• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Military carry, age matter?

jerg_064

imported post

After hearing about the mil carry in ga, finding 16-11-130, and then coming to this forum i'm almost positive i have the answer, but i want direct answers/opinions from fellow 2nd amend supporters.

Since 16-11-130 clearly gives military personnel the same carry rights as LEO's, being under the age of 21 should not matter correct. There are LEO's under the age of 21. Also on this site, the map info for GA states:
Minimum Age to OC No Statutory Limit
I am 20 years old, only 4 months from turning 21, but will more than likely be "going out the door" before my birthday. And i would feel more comfortable(as all of us) carrying. As well as exercise my rights.

A second question as well, not concerning myself, i'm just curious and want the general knowledge. Since there are a decent number of individuals that join the service at the age of 17, even though they are still a minor, under 16-11-130, can they carry.

I've been around firearms my entire life, started shooting at 4 yrs old(when i fell in love with guns), and so i would not only feel more protected, but simply more comfortable because i can take my hobby with me everywhere(ever just lay your gun on your lap and look at it, and rub on it). Well enough comments open to sarcasim.

Whats your opinions?

rmodel65

imported post

16-11-130.3 doesnt discriminate based upon age, with off limits places being schools and voting booth from the code from what ive read.

ianal so i suggest you contact one. or maybe one will stroll through and give a more precise opinion

jerg_064

imported post

Well I decided to go straight to the LEOs to get a clear answer on how their department regulates 16-11-130. And they are in agreement with us that Military has the same rights to carry that they do.

I called both the Warner robins police department, and the Houston county Sheriff's department. Both are in agreement, and know the interpretation of 16-11-130(not that it could be interpreted in any other manner than what it clearly states). They still suggested to get a GFL to avoid confrontations with rookies and ignorant officers, but said if I have problems to ask to speak to their supervisor. This is on the outskirts of Robins AFB so most know the Ga Code pertaining to military i was informed.

In fact the LEO from WRPD, "Sgt. Clifton" stated that he is ex-military and knows the full extent of it. You can have a WRPD LEO that detains you speak with him, or that LEOs supervisor. I did not get the name of the Houston county officer but as stated, she was in agreement and noted that the majority of her department knows the law. FYI Houston county sheriffs dept. covers Perry, GA as well.

I asked about concealed and open carry(and though advised not to do so without a GFL so i would avoid most harassment and detainment's from the ignorant officers) and was informed it is all legal. I told them the reason that i had yet to get a GFL was because i'm only 20yrs old, they understood and also agreed 16-11-130 does not discriminate based on age.

With that load of confidence i went out and OPEN CARRIED my first time ever carrying in public to walmart, CVS, and O' Rileys'. I had no problems, most people didn't even look or notice, or simply didn't acknowledge. I saw a couple quick glances with no reaction. At walmart however, i got 2 dead stares at the firearm only as i walked past 2 elderly men separately at different locations. Thus, i believe they were more interested in the firearm(glock 17) than myself. Got smokes and a dew at CVS; wiper blades and rain-x fluid at Walmart, and a rear pinion seal for my F-150 at O'Riley's.

All in all, a "Great" carrying experience with full confidence. Tonight i'm going out with some friends to Jonny Carino's and will be open carrying. TMW I will see if i can get permission to send this information out to the entire base, group, squadron, and/or flght. The Gun-loving and law-abiding military members with super carry rights walking the streets of this city should make crime decrease, take stress off police officers, and help to get the message out to We The People that firearms are not only associated will criminals, police, and hunting/sports.

rmodel65

imported post

well make sure to send them to Georgiacarry.org and georgiapacking.org :)

jerg_064

imported post

Navy, thanks for the info, i figured there'd be a reg like that somewhere. However as rmodel said different states do have different regs. AK is only 14 yrs to OC, ME, WY, NH, and MO do not have an age limit at all. I'm sure however that they may only carry under 922 execeptions.

also, rmodel, when you said send the info to GCDO and GPDO, did you mean email the webmaster and/or admin, or simply post in their forum?

jerg_064

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
introduce your friends to http://www.georgiacarry.org and http://www.georgiapacking.org both great things.

