static targets and practicing on a square range isn't enough.

I would sincerley hope everyone that chooses to take responsibility for their safety would consider taking a firearms course at least once from a qualified (qualitity!!!) instructor, some maybe be qualified but many lack the quality.

IMHO, those who carry should also look into active shooting sports (Pins/Steel/IDPA/IPSC) as it adds a level of stress that isn't there during target practice, using your carry gear you probably won't win but you'll know if you and your gear are up to snuff.

AIRSOFT/Air guns allow folks to practice drawing and other skills basic to complex without having to leave the home/backyard.
The law changed take advantage of it, daily. It may save your life or the life of your loved ones.

I did some IDPA fun runs over at black creek one day. Unbelievable the increase in stress level.

Has anyone ever amped up stress level and then shot at the range? Push-ups, jog in place, people yelling at you...photos of antigun politicians...(ha) and then go to the firing line and see how you shoot?

I'd love to try it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Absolutely agree +1

Shaban

Yeah, I agree. He has taken firearms courses before, he had to when he got his concealed permit also. While at the range with the instructor, my dad did the best in the class.

DJEEPER

Having been in a situation where I had to draw my sidearm... I will say that your adrenaline is going so hard, that I can understand how it can really change things compared to a square range experience. When asked about drawing in self defense by someone in conversation, my reply is that I hope to God I never have to do it again....but I feel more prepared mentally now than I was before.

So many things go through your mind it makes is very difficult to focus on your shot placement. That is where muscle memory comes into play so you dont HAVE to think about it... you have already made the decision when you drew your sidearm in the first place. I always say this when people bring it up... to me, carrying a sidearm is 90% mental preparation, and 10% physical. If ever a time arises where you have to draw, you wont have time to think about it because your training and knowledge of your rights will make that decision and it will be over before you can even comprehend what just happened. That is why you must TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN. practice your draws (unloaded!!), practice your push-out, practice your reloads, etc until you are comfortable...then do it some more.