GCO is doing a lot of stuff for GA :) plus its only 15$ and you get a lot of fight for that.
so i read in every thread, but could you answer my ??? please, i would like to let them know. but what is the most efficient method to do so?

jerg_064

imported post

TrkJky wrote:
GCO will have a table at the gun show in Macon this weekend. Would be a great time to join....:celebrate
Really!?, thats great, i was planning on going up to the gun show anyways. though i kinda need to find a different gun show than eastmans eventually, its almost always the same dealers. Is there larger gun shows in Ga than eastmans?

Also i was wondering something, since i'm mil, i'm sure that i can carry to the gun show. But as far as civilians go, would it actually be considered a PG. Or is the sign on the door that states all weapons must be unloaded a catch all.

TrkJky

imported post

There will be PG signs everywhere but I will be carrying unloaded and zip tied... I am working from 1500-1700 on Saturday. Come and sign up. I promise you won't regret it and if you do I'll personally give you back your $15 bucks....

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Merely being a member of the US Armed Forces does not give anyone seperate status under civil law. Bearing arms under military orders (as a unit)is quite different than bearing arms privately. 'Advise you not begin your military career as a guardhouse lawyer. Off base/post... 'n on yer own you are subject to whatever civil law is in effect in whatever state or municipality you happen to be in... as well as the UCMJ. Oddly... you may be tried for the sameoffense by both jurisdictions. Whatever the 'OC' law is for civilians in GA also applies to you. I dunno what your status is... Delayed Entry or NG... but I suspect you're not 'active' as yet... or even been to boot camp.However... if you're under the impression you can wander in/out of any military installation heeled, willy-nilly... you're in for a big surprise. In fact... the local'Command' may forbid military personnel carrying firearms off-base altogether... even if they live off-base. 'Suspect you'll be seriously mystified and amazed at what 'Rights' disappear on active duty... :uhoh:

I OC out of necessity to where I live... not to make any sort of 'statement' or as a 'fashion accessory'. It's not a novelty... it's a weapon.

But... I only put 20 yrs 2 mos 'n 18 days 'active' in... what doI know?

jerg_064

imported post

According to Ga co 16-11-130 military personal of the state or united states(no indication of AD only, and in the line of duty has been removed) all military person in the state of georgia are except from the carry laws. Sections 16-11-126-128. This is the EXACT same code that gives LEOs their rights to carry on or off duty without a permit. As previously stated both departments in the local area agreed, though did not advise to aviod needless complications from ignorant LEOs and unconstitutional traitors to the country.

I am indeed active duty and have been for 2 1/2 years, have done one tour in desert and am going on my second within a few weeks. I may not have 20 years military knowledge, but what you outlined is a no shit sherlock statement everyone should know that not long after tech training. I know full well of the rights that are non-existant to me, so i make sure i don't lose the ones i still have. Only 3 1/2 years left till i get my rights back and quit working for those unconstituional politicians.

I live off base, and FYI you cannot bring handguns on to base if you don't live there, only long guns and bows for hunting or the skeet range. My commander has seen me in public open carrying, while he look scared as hell as he talked to me he made sure to tell me that he will not trying to infringe on my rights. I do know that a general in alaska declined his men their rights.

And i really hope your not directing those ridiculous reasons for carrying at me, I'm a northwest country boy that's been around firearms my entire life and have been shooting them since i was 4, had a loaded one in my room since i was 12. Never have i or any of my local back home friends ever had a firearms accident. I have more respect for a firearm than around 99% of people i've met, These city slickers that joined the military scare that hell of of me with a weapon in their hands, i can't count how many times i've had barrels pointed at me during training.

The point is firearms are more than just a hobby, they're a huge part of my livelihood. I carry not only for protection or defense, not just cause it is EVERYONEs right regarless of reason, but because i'm simply very comfortable with one always in eyesight or arms reach. Am still trying to get used to sittiing some places with a sidearm on my hip though. I was born into the gunworld, not newly trained when
mommy and daddy let me off the teet after i left home and joined the service.

I interpreted your reply as rude and so I replied accordingly, hard to tell without tone of voice, but reply with an i'm a know it all attitude stating the obvious and an unresearched misleading first line and your asking for what you got.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

You asked for an opinion. You got it. As for those 17 in the military...

16-11-132. POSSESSION OF A PISTOL OR REVOLVER BY PERSON UNDER THE AGE OF 18 YEARS

(a)(1) For the purposes of this Code section, the term "pistol" or "revolver" means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term pistol or revolver shall not include a gun which discharges shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter.

(2) For the purposes of this Code section, a pistol or revolver is considered loaded if:

(A) There is a cartridge in the chamber or cylinder of the pistol or revolver;

(B) The person is carrying on his or her body or attached to his or her clothing the pistol or revolver and the ammunition for such pistol or revolver; or

(C) The pistol or revolver and the ammunition for such pistol or revolver are in such close proximity to such person that such person could readily gain access to the pistol or revolver and the ammunition and load the pistol or revolver.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this part and except as otherwise provided in this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 18 years to possess or have under such person's control a pistol or revolver. A person convicted of a first violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $1,000.00 or by imprisonment for not more than 12 months, or both. A person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a felony and shall be punished by a fine of $5,000.00 or by imprisonment for a period of three years, or both.

(c) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (d) of this Code section, the provisions of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Any person under the age of 18 years who is:

(A) Attending a hunter education course or a firearms safety course;

(B) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction where such range is located;

(C) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under 26 U.S.C. Section 501(c)(3) which uses firearms as a part of such performance;

(D) Hunting or fishing pursuant to a valid license if such person has in his or her possession such a valid hunting or fishing license if required; is engaged in legal hunting or fishing; has permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; and the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, is carried only in an open and fully exposed manner; or

(E) Traveling to or from any activity described in subparagraphs (A) through (D) of this paragraph if the pistol or revolver in such person's possession is not loaded;

(2) Any person under the age of 18 years who is on real property under the control of such person's parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian to possess a pistol or revolver; or

(3) Any person under the age of 18 years who is at such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a pistol or revolver for the purpose of exercising the rights authorized in Code Section 16-3-21 or 16-3-23.

(d) Subsection (c) of this Code section shall not apply to any person under the age of 18 years who has been convicted of a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, or who has been adjudicated delinquent under the provisions of Article 1 of Chapter 11 of Title 15 for an offense which would constitute a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, if such person were an adult.

'Nuthin' exempting 'military' in that age range. Apparently... since '97 non-resident military (for home of record) may carry w/o license... but it's still advisable to obtain one. 'Course to obtain one... you must be 21. I know of no known sworn LEO's under 21 years old in any jurisdiction.

gruntpain1775

imported post

the local'Command' may forbid military personnel carrying firearms off-base altogether... even if they live off-base. 'Suspect you'll be seriously mystified and amazed at what 'Rights' disappear on active duty... :uhoh:

What makes you think the command can restrict your Civil liberties off or on base?

They can't in either case, plain and simple. They can't tell you that you can't practice this religion or that, vote or not vote, etc....the same applies to carrying a weapon. They CAN tell you that you can't bring it on post, but they CAN NOT tell you what to do with it off post. They can't tell you that you can't carry it off post. the general in Alaska is wrong...I'm sure the Federal courts will uphold that. If YOU wish to beleive that the military can take away your rights then fine, don't lead other soldiers to beleive this is true. No rights disappear on duty. Sure they can search your car or your person on post. You drive on post you give them the right to search your car. If your in uniform they can search your person. The uniform is goverment property..so they can search it. Soldier lives in the barracks they can search that too. That belongs to the commander. If you live in on post quarters or are in Civilian attire they can't search without consent. I have dealt with these exact situations many times and know the regs and laws on both.

And please don't say "your a soldier, your government property", simply not true. That would mean the Army "ownes" the soldier and that is slavery. That is illegal. A Soldier is simply a private citizen "contracted" to perform military duties. Hence, an enlistment contract.